Rumor: Dell May Purchase AMD

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfby

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
I don't think that Congress would allow this to happen as it would give Dell an unfair advantage in market share and their ability to leverage AMD to their advantage against their competitors.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
[citation][nom]jfby[/nom]I don't think that Congress would allow this to happen as it would give Dell an unfair advantage in market share and their ability to leverage AMD to their advantage against their competitors.[/citation]

I take from your comment that you're an expert on mergers & acquisitions and antitrust law?

G

Good God no! Intel and AMD fanboys can put their differences aside here. I think we can all agree that Dell sucks.

ares1214

Splendid
Why the hell would Dell want AMD?! The rumour they may be bought out isn't entirely absurd, but dell?! No. More likely IBM, Samsung, some company that actually deals with CPU's. If this happens, the computer market, and probably Dell along with AMD may be screwed. On the other hand, Dell is the most popular OEM, AMD would gain huge market share, and therefore make enough money to fund a decent research program. That is if dell limits itself to only AMD. But still, not happening. Don't scare me like that! :lol:

dconnors

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
[citation][nom]Restatement3dofTed[/nom]I take from your comment that you're an expert on mergers & acquisitions and antitrust law?[/citation]
You don't need to be an expert to see the forest through the trees, chief.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]jfby[/nom]I don't think that Congress would allow this to happen as it would give Dell an unfair advantage in market share and their ability to leverage AMD to their advantage against their competitors.[/citation]

no, its buissness, if anything they would go after intel.

amd if i remember right is at best a 10% market share, cpu wise, no clue what ati is but im guessing less than 40%

its not like dell is the leading computer manufacture, buying the leading cpu manufacture, and thorughtly killing any compititon.

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Restatement3dofTed[/nom]I take from your comment that you're an expert on mergers & acquisitions and antitrust law?[/citation]

You think Intel wouldn't be furious if they lost the Dell market? It will get challenged hardcore.

Jarmo

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
My guess? I'm glad you asked!

Dell is milking Intel for some advertisement funding, better deals on chips and anything else they can! And Intel will pay as they cannot afford/dare to call the bluff, losing Dell as a customer would sting too much.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Please for the love of GOD! I hope this does not happen, Dell is horrible!

Also, how funny would this be, seeing that a little while back, It was dell who was basically selling 95% intel products due to "rebates" tthat Intel was strong-arming at them and other OEM's... Now they will exclusively hold the AMD line if this is true, I'll believe it when i see it...

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
What's in it for Dell? They limit themselves to second class processor performance and give themselves the responsibility of improving it in order to survive, and in the mean time the other OEM's have superior Intel hardware in them. Why would Dell want to enter that fight? As it is now all they have to do is watch to see who wins and then buy more of that side's product.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
This doesn't make sense on a lot of levels.

Intel not selling Sandy Bridge in numbers shouldn't make people run for AMD. AMD is worse than Intel's two generation old stuff; a Penryn is still faster than AMD stuff. Nehalem is way faster. They would go there.

What would this do to Intel's relationship with Dell? Would Dell be willing to damage the relationship with the premier maker, to get a low-end parts supplier? Would Dell's customers be OK with inferior products? Well, they have been, so maybe yes. But, they'd lose a lot of customers that want Intel, and Dell buying AMD would end their relationship with Intel. It would have to. How could Dell tell people to buy AMD when they themselves sell mostly Intel?

Also, Dell is only a cardboard box maker. They have never been a technology company, unless you consider new cardboard composites technology. They are allergic to innovation, and the expenses it entails. Since AMD doesn't make motherboards, it's really hard to see how this makes any sense at all. On top of all this, it would spell the end to ATI, since competitors would not want to buy from Dell.

Processors and GPUs need a lot of investment money. Dell buying AMD would lower, dramatically, market share because HP isn't going to want to buy from them, and other OEMs will be the same. It just makes no sense at all, on any level.

Dell buying Centaur, and the chipset business from VIA might be worth talking about. But, AMD makes no sense.

linford585

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
An OEM buying out a chip manufacturer (while I am no expert in anti-trust litigation, so correct me if I am wrong) I believe would very much be allowed (its more of move towards a vertical monopoly, of which, are not illegal). Vertical monopolies entail a company buying up all businesses within its production line, and as long as a horizontal monopoly (the illegal kind) does not form somewhere within this line, there can sometimes be a lot of money to be made through this (although initially very expensive) business practice...

A good example of a vertical monopoly in this case would be:
Dell buys chip manufacturers to produce their own parts.
Dell buys shipping companies to be able to ship all products themselves.
(and so on and so forth)

Hatecrime69

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
i'd be surprised if dell had the cash to buy amd, not to mention their nearly lineup is nearly all intel and i doubt intel would be willing to make a deal for their competition to sell their (admittedly) better laptop cpu lineup.

If you ask me, this is just a 'news' article meant to spread rumors and screw with stock prices, i doubt dell would ever really consider such a thing

liquidchild

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
If dell buys AMD ill never buy a CPU or a GPU from them ever again....PLEASE DON'T...i can't roll with Nvidia, Id rather Buy a crapple then a Dell product.

G

Just imagine.... Dell Radeon 7000-series, maybe a Dell Phenom X4.

millerm84

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
It would make more sense for Dell to purchase a motherboard, memory, or hard drive manufacturer as these industries can simply mass produce. Whereas AMD is as much R&D as it is manufacturing, further more Dell appears to have as many Intel chips in their line up as they do MS OSs and changing that for the cost of CPU/GPU advertising and R&D seems a bit steep.

Status
Not open for further replies.