Rufus made my USB write protected!I can't format it now!Please help me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maq___

Honorable
Nov 15, 2015
Hi all,

I was trying to make a USB bootable ,with the Rufus tool,but before completing of the process of making the USB bootable, something went wrong and the process was interrupted, and the USB has some files in it and it is write-protected now,so I can't format it!

I tried to fix this issue via Regedit,via the EaseUS Partition Manager,via the Windows Disk Management,via CMD ,but neither of them helped to format it and remove the write protection!

Please help me to remove the write protection!

It is a PQI 8 GB 2.0 USB drive!
And my OS is Win 10!

Please help me!
Thanks to all in advance!
Best regards!

Solution
I would run a diag tool on the usb drive to ensure it is not damaged or corrupted. I've seen this happen many times with a cheapo damaged USB drive. It's their way of telling you not to use it because it is broken so it locked the drive.

I use Rufus all the time and have only ran into this issue with defective USB thumb drives. Its not caused by Rufus directly. The issue is caused by Rufus formatting and rewriting across all sectors of the thumb drive which finds the corruption. If the drive is corrupted, it only would have been a matter of time before you attempted to write data on that sector and it would have corrupted\locked the drive as well. Regardless of using Rufus or not.

Long story short. Run a software to test the drive...

Maq___

Honorable
Nov 15, 2015

Thank you for replying!
I tried with this command: ATTRIBUTES DISK CLEAR READONLY , but it didn't work!
Then I try the DISKPART and the Clean command but it didn't work too! Please help me!

I would run a diag tool on the usb drive to ensure it is not damaged or corrupted. I've seen this happen many times with a cheapo damaged USB drive. It's their way of telling you not to use it because it is broken so it locked the drive.

I use Rufus all the time and have only ran into this issue with defective USB thumb drives. Its not caused by Rufus directly. The issue is caused by Rufus formatting and rewriting across all sectors of the thumb drive which finds the corruption. If the drive is corrupted, it only would have been a matter of time before you attempted to write data on that sector and it would have corrupted\locked the drive as well. Regardless of using Rufus or not.

Long story short. Run a software to test the drive before moving on with repairs.

Solution

Maq___

Honorable
Nov 15, 2015

Ok,thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS