[SOLVED] Rtx3080 20gb will it be necessary?

Francois_11

Reputable
Feb 9, 2017
Just as the title puts it, what do all of you think?
will we need more than 10GB of VRAM for a GPU? Like 12, 16 Or maybe even 20? Ive seen so much leaks and hints towards these. So I was wondering if we should then wait for them or will the 10gb cards be enough for the next few generations of gaming?

Solution
Those are some valid points, forgot about the whole console thing where they have “caught up to pc” but i see what you are saying, i will be gaming on 1440p 144hz so this should not be a problem,
Am hoping big Navi will give Nvidia some trouble so we can see some competitive prices. In All I will be waiting patiently to see what happens

I think even so the AMD cards are not released yet, we already saw Nvidia's price drop. I really believe that Nvidia has a VERY good idea of what is coming from AMD and adjusted their pricing already! ;-) That is the only reason why we are getting 2080Ti performance for $499 (that is a $700 to $800 price drop) in form of the RTX 3070. I also still believe that the RTX 3080 was supposed to be a...
If you're doing anything that requires more than 10GB of VRAM, then you buy a 3090. Simple as that. That's what flagship cards are for, for catering to people that are doing things that require something most people don't need. Having expansive amounts of VRAM on lower model cards makes no sense for the manufacturer or the end user, because it's usually probably going to be a waste anyhow. The card is probably not going to be capable enough to require it or make use of it, because I assure you, these billion dollar companies have tested every imaginable configuration of VRAM with these card models and if there was a benefit of having more memory on lower tiered cards than what they already have, they'd offer it as an option. And that COULD happen later. It has with many other card models in the past.

I'd be a LOT more worried about the capacitor and other problems on these cards right now. This seems like a question about a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

USAFRet

Titan
But I don't really think you will run into any serious 4k gaming issue the next couple of years if you just have 10GB GDDR6. Eventually....long term yes.....so, if you plan to use the card for 4k gaming well beyond 2 years or so, maybe you want to look at 16 or 20GB.
The question didn't put a time limit on it.
"will we need more than 10GB of VRAM for a GPU? "

We will, eventually.

Otherwise, we would still be OK with 128MB/256MB/512MB.

More texture, more detail, more distance....all need VRAM.

Francois_11

Reputable
Feb 9, 2017

We will, eventually.

The
Eventually, yes.
Data increases to fill the available space.
I meant to say for next gen and the gen after that maybe?

Francois_11

Reputable
Feb 9, 2017
If you're doing anything that requires more than 10GB of VRAM, then you buy a 3090. Simple as that. That's what flagship cards are for, for catering to people that are doing things that require something most people don't need. Having expansive amounts of VRAM on lower model cards makes no sense for the manufacturer or the end user, because it's usually probably going to be a waste anyhow. The card is probably not going to be capable enough to require it or make use of it, because I assure you, these billion dollar companies have tested every imaginable configuration of VRAM with these card models and if there was a benefit of having more memory on lower tiered cards than what they already have, they'd offer it as an option. And that COULD happen later. It has with many other card models in the past.

I'd be a LOT more worried about the capacitor and other problems on these cards right now. This seems like a question about a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
I meant with gaming, will it be enough for gaming in the next 3 years or so, video editing etc. was not really in question but i see what you are saying, at least ASUS did it right.

mjbn1977

Distinguished

We will, eventually.

Agreed. But with that logic nobody should have bought a GTX 970 in 2014 because now 1080p games need more than 3.5GB VRAM in 2020.

That question by itself was a little vage.....will we need more than 10GB of VRAM? When? 2021? no! 2022? probably still not! 2023? maybe! 2024? Probably! 2035? for sure!!! ;-)

In addition the question didn't even included resolution.....So, for WQHD we probably don't need more than 8GB for a while....

And the new console will not rock much more than 10GB VRAM. So....developers most likely will use that as a guidance for the next few years....

And probably not the NEAR future, but you never know. Sometimes technology and what is supported by the various APIs takes years to make any meaningful changes and other times one new thing completely flips the script, so there is really no way to accurately "guess" what is or is not going to be needed for any particular purpose or usage. And that's without getting into the idea of what YOU "need" and what the next guy "needs" might be world's apart.

Reactions: Francois_11

mjbn1977

Distinguished
That all being said, I think it wouldn't have hurt to give the RTX 3080 12GB of GDDR6X. But the card would have been $750 or $800...

Still curious how the AMD's big navi will turn out. Especially how it will compare to RTX 3080 in terms of rasterization only, rasterization plus Ray tracing, and price. Not really interested in 16 GB (GDDR6) vs 10GB (GDDR6X)....they extra gigabytes will probably make no real world gaming differences right now....maybe down the road a couple of years. I also curious if a gaming optimized AMD card would perform better in 1440p than the Ampere cards even if they not beating them in 4k.

Reactions: Francois_11

Francois_11

Reputable
Feb 9, 2017
Agreed. But with that logic nobody should have bought a GTX 970 in 2014 because now 1080p games need more than 3.5GB VRAM in 2020.

That question by itself was a little vage.....will we need more than 10GB of VRAM? When? 2021? no! 2022? probably still not! 2023? maybe! 2024? Probably! 2035? for sure!!! ;-)

In addition the question didn't even included resolution.....So, for WQHD we probably don't need more than 8GB for a while....

And the new console will not rock much more than 10GB VRAM. So....developers most likely will use that as a guidance for the next few years....
Those are some valid points, forgot about the whole console thing where they have “caught up to pc” but i see what you are saying, i will be gaming on 1440p 144hz so this should not be a problem,
Am hoping big Navi will give Nvidia some trouble so we can see some competitive prices. In All I will be waiting patiently to see what happens

mjbn1977

Distinguished

I think even so the AMD cards are not released yet, we already saw Nvidia's price drop. I really believe that Nvidia has a VERY good idea of what is coming from AMD and adjusted their pricing already! ;-) That is the only reason why we are getting 2080Ti performance for $499 (that is a $700 to $800 price drop) in form of the RTX 3070. I also still believe that the RTX 3080 was supposed to be a slower card and they made last minute changes (mystery chip GA103). I really think that was supposed to be the RTX 3080 with fewer SM units. But changed it last minute to do expected AMD competition using the GA102 (same as RTX 3090) in order to offer more SM units.

Bottom line I really think this are already the new competitive prices. Don't expect price miracles with AMD...especially not on the enthusiast level. They also only cook with silicone....and even use a more expensive process, more VRAM. End of the day even AMD needs to make money on those cards....

Solution

Francois_11

Reputable
Feb 9, 2017
I think even so the AMD cards are not released yet, we already saw Nvidia's price drop. I really believe that Nvidia has a VERY good idea of what is coming from AMD and adjusted their pricing already! ;-) That is the only reason why we are getting 2080Ti performance for $499 (that is a $700 to $800 price drop) in form of the RTX 3070. I also still believe that the RTX 3080 was supposed to be a slower card and they made last minute changes (mystery chip GA103). I really think that was supposed to be the RTX 3080 with fewer SM units. But changed it last minute to do expected AMD competition using the GA102 (same as RTX 3090) in order to offer more SM units.

Bottom line I really think this are already the new competitive prices. Don't expect price miracles with AMD...especially not on the enthusiast level. They also only cook with silicone....and even use a more expensive process, more VRAM. End of the day even AMD needs to make money on those cards....
I was wondering about those chips, but yeah I understand now, only thing im hoping they will fix fast is the crashing issue caused by those cheaper chips in most cards, hopefully Asus will be promising.

TRENDING THREADS