Rumor: Foxconn Testing Larger iPad for Release Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

game junky

Distinguished
This move makes sense (especially changing the title of their current flagship to the ipad "air") - should be interesting to see the specs and the design. It wasn't super surprising they removed the biometric scanner from their most recent launch, I would be very surprised if they decrease the DPI on the display just to accomodate a larger form factor. They had a rumor awhile back that the group that designed the Mac Air were going to work on an ipad form factor - wondering if would be similar to the Surface Pro: full desktop operating system w/ attachable keyboard. Not sure if there is a market out there for an Apple Tablet running OSX, but it's intriguing. Oh well, this probably isn't on my shopping list for next year regardless of the price point.

godfather666

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
I really hate to say this, but... this could be the beginning of the end of PCs as we know them.

I think with this move Apple will be squeezing the PC market from all angles. I think this is a move to start replacing the MAC with ARM-based chips.

The ARM=based chips will be cheaper, have more features, and much more power efficient. It'll be hard to compete. Andoid and iOS take over Wintel and MAC.

I hope I'm wrong (I'm a desktop/PC kind of guy), but this may well turn out to be true.

Prescott_666

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
My wife has an iPad, which she carries with her when she has an appointment that requires sitting in a waiting room. It's a good size for that use, but it's a little large for carrying. She also uses it on the couch for games and reading news on the internet, although it's too small and she usually ends up using her 15" laptop. A 7 inch mini for carrying, and a 13 to 15 inch iPad for the couch would be perfect.

Also I really look forward to 64-bit ARM laptops and desktops. Linux is still not quite there, but Linux Mint is close. I really want Linus Mint Debian Edition with Cinnamon to get some of the rough edges smoothed off.

My Lenovo T61 laptop has a COA for Windows XP, and I don't want to deal with XP anymore, and I dont't want to buy a Windows 7 license for a computer that which after Windows 7 is installed will be worth less than Windows 7 costs, so I have Linux Mint with Cinamon on that, and it does everything I want to do with my laptop.

scannall

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
Random speculation.

iPadPro

13" Retina

Low power custom Haswell.

Runs iOS as a tablet.

Plug it into your Thunderbolt display/dock and it loads OS X, replacing your desktop.

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
All Apple is trying to do is find out how large they can make their iPads and not require a 2nd soul of a Foxconn worker in order to run correctly.

NinjaNerd56

Honorable
Apr 6, 2013
IPad Pro...not a bad idea if done well. I'd bet there will be a Smart Cover/Case with a keyboard...at $99 or so. I don't know if I could dump my boat anchor Wintel laptop, but if the rumored beast does appear, I'll check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.