Rumor Roundup: Everything We've Heard on Desktop Haswell So Far, June 3, Box Art Included

Status
Not open for further replies.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
All this hubub for 5-10% performance improvement... Oh, memories of days yonder when AMD cracked the whip and intel jumped...
I say this and I'm still interested, lulz

G

This will be my next upgrade from my 2600k. But seriously who gives a rip about its integrated graphics. No one in their right mind cares about it either when buying these types of CPUs. When paired with a top of the line 2 dedicated GPUs (GTX 680s) in my case, you can't beat the performance. Best of the best. I'm hoping for a nice 20-30% boost over my current CPU. Or better.

G

Starting to leak out slowly. Prob will be next month before any hit retail at earliest.

Hmm, for all current sandybridge "k" users, it looks like we're only looking at a ~20% increase at stock clocks (btw, do notice these chips are clocked higher at stock!) Eitherway I currently have my chip overclocked so I guess performance will largely how overclockable haswell is. remember how Ivybridge's bad thermals basically meant ZERO performance increase from an overclocked sandy part? T_T

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
So, Intel finally decided to stop including those crappy CPU coolers and either switch it for an upgrade or just leave it out completely and reduce the price by $20?

I still don't understand how Intel thinks that having an increased core clock... that is only tied to the CPU... is going to make overclocking any 'easier.'
Surely people who are actually going to overclock know better than to see that as anything but market hype, yes?

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008

Perhaps you (and most gamers) don't care about IGP, but plenty of productivity-driven professionals whose primary concern is compute performance, not graphics performance, may indeed care. If the IGP is good enough, such individuals would have no need to add a discrete card of any kind to their machines to get their work done.

I don't feel Haswell's mild increase in performance truly warrants an upgrade for most Sandy Bridge owners, let alone Ivy Bridge owners.

edwd2

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
At least, the processors are 5-7 dollars cheaper their respective ivy bridge counterparts on average, that aside, am i the only who thinks the box artwork is pretty bad?

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
I think it isnt that impressive to previous "K"CPU owner. but the unlock BLCK from Haswell + high multi will mean pretty much all other non-K CPU will be highly overclock-able.

This is pretty deadly if it is apply on the super budget dual CPU like i3 + pentium class Especially for people who are looking to upgrade from core 2 duo system and are looking for high IPC CPU without breaking the bank.

May be a 4GHz+ cheap $30-100 pentium / i3 can finally end the overpriced core 2 quads Q95xx/Q9650 which cost $100 on a used unit.

This is Intel we're talking about. I would be very, very surprised if they went back to selling processors that could overclock without paying the premium for a 'k' series chip... especially since they are still selling 'k' series.

There's no way they're selling a 'k' series chip while still letting the others overclock.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

I kinda agree with you. Historically, having an adjustable CPU frequency meant that you could overclock without the need of a special multiplier-unlocked CPU--with any old CPU. But since they're still only allowing adjustment with an unlocked CPU, I'm not getting much of the significance.

marshal11

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
@DarkSable I personally think that separating the BSCLK from the rest of the system is a good thing. When I tune the BSCLK I don't want my RAM to be screwed with. If I wanted my RAM to run at higher frequencies I'd like to OC it separately, and vice versa.

That's all fine and dandy, but this doesn't matter at all. It's completely separated from anything but the core, so it's not actually gaining you anything.... which means there will be zero difference between overclocking with the multiplier and overclocking with the core clock.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
It looks like a CPU box.
NO. SERIOUSLY???...?...!

Yeah i know we should stop buying AMD processors all together, considering their 10-15% improvement in 5 years...

Status
Not open for further replies.