Rumor: Apple to Launch 13-inch MacBook Pro by October

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
And as usual, they're going to be a pain in rear end to repair.

"Yeah, one of my RAM sticks died."

"That's a $1500 repair job."

"Uh, what?"

"Well, since everything is soldered or glued, we have to replace the motherboard, CPU, GPU, wireless and bluetooth device, and the SSD."

"**** you."

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
I really dont like the glue together thing, but if Apple is being serious about their customer, these mac book pro should have come with full hardware warranty for 5years as default.

I probably will shut up about this issue and only focus on complaining the price.

allenpan

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
bye-bye those crappy repaiur shop, who only knows parts and swap, seriously i like the glue togetherm you just need BGA station to fix it, also, glue togther has alot of advantage: such as prevent solder fatigue and corrosion, and now the fix is a "reginal" fixing

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
They should replace their entire MacBook Pro and MaBook Air line with just the 13" and 15" retina display models.
(unless the Air is significantly lighter than the 13" retina pro)

Kill the cost reduced crap (current MacBook Pros are a bit of a joke) and only make the good stuff.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]andy_newton[/nom]It's ok. The glue together thing will actually cost Apple more to repair. They'll realize it by second year.[/citation]

Don't worry, they'll make enough money from overpriced upgrades ($100-$200 from 8GB to 16GB for example) and repairs to overshadow any increased replacement (not repair) jobs.

hp79

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
I tried MBP 15 Retina in a apple store, and it was sluggish/choppy when scrolling in Safari. Then I went to the regular MBP 15 tried the same thing, it was really smooth. It almost looked like 30 fps vs 60 fps difference, or Android Gingerbread's home screen choppiness vs iOS's fluid smooth home screen.

I really want the high resolution and the clarity so I was waiting for the new 13" with Retina, but that was a major disappointment that I might have to wait for Haswell. Gotta admit, pushing that much pixels might be a tough job for intel HD4000.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
[citation][nom]hp79[/nom]I tried MBP 15 Retina in a apple store, and it was sluggish/choppy when scrolling in Safari. Then I went to the regular MBP 15 tried the same thing, it was really smooth. It almost looked like 30 fps vs 60 fps difference, or Android Gingerbread's home screen choppiness vs iOS's fluid smooth home screen.I really want the high resolution and the clarity so I was waiting for the new 13" with Retina, but that was a major disappointment that I might have to wait for Haswell. Gotta admit, pushing that much pixels might be a tough job for intel HD4000.[/citation]

Considering it can play starcraft 2 and diablo 3 on medium-high settings at 2880x1800 I very much doubt it has a problem with scrolling in Safari. Heck the new iPad is pushing 2048x1532 and it has a way less powerful CPU and GPU and it scrolls completely smoothly.

" saying Apple will ramp up production of a 13-inch Retina Display MacBook Pro in September"

Production? Please show me an Apple FACTORY where they manufacture stuff (not assemble nor commission stuff to be made by others)...

...I thought so.

[citation][nom]hp79[/nom]I tried MBP 15 Retina in a apple store, and it was sluggish/choppy when scrolling in Safari. Then I went to the regular MBP 15 tried the same thing, it was really smooth. It almost looked like 30 fps vs 60 fps difference, or Android Gingerbread's home screen choppiness vs iOS's fluid smooth home screen.I really want the high resolution and the clarity so I was waiting for the new 13" with Retina, but that was a major disappointment that I might have to wait for Haswell. Gotta admit, pushing that much pixels might be a tough job for intel HD4000.[/citation]
Buddy, I'm with you here. Why you got voted down is beyond me, as you were just sharing your experience.
If such high resolutions were not a problem to be pushed by current (and immediate future) graphics cards (without scalable solutions, like Crossfire or SLI), then EVERYONE would be gaming at such res without a problem. Unless Intel's HD4000 found the holy grail of graphics world (more output with less computational power - the equivalent of a perpetuum mobile in graphics sector)....

