Rumor: New Macs to Be Announced at WWDC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]DroKing[/nom]Intel HD4000? Lol for the WIN![/citation]

Just in case you did not already know this but the MacBook Pro has 2 separate graphics processors that it switches between for power efficiency. The Intel is the low power graphics and uses shared Mem. When an application demands the MBP automatically switches to the ATI or Nvidia processor. The Intel is built in and the ATI or Nvidia uses the PCIe bus.

If you want to run the faster processor 100% of the time all you have to do is disable automatic graphics switching in the energy saving section of the System Preferences.

Secondly, before people start talking about the spec that is mentioned in this article being outdated or obsolete. Macbook Pro's processors, displays, graphics, disk, and memory are all configurable. The spec above is probably the minimum spec available. You can get the I7, SSD, Higher end graphics, and everything else just as you could with most laptops out there.

fantasticles

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]The spec above is probably the minimum spec available. You can get the I7, SSD, Higher end graphics, and everything else just as you could with most laptops out there.[/citation]

Sure, just costs you an arm, a leg, and a liver.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Fantasticles[/nom]Sure, just costs you an arm, a leg, and a liver.[/citation]

Not sure about that entirely. If you look at the laptop in it's entirety and compare it to others you will probably find that although there is a premium, that it is not nearly as steep as people make it out to be. Things like the switching between graphics processors for power efficiency gains, IPS displays and other stuff that does not show up in the spec sheet make a difference.

I realize that most here prefer Windows based machines and there are some seriously nice ones out there especially from ASUS but the MBP is a solid machine and are very reliable. There is allot going on in the engineering of these things.

brizzelsprout

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]Not sure about that entirely. If you look at the laptop in it's entirety and compare it to others you will probably find that although there is a premium, that it is not nearly as steep as people make it out to be. Things like the switching between graphics processors for power efficiency gains, IPS displays and other stuff that does not show up in the spec sheet make a difference. I realize that most here prefer Windows based machines and there are some seriously nice ones out there especially from ASUS but the MBP is a solid machine and are very reliable. There is allot going on in the engineering of these things.[/citation]

Yay for someone with an actual informed opinion and not just blind fanboyness!

Well said sir!

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
I won't pay an arm a leg and a liver for something that will just sit there collecting dust.... oh, yea, I guess we would use the thing to "surf" the internet once in a while....

This is what happened to macs that I have bought before... and, unless they open up the OS a bit(LOL!) it will continue to happen...
No thanks.. I don't want an expensive electronic "art conversation piece" in my house....

But it's Magical!
I'm cereal!

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
I applaud ap3x's comments for going beyond the usual "Mac's suck" comments that are always found in Apple articles on this site. Still though, there is quite a price premium with Macs. For most people, the few hundred dollars that separate Macs from PCs is not a small chunk of change. And remember that once you buy a Mac you still have to pay for a proper OS (not OSX or Windows 8 basically) unless you're going to have your relatively powerful Apple hardware just do web browsing all day.

AidanJC

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]dun dun duuuuunLet's hope they finally remove the optical drive from the MacBook Pro line. Nobody uses that anymore.[/citation] I use mine heaps, It would be a huge pain to lug around an external DVD drive too..

[citation][nom]11796pcs[/nom]I applaud ap3x's comments for going beyond the usual "Mac's suck" comments that are always found in Apple articles on this site. Still though, there is quite a price premium with Macs. For most people, the few hundred dollars that separate Macs from PCs is not a small chunk of change. And remember that once you buy a Mac you still have to pay for a proper OS (not OSX or Windows 8 basically) unless you're going to have your relatively powerful Apple hardware just do web browsing all day.[/citation]

