RuggedKey USB 3.0 Drive Survives 100m Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.
falling on grass... with no moving parts... I bet my Corsair flash drive would be fine for this test as well. Dropped on concrete... that may be a different story.

I imagine the hardest part is finding your flash drive if you drop it from 100m without having spotters looking for where it lands.

mrmaia

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
It kinda looks like a mini orange grenade in the 2nd photo. I wonder what happens if you walk with one of those in an airport.

[citation][nom]caedenv[/nom]falling on grass... with no moving parts... I bet my Corsair flash drive would be fine for this test as well. Dropped on concrete... that may be a different story.I imagine the hardest part is finding your flash drive if you drop it from 100m without having spotters looking for where it lands.[/citation]
I guess that's why it's orange.
Anything that's lightweight, has no moving parts and is wrapped in shock-absorbing foam will survive that fall. You could take your USB drive and wrap it in something like this and voila, you have a shock resistant drive without the price premium.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
You could have dropped it from 10 miles up with the same result.
The little ah heck will reach 'terminal velocity' after a fewseconds and than continue falling at a more or less constant speed; and landing onto 'grass' is of course cheating. How about a nice parking lot ? :)

Xenturion

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
With something as light as a Flash Drive, I'm fairly certain there's a great number of them who could survive such a fall, even onto concrete. Sure, it may crack the cover and case, but I'd bet you they'd still work.

festerovic

Distinguished
I've been waiting/for a girl like you
To come into my heart/With USB 3.0 speed

can I run over it? Can a fat man step on it? Also does not look 2 year old proof (no slidey thing)These are more important than dropping off a 10 story building.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]Yes, but can you drop a 10 story building on it? That's the real test...[/citation]

LOL; good one ! Thanks for making me smile :)

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]You could have dropped it from 10 miles up with the same result.The little ah heck will reach 'terminal velocity' after a fewseconds and than continue falling at a more or less constant speed; and landing onto 'grass' is of course cheating. How about a nice parking lot ? :)[/citation]

Or, roll it over with a steamroller. :)

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Dropping it from a mile high (or more) would have the same result. Once the device reaches terminal velocity, the distance doesn't matter. Nice marketing hooey though for the uninformed.

I bought a corsair flash drive a few years ago. With it being covered in all sides with rubber i was able to throw it against a wall and it still works cause it just bounces off. It's even been through the washer / dryer cycle a few times. Saying a device with no moving parts is able to survive a shock isn't saying much. But i bet this flash drive won't "blend" as well as mine would.

G

I had an LED flashlight once that never worked again after I dropped it once from maybe 1.5m onto tile floor, and that didn't have any moving parts. Shock forces can physically damage anything, including solid-state circuitry. Crush resistance is always good, and while it is true that most people don't crush their gadgets severely even by accident, powerful crush force sources are more common than you'd think. A small woman in high heels produces more ground crush pressure than most vehicles. Making the device waterproof and high/low-temperature tolerant is pretty good too, but I think it's only that tough with the case on. I myself tend to lose the caps for flash drives so I would only get something like this if the armored case was tethered to the drive itself.

So, in conclusion, if you have to swallow your data stick to prevent it being captured by enemy agents, remember to leave the cap on. It makes things less unpleasant for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.