Rubber coated mouse cleaning?

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015
Hi, I'm just wondering what the safest and most effective way is for cleaning finger grease build up off rubber coated mice? I've just recently got a Corsair Sabre but before that I had a Roccat Kone that pretty much has the same rubber coating as the Sabre. With the Kone I used to wipe the build up off with a small amount of nail polish remover on a cotton ball and then wipe it again with a clean cloth. Someone told me the nail polish would be safe to use. I never found the nail polish remover was eating the rubber so is this stuff actually ok to use or would some isopropyl alcohol be better?

Solution
any alcohol or bleach based cleaner can eat at the rubber to make it gummy and soft. that includes windex and clorox. i've seen the effects of this firsthand and i dont think you want a sticky feeling mouse. have not tried nail polish remover but i personally would not use it on my own mice.

i'm on my second deathadder 3.5g (the rubber coated kind as i like the feel of it) and i clean only with water and a link free towel. works fine. if you were to use any cleaner i wouldnt go more than just regular liquid hand soap on a damp cloth for any disinfecting. i do of course clean everything else that is not rubber coated with windex such as the table, keyboard, etc.

on a side note, chemicals are bad to clean your monitor with as well. i...

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015
Yeah perhaps I should just try water. I'm pretty sure it was an electronics store that told me nail polish remover would be safe to use on a rubber coated mouse. It evaporates really quickly. I'm beginning to be suspicious though if it really is safe. Just wondering if anyone knows for sure I suppose.

any alcohol or bleach based cleaner can eat at the rubber to make it gummy and soft. that includes windex and clorox. i've seen the effects of this firsthand and i dont think you want a sticky feeling mouse. have not tried nail polish remover but i personally would not use it on my own mice.

i'm on my second deathadder 3.5g (the rubber coated kind as i like the feel of it) and i clean only with water and a link free towel. works fine. if you were to use any cleaner i wouldnt go more than just regular liquid hand soap on a damp cloth for any disinfecting. i do of course clean everything else that is not rubber coated with windex such as the table, keyboard, etc.

on a side note, chemicals are bad to clean your monitor with as well. i also just use a damp cloth with water for that too.

Solution