Windows 8 is an excellent OS. If you dislike Metro, then install Classic Shell and now you have an OS that beats Windows 7 in pretty much every practical way. You might applaud ap3x for not being biased about Macs, but then you go on to be biased about Windows 8.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]Just in case you did not already know this but the MacBook Pro has 2 separate graphics processors that it switches between for power efficiency. The Intel is the low power graphics and uses shared Mem. When an application demands the MBP automatically switches to the ATI or Nvidia processor. The Intel is built in and the ATI or Nvidia uses the PCIe bus.If you want to run the faster processor 100% of the time all you have to do is disable automatic graphics switching in the energy saving section of the System Preferences.Secondly, before people start talking about the spec that is mentioned in this article being outdated or obsolete. Macbook Pro's processors, displays, graphics, disk, and memory are all configurable. The spec above is probably the minimum spec available. You can get the I7, SSD, Higher end graphics, and everything else just as you could with most laptops out there.[/citation]
Not all macbook pros have a dedicated GPU.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]Things like the switching between graphics processors for power efficiency gains[/citation]
A lot of non Apple laptops also choose the GPU according to their needs.
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]IPS displays[/citation]
No macbook currently on sale uses a IPS displays. Every single one of them uses TN panels. The only brand that I know that sell laptops with IPS screens is lenovo.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]11796pcs[/nom]I applaud ap3x's comments for going beyond the usual "Mac's suck" comments that are always found in Apple articles on this site. Still though, there is quite a price premium with Macs. For most people, the few hundred dollars that separate Macs from PCs is not a small chunk of change. And remember that once you buy a Mac you still have to pay for a proper OS (not OSX or Windows 8 basically) unless you're going to have your relatively powerful Apple hardware just do web browsing all day.[/citation]
Why would anyone need to pay for a OS license when they buy a Mac when it already comes with Mac OS? Or are you saying it's not a proper OS?

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
The question about Macs' value comes from whether there is an appreciable benefit from the little stuff they charge a premium for. For me, Macs do mostly suck because they add a premium onto a lot of additional stuff that are not really useful. Added onto that the highly closed ecosystem even when it comes to basic hardware stuffs, I can't imagine paying for a laptop from Apple. I am currently looking to buy a new laptop in the next few months, and it will likely be an Acer.

That said, my brother would really, really like to see a new Mac Pro. As a computer animator it's actually a savings if he can buy a new Mac Pro with nice specs rather than changing over all his software licenses from Mac to Windows.

Hey, if you like Macs, you shouldn't feel a need for vindication about your choice (same as anyone who likes Win8 shouldn't worry too much about what anyone else says bad about it). But I will say that for the uses of the average Mac owner, they're paying much more for a computer than they really need to.

[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]Why would anyone need to pay for a OS license when they buy a Mac when it already comes with Mac OS? Or are you saying it's not a proper OS?[/citation]

For power users, Macs lack a huge amount of software support. Even Linux is often ahead of Macs when it comes to this, although Linux can take a little work to get some things working. The problem isn't that OSX isn't a proper OS; the problem is the lack of necessary software support. For this, Windows is almost a necessity in many situations, although Macs can be used for some professional work.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]For power users, Macs lack a huge amount of software support. Even Linux is often ahead of Macs when it comes to this, although Linux can take a little work to get some things working. The problem isn't that OSX isn't a proper OS; the problem is the lack of necessary software support. For this, Windows is almost a necessity in many situations, although Macs can be used for some professional work.[/citation]

The professional software support comes from the engineers inside the company that produces a specific software, and they wont leave you out because you went with their Mac version. In my opinion you may be mixing "software support" as in "professional drivers development from Nvidia or AMD" with the support a software company like, lets say Autodesk, gives to their paying customers.

But also a Mac Pro or a Mac Book Pro are not the ultimate professional machines, they may be very solid options on specific jobs where you don't either need the ultimate workstation. So, I think you are right if we consider the "ultimate" power user and not a power user.

One clear limitation on pro Macs happens with professional GPUs. If you want a pro GPU on a Mac, basically there is only one option (a Quadro 4000) and it only supports very specific software, so you need to be aware of this.

However I just tested Maya 2013 (the current version) with a desktop GPU inside a 2010 Mac Pro and it works very well. Actually the card is officially Certified by Autodesk with only 2 or 3 features described as "working with some limitations". That is not "huge", or the "lack of necessary support".

But, if you need the ultimate 3D workstation with a Quadro 5000-6000 the Mac is not an option.

In the end I hope Apple will release new Mac Pros next week.

