Rumor: 12.9-inch iPad Coming Early 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
Well I have had a few people asking me if they made an iPad larger than the 9.7" model. So I could see this if it comes in around 1.2 lbs. It might even have a plastic back.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

Even when paired with a keyboard, a 13" tablet would be pretty clumsy. My guess is most people would never use it undocked therefore a traditional notebook would be a better option. In my opinion this holds true for just about anything bigger than 10". Around 7-9" seems to be the idea form factor.

kenyee

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
Surrrrreeeee.....just like the 5" iPhone that was supposed to show up in 2013. Sounds like vaporware FUD to me. Anything to keep iOS people from trying something else... :p

Immaculate

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
Maxipad ohh my that is some good stuff, and to think someone actually believed maxi pad enough to publish it. Im guessing the translation is supposed to be ipad max.

Folks, a letter-sized sheet of paper with 0.5" margins has a 12.5" diagonal; with 3/4" margins it's 11.8" diagonal. An A4-sized sheet of paper with 2 cm margins is 12.1" diagonal. I've always maintained that 12"-13" diagonal is the perfect size for a tablet. The 9.7"-10.1" tablets we've been living with so far are a concession to technology not yet being good enough to provide paper-like size at a reasonable weight and price.

7" diagonal with a 16:9 or 16:10 aspect ratio is pretty much a spot-on match for the text area of a paperback book. That's why that size tablet has been so successful. And 12"-13" diagonal is pretty much a spot-on match for the text area of a piece of paper (4:3 if letter-sized, 3:2 if A4). That's what it's going to take for tablets to truly replace the clipboard and paper. Remember, that's the ultimate competitor here -- not the iPad or Galaxy Tab, but paper. Once the technology is able to deliver it at a reasonable weight and price, I expect the 12"-13" tablets to completely take over and 10" tablets to become a distant memory.

schnitter

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
So they want to make something that doesn't need to be bigger bigger (iPad) and keep the same small screen on something that DOES need to go bigger (iPhone). And to top it off, they call it the Maxi-Pad.... I hope they get sued by lady products company.

cmi86

Distinguished
Apple finally jumping on the "make it bigger" wagon ?? Gee that only took 5 years, so crapple but you are a little late to the party. People are already onto your bullshit and there is no saving that.

RealBeast

Titan
Great, a still bigger iPad held overhead for photos at weddings and funerals.

I was at a wedding this summer and it was so bad that my nephew finally just held up a giant piece of cardboard over his head to mock the fools, and they didn't even get it. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.