Rumor: Windows 8 Launching August 2012; Win 9 in 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

windows 9?
jeez, lets focus on supporting 8 for a few months first eh?

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
It is just a roadmap, but I am a little surprised to see windows phone 8.hopefully the win phones can upgrade to it. Looks good though. Lots of stuff going to devs.

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
Who freaking cares, new versions of Winblows do nothing for the gaming community. We are still stuck on XP DX9 because of the kiddie consoles. Win7 DX 11 will be on the 720 and then we will be stuck with that for another decade.

phatbuddha79

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009
Win XP to Win7 was worth it, but this is just trying to cash in on people's money. I wish they only release a new OS when there's new major features.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
[citation][nom]reggieray[/nom]Who freaking cares, new versions of Winblows do nothing for the gaming community. We are still stuck on XP DX9 because of the kiddie consoles. Win7 DX 11 will be on the 720 and then we will be stuck with that for another decade.[/citation]
Actually quite a few good games are released with DX11 and are pretty graphically intense. Battlefield Bad Company 2, DiRT2, DiRT3, Total War: Shogun 2, Civilization V, Crysis 2, Metro 2033, WoW: Cataclysm, Homefront, and F1 2010 and 2011 to name a few.

Oh and did I forget to mention that Battlefield 3 only supports DX10, 10.1 and 11.

Think before you speak and make yourself look like a moron.

Who freaking cares, new versions of Winblows do nothing for the gaming community. We are still stuck on XP DX9 because of the kiddie consoles. Win7 DX 11 will be on the 720 and then we will be stuck with that for another decade.

*Points out that two out of three consoles don't have a DX SDk, and even on the 360, coding directly to the hardware is more common then the DX SDK due to speed reasons*

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
I've tested win 8 and found it seriously lacking in several aspects:
1- The unbelievably ugly and un-ergonomic design of the Metro UI; most people will want to get rid of it quickly; not only for it's design but also because it's made simple jobs like clicking an icon on a desktop easier, but the normal OS operations difficult, to nearly impossible!
Say for instance, you want to change your power scheme, or update the OS manually, you will need to do several clicks before you can finally get to update it manually.
Not to even mention it took several minutes for me to find how to turn off the OS (without touching the power button).

2- It is about as fast as Windows XP, is efficient, boots a little faster, but consumes LOTS more battery! It also has tons of annoying background activity! The stuff you DON'T WANT because it's reducing performance!

3- Currently it does not have display drivers of the most simple Intel GMA chipsets found in laptops with integrated graphics cards! I had to download a Windows 7 driver, and run it in compatibility mode, and even then it has some quirks and blits and jitters here and there!

4- Being idle it uses 3-8% of CPU constantly, with a browser and a notepad opened it uses 1.16GB of RAM constantly

5- Disabling the shitty metro UI disables a lot of vital functions of the OS, including finding wireless signals!

6- If you hated the Windows Vista's start bar, and hated 7's start bar, you will hate 8's start bar even more, because it doesn't have any! It takes you to disable metro UI to get a shitty start bar, that's not very useful!
Everything is based on the computer finding files for you, but nearly 90% of the time I don't want the computer to search anything; I want to be the one browsing through the directory structure of the start bar that I KNOW where my program is!
There are times you don't know if a program has been uninstalled, or still resides on your HD, and you don't want WIndows to waste several minutes of your time searching for something it can't find anyway!
In these cases Win 8 is a total fiasco, a disaster, a flop!!!

Although it's in a beta phase, I believe unless MS focusses on reducing automatic 'unintelligent' background activity, and focusses on reducing Win8's footprint by at least 50%, windows 8 will be a big FAIL!

Nothing more than an overglorified Windows 7!

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
If they're going to release a new Windows version every two years and expect people to upgrade each time, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a lower retail price.
Windows 7 is still $200 for the retail version of Home Premium (I know, $99 for OEM). If W8 and W9 are the same cost, your talking about a $100 per year OS "tax" if you're an early adopter.

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
[citation][nom]11796pcs[/nom]Actually quite a few good games are released with DX11 and are pretty graphically intense. Battlefield Bad Company 2, DiRT2, DiRT3, Total War: Shogun 2, Civilization V, Crysis 2, Metro 2033, WoW: Cataclysm, Homefront, and F1 2010 and 2011 to name a few.Oh and did I forget to mention that Battlefield 3 only supports DX10, 10.1 and 11.Think before you speak and make yourself look like a moron.[/citation]
Oh you must mean adding DX11 to a PC game as an afterthought, dunkoff.

tofu2go

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
I am actually rather happy with this release schedule. I'm still on Windows XP and have been thinking about moving up to Windows 7 for the DX11 (building a new system along with it). As Windows 8 doesn't really offer much beyond UI changes, this means I can be on Win 7 for 3-4 years before upgrading my OS. 4 years is roughly the lifespan of a computer build, so when Win 9 rolls out it will coincide with a new hardware upgrade.