[citation][nom]jecastej[/nom]The professional software support comes from the engineers inside the company that produces a specific software, and they wont leave you out because you went with their Mac version. In my opinion you may be mixing "software support" as in "professional drivers development from Nvidia or AMD" with the support a software company like, lets say Autodesk, gives to their paying customers.But also a Mac Pro or a Mac Book Pro are not the ultimate professional machines, they may be very solid options on specific jobs where you don't either need the ultimate workstation. So, I think you are right if we consider the "ultimate" power user and not a power user.One clear limitation on pro Macs happens with professional GPUs. If you want a pro GPU on a Mac, basically there is only one option (a Quadro 4000) and it only supports very specific software, so you need to be aware of this.However I just tested Maya 2013 (the current version) with a desktop GPU inside a 2010 Mac Pro and it works very well. Actually the card is officially Certified by Autodesk with only 2 or 3 features described as "working with some limitations". That is not "huge", or the "lack of necessary support".But, if you need the ultimate 3D workstation with a Quadro 5000-6000 the Mac is not an option.In the end I hope Apple will release new Mac Pros next week.[/citation]

Actually, I meant that a lot of professional software can't be used on a Mac. Macs have some, but not nearly as much as Windows.

machvelocy

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
[citation][nom]shin0bi272[/nom]let the apple decline begin[/citation]
Nooooo... If that'll happen, stevie will reach even greater greatness

[citation][nom]john_4[/nom]I have been using computers and all sorts of OSs since Sinclair and DOS days and I must say, I love my Macbook Pro. OS X paired with the fine hardware is the best.[/citation]

Best? Well, I'll have to disagree. My Windows server 2008r2 x64 laptop is noticeably faster than my Macbook that has a higher performance CPU, faster and more RAM, and better graphics. The better software compatibility of Windows also leaves me with being able to do more on my Windows laptop, especially with how Windows has so much more freeware. I even got the Windows for free (legally) strait from microsoft.com by simply downloading the eval copy.

Don't get me wrong, OSX is good, but (as subjective as this is), best seems to be overstating it.

halcyon

Splendid
I love my Macs for the simple fact that they're not only well made out of high quality materials but I can run just about any OS I choose on them easier than I can on a competing laptop (i.e., its easier for me to run OS X, Windows, and Linux on a Mac than it would be on another machine). There may be somewhat of a price premium but its worth it to me for a high-quality, easily supported, easily accesorized* (MacBook Pro), machine.

*What other machine allows you to easily find chassis covers, keyboard covers, etc. for those of us that like to keep their equipment in the cleanest, newest condition possible? Macs...not necessarily the best, but not bad either.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009

I am sorry, I do not understand why you guys are saying that all you can do is browse the internet. Doesn't that depend on how you normally use the PC. What are you doing on your PC besides browsing the web that you can not do on your MAC? Would that be Gaming? If that is the only thing you are talking about then it would not matter weather you are using a PC or a Mac.... you are under using your computer.

I use my MBP for everything I use my PC for with the exception of gaming and even that is blurry since Diablo 3 is taking up most of my time. I am in a hotel right now and just finished playing Diablo 3 on my MBP.

I use my MBP for work, play and personal projects all the time. Sure I prefer to play games on my Windows box but Diablo 3 and Starcraft play great on the MBP when I am on the road. I am sorry, but I keep seeing people post the "internet browsing" thing without any specifics on why they feel that way. Does not make allot of sense.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]A lot of non Apple laptops also choose the GPU according to their needs.No macbook currently on sale uses a IPS displays. Every single one of them uses TN panels. The only brand that I know that sell laptops with IPS screens is lenovo.[/citation]

All 15.4 and larger MBP do use the dual graphics. The 13 inchers don't, which does not bother me that much since they are more about portability than power.

You are correct however. I mispoke about the IPS panel. They are currently using TN panels even though they are still managing to make them look like they are showing more colors. Maybe they are tweaking the hardware and the software to do this. Not sure.

halcyon

Splendid
I'm sitting in a coffee shop this morning using my 15" MBP. I love this machine. Its fast, has good battery life, a great 1680x1050 non-glare screen, an SSD and a HDD, and 16GB of RAM. There's very little I can do on my Mac Pro that I can't do on my MacBook Pro. I routinely use a VMs to connect to work and they run exceedingly well. ...its just another laptop. I know this machine would not be great for gaming but it could game if I needed it to.

However, Windows 7 is so good that it negates any benefit that OS X had, really. You can get a nice metal-chassised Wintel machine that performs as good and has good enough build-quality for most. For most people the fact that you can so easily find 3rd party accessories for MacBook Pros is not an issue but obviously enough people like that capability that its created an entire market.

Status
Not open for further replies.