Rumor: iPhone 5S to Have 12-megapixel Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

grantwar

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
Good luck with Apple trying to compete with Nokia's Pureview... 12MP isn't going to get them very far (808 pureview is 41MP and "EOS" is bound to better that), not to mention the lack of image stabilization or rubbish low light photos!

tlg

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
Nice to see Apple decided to get a normal high-end camera for their high-end phone. My phone has a 12MP camera and its from 2009 though... Apple is a bit late lol

superman21

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2009
I'd rather see them improve the camera's quality (and that goes for other smartphone makers as well) rather than simply continuing to increase the number of pixels on such a tiny sensor. More megapixels does not equal better quality photos.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Of course this depends on who is making the camera, but I would generalize and say that megapixel count is largely irrelevant with mobile phones. Just from my own experience with my LG Optimus G, it has a 13 megapixel camera. And whether I select the saved image quality to be 5mp or 13mp, I can't see a lick of quality difference when I view photos on a large screen. Sure, this also has to do with how good the compression being used is.

Optics are king. Maybe Apple is at a point where the MP count is actually limiting their photos...but I am skeptical...

Regardless, it's the trend to pack more pixels in everywhere. Whether you need them, or use them, or not.

Augray37

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
Having different colors of a phone of this caliber will be a nightmare for phone salesmen like me. phones like these are typically in short supply when they first come out, at least with the company i work for, and if we don't have the color the customer wants, more often than not they run off to the nearest competitor to see if they have it. i've never understood that, once you put a case on it (you're either crazy or crazy rich if you don't), no one can really tell what color it is anyway! here ends my rant...

G

8MP is more than enough unless you want to go into lossless zoom areas where you cant get optical zoom, in which case you need a 41mp camera, the 5S will still have nothing on the 920, HTC One or Pureview 808

Kamab

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
At some point SNR defeats the purpose of having more pixels. Eventually you need to get more out of your optical assembly, which is rather limited due to its small size (on smartphones)

HTC One only has 4MP, and takes better photos than any of these super high MP cameras. Finally a company has realized that it's not how many MP that matters, but how good the photos are. A sensitive low resolution camera is simply better than lots of resolution and low sensitivity.

G

As long as people think megapixels mean anything for quality of photos, things like this will continue to sell. Suckers.

prakalejas

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2005
And let me guess - they will introduce "drama shot" or "dual camera" as "revolutionary" improvement and brag about that on their presentation, while auditorium will yawn and watch getaway pursuit :)

More Megapixels != Better pictures

Image sensor size gives you much better colors, contrast, low light sensitivity all of which are what make up a good picture. Having more resolution means nothing if all of these other areas suck. So the next time you're looking at your cell phone photos with 12MP, you'll see what i mean.

Apple has taken the stance of not sacrificing said elements in favor of more marketable megapixels. I'd much rather have a 5MP camera with large image sensor pixels over a 12mp camera with small denser pixels which are less capable of absorbing light. The pictures look way better.

I hope apple isn't going in the wrong direction with this 12MP camera.

laststop311

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
In low light situations is the sensor chip size is the same more smaller pixels gives a lower quality picture than fewer smaller pixels. At these double digit MP's on camera sensors they reduce each pixel to 1.1 micrometers each. If you are shooting in low light which is, for most people, the majority of their photos you will get a higher quality pictures using an 8MP camera with 1.4 micrometer pixels vs the higher number but smaller 1.1 micrometer pixels due to the larger pixels being able to soak up more light.

Status
Not open for further replies.