GoldenI

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
I am getting tired of this. What a bunch of greedy pigs. Two years, a new OS is released? Why don't they take time to make a quality, innovative OS instead of re-hashes with minor upgrades?

Windows XP came out in 2001, then Windows Vista came out in 2007. It was completely different for the most part. WHY can't it be like it used to be, like six years in between OSes? This is getting ridiculous.

AbdullahG

Distinguished
[citation][nom]ProDigit10[/nom]I've tested win 8 and found it seriously lacking in several aspects:1- The unbelievably ugly and un-ergonomic design of the Metro UI; most people will want to get rid of it quickly; not only for it's design but also because it's made simple jobs like clicking an icon on a desktop easier, but the normal OS operations difficult, to nearly impossible!Say for instance, you want to change your power scheme, or update the OS manually, you will need to do several clicks before you can finally get to update it manually.Not to even mention it took several minutes for me to find how to turn off the OS (without touching the power button).2- It is about as fast as Windows XP, is efficient, boots a little faster, but consumes LOTS more battery! It also has tons of annoying background activity! The stuff you DON'T WANT because it's reducing performance!3- Currently it does not have display drivers of the most simple Intel GMA chipsets found in laptops with integrated graphics cards! I had to download a Windows 7 driver, and run it in compatibility mode, and even then it has some quirks and blits and jitters here and there!4- Being idle it uses 3-8% of CPU constantly, with a browser and a notepad opened it uses 1.16GB of RAM constantly5- Disabling the shitty metro UI disables a lot of vital functions of the OS, including finding wireless signals!6- If you hated the Windows Vista's start bar, and hated 7's start bar, you will hate 8's start bar even more, because it doesn't have any! It takes you to disable metro UI to get a shitty start bar, that's not very useful!Everything is based on the computer finding files for you, but nearly 90% of the time I don't want the computer to search anything; I want to be the one browsing through the directory structure of the start bar that I KNOW where my program is!There are times you don't know if a program has been uninstalled, or still resides on your HD, and you don't want WIndows to waste several minutes of your time searching for something it can't find anyway!In these cases Win 8 is a total fiasco, a disaster, a flop!!!Although it's in a beta phase, I believe unless MS focusses on reducing automatic 'unintelligent' background activity, and focusses on reducing Win8's footprint by at least 50%, windows 8 will be a big FAIL!Nothing more than an overglorified Windows 7![/citation]
Remember, that's the developers build. Changes will be done, so it's not smart to judge yet.

[citation][nom]ProDigit10[/nom]I've tested win 8 and found it seriously lacking in several aspects:1- The unbelievably ugly and un-ergonomic design of the Metro UI; most people will want to get rid of it quickly; not only for it's design but also because it's made simple jobs like clicking an icon on a desktop easier, but the normal OS operations difficult, to nearly impossible!Say for instance, you want to change your power scheme, or update the OS manually, you will need to do several clicks before you can finally get to update it manually.Not to even mention it took several minutes for me to find how to turn off the OS (without touching the power button).2- It is about as fast as Windows XP, is efficient, boots a little faster, but consumes LOTS more battery! It also has tons of annoying background activity! The stuff you DON'T WANT because it's reducing performance!3- Currently it does not have display drivers of the most simple Intel GMA chipsets found in laptops with integrated graphics cards! I had to download a Windows 7 driver, and run it in compatibility mode, and even then it has some quirks and blits and jitters here and there!4- Being idle it uses 3-8% of CPU constantly, with a browser and a notepad opened it uses 1.16GB of RAM constantly5- Disabling the shitty metro UI disables a lot of vital functions of the OS, including finding wireless signals!6- If you hated the Windows Vista's start bar, and hated 7's start bar, you will hate 8's start bar even more, because it doesn't have any! It takes you to disable metro UI to get a shitty start bar, that's not very useful!Everything is based on the computer finding files for you, but nearly 90% of the time I don't want the computer to search anything; I want to be the one browsing through the directory structure of the start bar that I KNOW where my program is!There are times you don't know if a program has been uninstalled, or still resides on your HD, and you don't want WIndows to waste several minutes of your time searching for something it can't find anyway!In these cases Win 8 is a total fiasco, a disaster, a flop!!!Although it's in a beta phase, I believe unless MS focusses on reducing automatic 'unintelligent' background activity, and focusses on reducing Win8's footprint by at least 50%, windows 8 will be a big FAIL!Nothing more than an overglorified Windows 7![/citation]

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Status
Not open for further replies.