Rumor: AMD R9 390X 'Captain Jack' In The Offing

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aviconus

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
I hope this holds some weight. I am currently saving for new GPUs, and was about to settle for 2 x GTX970's but I have been optomistic that AMD would be nearing a release of their next line. Hopefully they get around to releasing this in the next few weeks, or atleast confirm the numbers.

leeb2013

Honorable

presumably the smaller die will get hotter, as with Ivy Bridge/Haswell, due to less silicon in contact with the heat sink.

j0ndafr3ak

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
Well, if that's a 390x, cool! But if that's a 380x, I can't really imagine what a 390x can do, let alone a 395x2. It's time prices go down a bit. Bring it on, AMD!

AMDsucksDICK

Reputable
Dec 2, 2014
AMD is GARBAGE!!! That's not a AMD card you morons......AMD will never be as efficient as Maxwell, AMD produces cheap, hot, loud piece of shit gpus....
Did the 290X beat the 780ti? Nope.
So why would you think AMD will stand a chance this year??

Undying89

Distinguished

You sir are an idiot.

if GPU can do it all nvidia will not make their own CPU.

hannibal

Distinguished

I don't normally like to bash anyone, but in the history of GPU the first Ferny by Nvidia was hot, did eat a lot of energy and was no good, while the AMD card was efficient and nice. At this moment Maxwell is efficient and AMD is not... this change has happened many times in the history of graphic cards... and it will happen again. (aka BSG)
It is a good thing! Sometimes they get is right, sometimes they don't. It keeps competition in good level! Now Intell can make sub-par CPU improvements, because nobody can compete. In GPU world sometimes Nvidia has upper hand, sometimes AMD so in the future, we most likely will see efficient and not so efficient cards form both camps! And it is just good thing. It means better GPU to us customers in the long run!

TheMentalist

Distinguished

I smell a troll...

Computer LVR

Honorable
May 11, 2012
I just realized that amd beat nvidia on the HMB thing, nvidia was going to do this with pascal but if amd does use it before nvidia it will be a great thing for them.

correction I dont know if nvidia will use HMB for Pascal but they said they were going to use 3d vram which hmb does use

nothing new really. AMD also the first to use GDDR5. but to be exact it is not confirm for AMD as well. some rumor i heard only the high end model might use HBM.

childofthekorn

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013

And here I am wanting to upgrade to a 7950, lolololol

childofthekorn

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013

It'll more than likely be a 380(x) as the 390(x) will be (attempting? no benchies yet for either!!!) competing with Titan 2/Z. Also it was stated that the 390(x) will require hybrid air/water cooling, and at that wattage, its unlikely its the 390(x). All assumptions, still waiting for verification from 3rd parties.

childofthekorn

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013

HBM* (High bandwidth memory)

Nvidia apparently has HMC (Hybrid Memory Cube) in the works for their successor to the 980. I haven't been able to confirm this, however. It has better speeds, but at a higher cost and the speeds we won't need for quite some time, if ever (never know, might be better tech out there).

Status
Not open for further replies.