[SOLVED] Rufus is sucking the life out of my flash drives

Fizbin69

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2014
Last month I bought a Transcend 32 GB USB 3.0 flash drive and I used it a few times to put a couple files on my PS3. After that I used the drive to install windows on my PC via Rufus. After a successful Windows install, I formatted the same drive to FAT32 and stuck it in my PS3 and now it no longer reads the drive.

Well it just happened again with ANOTHER Transcend drive that I just bought. Once again, this drive worked in my PS3 and then I used it to install Windows on another PC using Rufus. Upon doing that this drive also no longer works in my PS3.

So what the heck is Rufus doing? And how can I undo the damage? It's almost like these drives are still formatted to NTFS (which the PS3 can't read) even though Windows reports them as Fat 32.

Can anyone recommend a third party program to format? Thanks!

Solution
Ok, it wasn't quite as nefarious as I thought. I figured out that the USB flashdrive was formatted to a GPT partition (via Rufus) which I guess doesn't work with the PS3. So doing the following in CMD fixed the drive...

DiskPart
List Disk
Select Disk #
Clean
Convert mbr
Create Partition Primary
Active
format fs=fat32 quick

Fizbin69

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2014
Ok, it wasn't quite as nefarious as I thought. I figured out that the USB flashdrive was formatted to a GPT partition (via Rufus) which I guess doesn't work with the PS3. So doing the following in CMD fixed the drive...

DiskPart
List Disk
Select Disk #
Clean
Convert mbr
Create Partition Primary
Active
format fs=fat32 quick

Solution