[SOLVED] RTX3080 possibly killed my computer?

Nov 10, 2020
Howdy y'all! I recently purchased an EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra and a Seasonic GX-750 to upgrade my rig from an RX590, and I got them installed and running without an issue. That was about a week ago. A few hours ago today, I was playing some Destiny 2 and I heard a sudden snapping sound followed by my display going black. The rainbow LEDs from the 3080 were replaced by a singular red light. I tried swapping around some of the PCI-E cables on it, but no dice, still got the red light. After that, I tried swapping my GPU back to the RX590, but for whatever reason it didn't seem to be getting any power, as none of the lights or the fans turned on. Thinking it was the PSU that was being screwy, I popped my old 650W Seasonic in and tried both cards again. Same red light for the 3080, same unresponsiveness from the RX590. At this point, I shined a light through the fan on the GX-750 and noticed some white paste oozing out of some of the components. Is that normal?

At this point, I can't tell if the PSU somehow fried both my graphics cards, it fried my motherboard or all of the above. Are there any other tests I can run to verify if my computer's still okay? When I power it on, regardless of the PSU, the CPU and case fans turn on correctly, and all the mobo lights turn on correctly as well. I tried connecting a HDMI cable directly to it to try and get some video output, but that wasn't working either, although I can't tell if it's because I never installed any video drivers for the mobo or cuz it's well and truly been totaled.

Nov 10, 2020
Full specs of the system?
Motherboard: GIGABYTE X570 AUROS ELITE
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X
RAM: 16GB
Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower CULLINAN MX-RED
Original Card: Sapphire Radeon Nitro+ RX 590 8GB
New Card: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB
Original PSU: Seasonic FOCUS Gold Series SSR-650FM 650W
New PSU: Seasonic FOCUS GX-750, 750W
Storage: 3x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB

TRENDING THREADS