[SOLVED] Rubber Banding on Call of Duty Modern Warefare and Counter Strike

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheShuman

Prominent
Dec 7, 2020
So I have tried everything under the sun to try and get my finger round why I am getting this problem. My first guess is that its something to do with my network however I don't seen to be changing much in Ping. I checked my firewall to see if that was issue and nope. I checked if I was losing packets nope. I checked all my hardware and updated all drivers nope. Tried different config setting to start csgo up and running out of ideas. Only thing I can think of is my internet hub but then again I'm not getting any loss of data. I have had this problem when playing call of duty modern warfare but no other games and feels like a rubber banding that you can get in Minecraft. Also tried playing on a community map on my own with bots and worked fine its only multiplayer.

I'm certain this is a internet issue due to the rubber banding effect I have in games but I haven't experienced this in any other games that I play. Totally baffles me how it is just connections to these two games and can't see any dips in my internet when playing either of them.

Here is a video that might help understand the type of lag. It happens every 30 second or so and it not major but is really off putting when playing a game like csgo. Lag time stamps : 0:05, 1:02 1:22

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTF3VCgSOGw&t=3s&ab_channel=TheShuman

Solution
That 1 ping does not mean much. Generally it takes more than that to cause a issue in a game. It could have been the google dns server was just a busy when the ping came in.

The next step is to run a tracert to the game server and then ping various hops in the path trying to find the one that is the cause of the problem. You are going to have a very hard time though finding useful data if this does not happen more often. You will generally see blocks of 2 or three spikes in a row and generally a lot of smaller ones. Your latency is very consistent.

This is going to be very hard to get fixed when it does not show up in the testing. The ISP will try similar tests and see nothing and declare the connection fine. You...
Problem is using a game to test network problems. It is such a complex thing and many things not even related to network can lag a game. Game video or driver setting tends to be the most common.

What you want to do is open mulitple cmd windows and leave a constant ping run to your router ip and some common ip like 8.8.8.8. You can use another one to the game server ip if you can find it.

Lag is almost always cuased by packet loss or huge variations in the packet latency (ie jitter). These background ping windows should confirm there is a actual network issue. Generally if you see problems to your router ip it is actually your pc. Make sure you do your testing on ethernet, wifi gets ping/lag spikes because of interference and you can't really fix that.

TheShuman

Prominent
Dec 7, 2020
Problem is using a game to test network problems. It is such a complex thing and many things not even related to network can lag a game. Game video or driver setting tends to be the most common.

What you want to do is open mulitple cmd windows and leave a constant ping run to your router ip and some common ip like 8.8.8.8. You can use another one to the game server ip if you can find it.

Lag is almost always cuased by packet loss or huge variations in the packet latency (ie jitter). These background ping windows should confirm there is a actual network issue. Generally if you see problems to your router ip it is actually your pc. Make sure you do your testing on ethernet, wifi gets ping/lag spikes because of interference and you can't really fix that.

I tried pinging while doing nothing and there is no spike but I will have a go while I'm playing a game. I can't see it being a video or driver insue due to how the lag looks while playing the game.

TheShuman

Prominent
Dec 7, 2020

I tried pinging while playing and nothing changes when I get a lag spike in the game. Also csgo must privatise or block ips of there servers as when I try to ping to one it can't be found. Any other ways to test ?

That 1 ping does not mean much. Generally it takes more than that to cause a issue in a game. It could have been the google dns server was just a busy when the ping came in.

The next step is to run a tracert to the game server and then ping various hops in the path trying to find the one that is the cause of the problem. You are going to have a very hard time though finding useful data if this does not happen more often. You will generally see blocks of 2 or three spikes in a row and generally a lot of smaller ones. Your latency is very consistent.

This is going to be very hard to get fixed when it does not show up in the testing. The ISP will try similar tests and see nothing and declare the connection fine. You need to find a way that you can show them.

This may not be a network problem though. It could be a issue with the game itself. What exactly it is though is hard to say. Pretty much anything that cuases a delay can cause this. Can be cpu, graphic card, disk, etc etc. Watch the resource monitor and see if anything stands out. These tends to be very hard to find because games have very few performance monitor abilities.

Solution

TheShuman

Prominent
Dec 7, 2020

This is going to be very hard to get fixed when it does not show up in the testing. The ISP will try similar tests and see nothing and declare the connection fine. You need to find a way that you can show them.

This may not be a network problem though. It could be a issue with the game itself. What exactly it is though is hard to say. Pretty much anything that cuases a delay can cause this. Can be cpu, graphic card, disk, etc etc. Watch the resource monitor and see if anything stands out. These tends to be very hard to find because games have very few performance monitor abilities.

Okay thank you for the help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.