AidanJC

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011

Sounds like it didn't switch over to the 650M. More than likely for battery life reasons...

halcyon

Splendid
TBH, I hate that nothing in the Retina MBP is upgradeable. i'm not sure I'm ready to sacrifice the ability to replace the SSD, RAM, and optical disk (for a HDD) all for that beautiful display. I think 1680x1050 and the ability to do the aforementioned is a better fit for me. I'm glad Apple still offers that.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
[citation][nom]tanjo[/nom]A new twist on "disposable".[/citation]

You hit the nail squarely on the head with the sledgehammer....

These things display all of the characteristics of disposable garbageware:
Proprietary.
Non-Upgradeable.
Specific purpose: light entertainment(Movies, music, light games, internet browsing, email, and thats about it)
OS is on lockdown.
Third party apps are virtually on lockdown or discouraged.

This isn't new with apple, but as time goes by it seems to just get worse and worse. Eventually it's going to come to a head, we see it time and time again in the WinTel platform: A renegade company tries to make some proprietary interface of some sort and it quickly dies.

You already see tons of people trading in their iPhones for something else like at GameStop for example....

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]You already see tons of people trading in their iPhones for something else like at GameStop for example....[/citation]

Want to help my count the amount of gullible people lining up for Apple's semi-new products at the Apple Stores?

ForTehNguyen

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
[citation][nom]SneakySnake[/nom]Considering it can play starcraft 2 and diablo 3 on medium-high settings at 2880x1800 I very much doubt it has a problem with scrolling in Safari. Heck the new iPad is pushing 2048x1532 and it has a way less powerful CPU and GPU and it scrolls completely smoothly.[/citation]

20 fps in Act 1 of Diablo 3, where not much happens, a game with the most lax system requirements in recent memory. If it can only hit an average of 20 fps in Act 1, it will not be playable later in the game

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]OS is on lockdown.Third party apps are virtually on lockdown or discouraged.[/citation]

Third party apps "virtually on lockdown" or "discouraged"? eh? Have u ever even used a Mac?

Mac OS isn't iOS!
iOS is "locked down", but you can install and run anything u like on OS X.

G

If the resolutiion on the Retina 13" MacBook Pro is going to be 2560X1600, what are they going to use to push the pixels with? The HD4000 graphics would seem to be inadequate, and a full tilt GPU will end up making battery life extremely short, and the system will run exctremely hot, if it doesn't catch fire. There is a lot less room inside the 13" MBP than in the 15" MBP, and the 15" MBP is jammed solid altready. I know about the "new" cooling system in the 15" Retina MBP, but that works with two fans, and I have my doubts about it being able to cool a Retina machine (with i7 (probably dual core, not quad core) and GPS) with one fan.

Kostas

ForTehNguyen

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
If the resolutiion on the Retina 13" MacBook Pro is going to be 2560X1600, what are they going to use to push the pixels with? The HD4000 graphics would seem to be inadequate, and a full tilt GPU will end up making battery life extremely short, and the system will run exctremely hot, if it doesn't catch fire. There is a lot less room inside the 13" MBP than in the 15" MBP, and the 15" MBP is jammed solid altready. I know about the "new" cooling system in the 15" Retina MBP, but that works with two fans, and I have my doubts about it being able to cool a Retina machine (with i7 (probably dual core, not quad core) and GPS) with one fan.

Kostas

Notice half of the retina machine is filled with batteries, theres no room for an optical drive and all the standard features that it used to come with. Same thing is going to happen to a 13" MBP but theres even less room there. Apple is really pushing the tradeoffs and compromises, not truly improving the entire product. IMO Retina display has too many compromises for what you gain. IPad3 had a number of tradeoffs. Crazy resolution on a laptop isnt always a good thing because now you need stronger video cards, better cooling, and/or bigger batteries to get the same performance. Then at the same design they are trying to push the chassis thinner and thinner which has its own compromises. A design ceiling is going to be hit soon and its going to be hard.

halcyon

Splendid

TBH, the MacBook Pros were already svelte, I didn't really think they needed to be thinner. ...still now that you can't even change the RAM in a "Pro" machine is a bit worrisome to me. I do think that compromise was worth it. ...but they've only added another choice with this new machine so gotta keep that in perspective. I imagine the 15" rMBP will sell better than the 17" MBP it seems to have replaced.

G

All your complaiing about compriising for retina, that won't be the case after igzo screen become the norm

Status
Not open for further replies.