[SOLVED] Rubber residue on controller, and now I can't wash the smell from my hands

chaoyang

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
Hello,

Not sure if this is the right section to ask this, but just yesterday while I was cleaning around, I found an old TV remote controller.

However, it seems that the rubber has turned into a slimy liquid residue over the past years, which ultimately got onto my hand. Although I managed to wash the liquid away without a problem, the smell of rubber stayed even after a whole day. I tried washing with soap and shampoo but smell returns after like 2 minutes or so.

Any suggestions?

Any help is appreciated :)

Solution
You can try vinegar but eventually, the part of the skin, where rubber made contact, will wear off and the smell also goes away.

Btw, human skin is like sponge, that can "suck in" liquids, hence why the smell remains, even after washing.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
You can try vinegar but eventually, the part of the skin, where rubber made contact, will wear off and the smell also goes away.

Btw, human skin is like sponge, that can "suck in" liquids, hence why the smell remains, even after washing.

Reactions: chaoyang
Solution

chaoyang

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019

Thanks. I'll try that after buying more vinegar, ran out of vinegar last time and forgot to restock last week :/

Reactions: Aeacus

gamerbrehdy

Honorable
Jun 15, 2018
Hello,

Not sure if this is the right section to ask this, but just yesterday while I was cleaning around, I found an old TV remote controller.

However, it seems that the rubber has turned into a slimy liquid residue over the past years, which ultimately got onto my hand. Although I managed to wash the liquid away without a problem, the smell of rubber stayed even after a whole day. I tried washing with soap and shampoo but smell returns after like 2 minutes or so.

Any suggestions?

Any help is appreciated :)

Sweat it out, or let it fade over time, it'll go away by itself. If you're not constantly sniffing your hands, you should be fine.
(Props to you though, this might just be the most bizarre topic I've ever read here😂)

Reactions: chaoyang