Rumor: AMD Updating R9 280 with Efficient Tonga GPU

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012
My undervolted 7970 ran on 135w at 950/1375 clocks in furmark. I could easily see them get this card to use 100w and perform as well as a 7970 as long they clock the memory at 7000 MHz effective. They would also save a lot of money only using 2GB of RAM and a less complex memory bus.

houldendub

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011

Pretty much this. I'm calling it now, the 290X and 290 will become the 380X and 380.

Graphics card manufactures are boooooorrriiiinnnggg nowadays. We really need a decent third party to give Nvidia and AMD a kick up the arse.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
The mining craze made it difficult for non-miners to buy Radeons, and its fall from grace means it's cheaper to get a hold of one. I suppose it could hurt AMD but it depends on how much they ramped up production to compensate for the rush. In any case, whenever the next series of cards comes, AMD will want to offload the remaining Rx 2xx series cards.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Um... could ya please not do that, AMD? You could call it the R9 285X or maybe the R9 280XT... or hell, you could call it the R9 280X-Super-Boosted-1000-Arcade-Retro-Extreme-Megaton-Edition-Turbo-99 for all I care but could you please do something so that consumers don't have to stand there scratching their heads wondering if their purchasing the right version of their GPU?
A bit like NVIDIA and their three versions of the GT 730.

FastGunna

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
My question is, will it be crossfire compatible with Tahiti 7950/70 280/X? I seriously doubt it will but given that I want to crossfire a 280x with my 7970 in the future, I would be interested to know. If it did offer identical performance and lower power consumption, I might consider picking one of these up but that's assuming there are 3GB models and that architecture doesn't cause problems.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
amd vs nvidia is pretty simple

AMD wins in Price vs Performance
Nvidia wins in Performance per Watt.

Amd does it cheaper, but uses more power and creates more heat. that's why nvidia and intel dominate mobile gpu's

The specs of 2048 steaming processors with only 256bit bus would suggest is less powerful than the 280X but possibly as powerful as the 280. I think AMD is going to call this new gpu the r9 275 and price it around $199. This would be a nice little gpu if it only requires a single 6 pin. My question tho is could this new design be completely dx12 compatible?

InvalidError

Titan

A narrower memory bus did not prevent the Maxwell 750 from competing against the R7-265. If AMD reduced their GPU's memory bandwidth dependence in a similar way, they could bring 280-class performance down to 256bits memory width.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

Comic you got rated down for the truth. I'd add also that NV/Intel own the top because they usually win period more often than not, and that is also why there's a "surcharge" so to speak. That surcharge doesn't just get perf claims it also comes with more R&D all around (drivers etc). Everyone makes mistakes, but these two make less of them and charge you for it. You don't see many complaining about compatibility, failures etc on INTEL boards (chipset and board intel I mean), which is why business builds a crapload of systems around them (reliability) in enterprise. They can more easily afford to pay for that "feature" (is WORKING properly really a feature? LOL). It's quite amazing AMD does as well as they do considering they don't make anywhere near what the other two do, and I hope that changes soon. But it won't until AMD stops pricing themselves to death. I think this year is shot though, as they appear to be about to take a 30-40% hit on cards due to build-up hoping mining would continue.

I'll say it again management is KILLING AMD, how dumb are these people running their great tech into the ground with bad business decisions? If management would quit doing stupid stuff they might make some real cash. Anyone reading about asics for scrypt etc should have known the party started ending in april and would be completely over in June (here we are!). Management made a stupid ATI deal (3x what should have been paid), made stupid WSA with GF over and over after being forced to give up their fabs (due to ATI stupid deal), completely missed the ball on ARM by 4-5yrs (should be on R5 like Tegra), blew it again now on mining, went console instead of CORE tech like cpus and gpus (drivers mostly got shafted, product ok but drivers for last gen still are not done, dx9/10 users appear screwed forever) etc. In the process they now have less R&D spending than NV (not even in the race with intel), and have 30% less engineering to come up with great products for next year etc. AMD has great employees, and amazingly they come up with some great products. But they get screwed by lack of resources to HELP their great stuff and end up having to sell for lower pricing vs. Intel/AMD. The layoffs happened over the last 3 years, and it takes about that time or more to come up with this stuff so we're about to see how bad it has hurt them probably at 20nm. Hawaii and the current APU's, etc were probably mostly done before those people left. I don't know how their going to compete with less people and now less R&D for this next wave of APU or GPU.

I don't see how AMD digs themselves out of this yet. Intel is coming for the GPU on the apu just to fight off ARM's advance on the low end (can't have ARM desktops take 21% like chromebooks already have, they have to stop this), and NV clearly did their homework on power for Maxwell so even if AMD has a decent answer NV has a lot of power to amp things up if needed to get a perf crown at higher wattage/heat at 20nm. They have a very tough road ahead, especially if management keeps attacking their profits in one way or another which will cause further drops in R&D (has been dropping for 4yrs) or worse the engineers getting cut again that actually make the stuff they can sell to begin with. They really need to get bought and in a hurry, backed by someone that can put more engineers and R&D cash to work. Otherwise, I fear AMD will end up losing the small pies they do have now to NV/Intel/ARM armada. The low-end (where AMD lives in apu) is ARM/Intel's new battleground and the bulk of revenues come here. GPU is never an easy race and isn't making tons of cash even now (with a huge hit seemingly looming in two weeks at the Quarter), so what will the be able to pile up serious profits with soon? Intel is willing to price AMD to death (accidentally) to slow ARM's progress on the low-end (practically giving away mobile chips at a Billion loss yearly now). NV has the R&D/profits/cash on hand (~3.7B - not counting the loan they took for new building that got delayed, assuming they'll just give that back or something, temporarily showing more debt and more cash than is real) to fight for a LONG time in GPU, so where will AMD get a 500mil profit surge from? Lots of competition in ARM servers hence samsung/NV giving it up for a bit (maybe Denver can serve that also, so no need for boulder? who knows), calxeda already belly up etc. That won't be a profit stream you can count on. What else is there? Consoles already both off 50%+ only after a quarter, probably worse this Q.

We should all be praying for them to get bought at this point so they can put out a LEADER product backed with the best drivers/support etc to help whatever product that is.

coffeecoffee

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
I've been considering getting a R9 280x for some-time now. If they release a more efficient version that's under 200W TDP, I will definitely jump ship and upgrade my EVGA GTX660. I just hope they won't charge a ridiculous premium for it.

Coffee

wtfxxxgp

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
Why even make a article about AMD when everyone here loves to bash on it? Nvidia die hard fans i suppose... Waiting for the ASUS STRIX R9 280 iv seen what a hd 7950 could do so i cant wait to get my hands on it.

I don't get the whole concept of "fanboyism". We're all consumers. I know we don't all make our purchasing decisions with our heads (or else Ferrari wouldn't have a market) but on the whole, having 2 or more elite companies providing competing products is good for the average consumer. Saying that ATi is inefficient (as a generalisation) does not make me an NVidia fan (even though I do own one of their old cards). It just means that I've noted from MANY sources that ATi is less efficient than Nvidia on the whole. That's called a fact. I'm not a fan of either, I like them both as friends. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.