Question RTX3080 Gigabyte Turbo keeps black screening while gaming.

Franj0

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2014
Here are my specs;
Windows 10 - 64 bit home use.
RTX3080 Gigabyte Turbo 10Gb
MSI A pro Z490 Mobo
32GB DDR4 3200 RAM
i5 10600 non K.
1000W Silverstone modular PSU
2 x m.2 NVME drives, 1 Samsung SSD and a WD traditional hard drive
Fractal Meshify 2 mid tower case.
8 x chassis fans.

GPU temps are not an issue max loading while gaming 74 degrees c, hot spot 80ish, and memory junction 86 degrees maximum.

I have noticed over the last month or so while gaming - normally on Red Dead 2 but now also occurs when gaming in 4k playing Day's Gone, periodically game crashes - black screen and a hard reset is required, restarting my pc.
Trouble shooting I have deduced;

MSI mobo has an extreme performance mode, and this changes The Windows power plan to Ultimate too.
When this is active, the black screens occur after a time.
When the power plan is 'balanced', the issue does not occur.

I have contacted my GPU seller as the card is under warranty, and they will consider an RMA, however if the card is deemed not faulty, then I lose 8 weeks approximately without a GPU and I wear all shipping costs incurred as no fault was identified.
My question is whether the RMA is worth doing, as this problem only commenced occurring in the last month or so, and I assume may persist regardless what power plan I use.
I will also mention that I used to have the extreme performance plan in use, and none of the black screens occurred until recently.

D

Deleted member 362816

I have to be honest. I see allot of issues with 3080s in the last few months. Similar issues but not exactly the same. I would just RMA it as long as it is going back to Gigabyte and not some idiot who has no idea what he is doing.

Franj0

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2014
I have to be honest. I see allot of issues with 3080s in the last few months. Similar issues but not exactly the same. I would just RMA it as long as it is going back to Gigabyte and not some idiot who has no idea what he is doing.

GPU goes back to the seller that does an 'RMA inspection and evaluation', if they deem it fit for return to Gigabyte, then it goes back to the manufacturer.

D

Deleted member 362816

GPU goes back to the seller that does an 'RMA inspection and evaluation', if they deem it fit for return to Gigabyte, then it goes back to the manufacturer.

Depends on the seller, I doubt they will put enough time in it to actually see the issue.