Rumor: Nokia EOS PureView to Have 41 MP Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

oj88

Honorable
May 23, 2012
I would buy one if the quality is good and price is right. For many unexpected events, such as UFO sighting, grabbing a cellphone camera from my pocket is quicker than having a regular DSLR camera ready.

NokiaWP

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013
It's a small lens with a small bulge. It's been confirmed that the processor will be dual core like the ones on the 92x models. 41 MP sensor uses oversampling to give a rich photo. Not sure why you hint that this innovation is an unnecessary feature.

Lucid Moments

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2008
For some people it might be nice. Myself I would rather my phone not have a camera at all and use the space for other purposes. I'm unusual that way I expect though.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
For F**ks sake, this is a tech website. I hate when people just write so trivially about such a sophisticated device. Please dive deeper into why using such sensor is PROVEN to be effective. Please get into the concept of SIGNAL PROCESSING and this sensor's S/N in low light. Also please dig out proper reviews done by proper camera website as reference.

This is not just another camera phone ffs.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Interesting but no silver bullet. I have been looking for a phone that has a capable camera on it. I have two DSLR's an older Canon 40D, still one of my favorites and a newer 5DMKII. I don't always have or want to carry these beasts around and a nice good quality portable camera would be nice built into something I already carry around would be nice. I recently bought the HTC One hoping the larger sensor on it, even though lower resolution would be nice enough but while ok in low light the quality is still cell phone. One of these years, I'll have my wish.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
"So, do you think that a phone (or just this phone) could ever be used as a professional camera, or should companies stop trying to add unnecessary features to phones and instead focus on improving the actual quality of them?"

That's an awfully specific "or" clause. At least we know where you stand on the issue :)

A few things to note:
This first gen device will likely be a duel core, not quad. Quad core CPUs will not be supported by WP8 until GDR3 is released this fall/winter, so unless this is just a product announcement for a phone coming out later in the year, then it cannot be a quad core device.

"Indeed please explain, because I see something that doesn't function at all at low light."
It does just fine in low light. It uses a huge sensor and supersampeling to compensate for low light situations, but where most cameras loose quality with the supersampeling this can still pump out a full 8MP image. Check out the Pureview 808 for an idea of what it can do. This will have had 2 more years to mature the tech, so I am pretty sure it will be pretty sweet.

It is still not going to replace a DSLR or anything, but it is going to put camera phones and little point and shoot devices to shame, and hopefully give the WP platform some better legs to stand on.

tolchok

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013
I have been putting off upgrading from my iPhone 4 to a Samsung Galaxy s4 or iPhone 5 on the hopes there would be a new Nokia phone which has the same (or better) camera than the Pureview 808 (which on most online comparisons absolutely poops over contemporary and more recent competition, especially in low-light), but with future proof OS. Now here is to hoping that it will be released in Australia (the 808 wasn't), and that I can get it before my next holiday in January.

Caffeinecarl

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
I looked at some image samples from the Nokia Pureview 808 and despite the fact that the images out of the phone are indeed composed of 41 million pixels, the actual useful number is significantly less. Darker areas, even in well-lit scenes, were harsh and noisy. When lower resolution images at higher ISO's look better and cleaner than higher resolution images at lower ISO's, the only conclusion to draw is that the extra pixels haven't earned their keep.

JPNpower

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013

EXACTLY MY POINT! You should check out HTC ONE's camera. only 4MP but staggering low light. link is here for a good comparison. http://www.geek.com/apple/low-light-shooting-shootout-galaxy-s4-vs-htc-one-vs-iphone-5-vs-lumia-928-1557598/4/

ATIWOLF

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2007
"So, do you think that a phone (or just this phone) could ever be used as a professional camera"

Someone of the "highest quality" photographs ever taken have been professionally recorded on things as simple a sheet of sensitized metal well over a century ago.

Too many people seem to cling to silly standards about what tools art professionals should and should not use to do their work. Its clear -at least to me- that a competent photographer can shoot desirable images with a variety of devices, including those made with bits of junk lying around their home (e.g. pinhole) or basic point and shoot cameras. If a phone happens to fulfill a photographer's needs, then that's that. This Nokia would be one tool out of many a photographer could use. Does it matter that a photograph you like and are willing to pay for was made with an old, repurposed sardine tin or a phone? *shakes head*

Status
Not open for further replies.