News Rumor: Intel Retries Wacky Packaging With Rocket Lake Core i9-11900K

Destined to fail like the last two?
I don't think the prior packaging actually "failed". In each case, Intel simply dropped the premium packaging around the time each processor's successor was released. They were no longer positioned at the top of the product stack, and were seeing price reductions at retail, so it didn't make much sense to keep shipping them in a special box.

Orders for the 9900K in its dodecahedron packaging were discontinued at the end of June 2020, but its successor, the 10900K, had already launched a month prior. By that point, the 9900K was only comparable to the 10700K, a processor with an MSRP over $100 lower.

And recently we heard that the 10900K's premium packaging is set to be discontinued at the end of this month, but that's because Rocket Lake processors should be coming next month. Again, the processor will no longer be the best they offer for their mainstream platforms, so it doesn't really make sense to keep shipping it in enthusiast packaging.

Likewise, I would expect the exact same thing to happen with the 11900K. As soon as the 12th-gen Core processors start coming out, they will likely drop the fancy box in favor of more traditional packaging.

Reactions: JayNor and rtoaht

rtoaht

Reputable
Jun 5, 2020
I don't think the prior packaging actually "failed". In each case, Intel simply dropped the premium packaging around the time each processor's successor was released. They were no longer positioned at the top of the product stack, and were seeing price reductions at retail, so it didn't make much sense to keep shipping them in a special box.

Orders for the 9900K in its dodecahedron packaging were discontinued at the end of June 2020, but its successor, the 10900K, had already launched a month prior. By that point, the 9900K was only comparable to the 10700K, a processor with an MSRP over $100 lower.

And recently we heard that the 10900K's premium packaging is set to be discontinued at the end of this month, but that's because Rocket Lake processors should be coming next month. Again, the processor will no longer be the best they offer for their mainstream platforms, so it doesn't really make sense to keep shipping it in enthusiast packaging.

Likewise, I would expect the exact same thing to happen with the 11900K. As soon as the 12th-gen Core processors start coming out, they will likely drop the fancy box in favor of more traditional packaging.

Exactly! Well said.
People these days are trying to sound cool by bashing Intel and publishing clickbait.

Reactions: JayNor

cyrusfox

Distinguished
I like the unique packaging.
Sadly I have missed it on both as I got the 9900KF and traded that out for a 10850k, both are rather lame small paper packaged products.

Special packaging only reserved for the very top sku, which I also likely won't be able to find or justify paying the premium for.

Feb 21, 2021
Rocketlake or wait for adler lake with ddr 5 and pcie 5? Hearing september release for adler alek wile rocketlake will come out in march most likely. I fear a delay. but willing to wait for the better one. I just want a new pc by the end of the year.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Rocketlake or wait for adler lake with ddr 5 and pcie 5? Hearing september release for adler alek wile rocketlake will come out in march most likely. I fear a delay. but willing to wait for the better one. I just want a new pc by the end of the year.
Intel may announce it in September to get a jump on AMD announcing Zen4, but there is no chance they're going on sale then. Even if by some miracle, Intel does start selling them this year, no normal person is going to see these until next year. The days of buying new releases on launch day are over. DDR5 is also likely to be in low supply and hideously expensive. If you're looking to upgrade your system now, don't wait for Alder Lake.

Conahl

Commendable
Apr 24, 2020
pfft, complete waste of paper, unless these are slightly bigger then the cpu itself. its like the PC game boxes from ages ago, they were 10"x8 1/4" x2" and all they had inside was the cd in a jewel case, and possibly a manual before they went to the smaller5 1/4"x7.5"x1.5" boxes.