Rumor: Windows RT, Windows Phone to Eventually Merge

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
The WinRT and WinP merger makes sense, if only to reduce engineering redundancy. However, the Win9 and Win10 rumors, if true, indicates that there are more Ballmer cronies in management that need to be terminated.

Aoyagi

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
WP needs to either die or be completely redone to be less of an iOS ...inspired operating system to put it lightly. Less "app"-centrism, more capabilities of the OS itself.

FrankInKY

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
Microsoft is determined that I will never buy another of their OSs again. I feel kind of hurt, wasn't the thousands of bucks I spent on their software enough?...or was it too much...yeah that must be it, they decided I had spent too much of my money on MS DOS, Word, OSs 3.1, 95, 98, 2K, Xp (and even one regrettable purchase of VISTA) and multiple versions of Visual Studio. So they started making OSs they know I'll never buy, to save me money!

Yeah, that must be it...

qlum

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013
I am still waiting for my games to be ported to linux so I can finally abandon the windows failboat but that seems to take quite some time still.

daekar

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
You know, I'm pretty flexible when it comes to OSes and software. I use at least 4 different operating systems a week, and three different office suites. But this "cloud based" OS bullcrap is really just too much in a world that is experiencing both a transition to ultra-mobile forms and ridiculous charges for bandwidth usage. And what happens when I need to use my computer and Verizon's crap service goes out? I'm sorry... maybe that's OK for people whose primary computer use is updating which movie you watched with your buff, but it's not OK for anybody who needs full functionality.

InvalidError

Titan

Windows RT is a cross-platform OS. It was never intended to be compatible with desktop applications compiled for x86.

More than half the devices running Windows RT lack the first requirement for being able to run x86-based applications reasonably well: a x86-based CPU since most of them use ARM.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Qlum, if games were ever going to take off on Linux it would have happened by now, supporting 3 or more versions of Windows is hard enough without the headache of supporting at least the top 100 distros of Linux, for the benefit of 0.86% of desktop users that even have Linux, some of which already happily use Windows without moaning every 2 seconds about how they are so hard done by.

hannibal

Distinguished
Nice! Win9 will introduse transparent tiles... Something that I have been expecting from the release of Win8. Semi tranparent Metro UI, best invention since the bread!

The win10 is more interesting. It can not be completely Cloud based if it can run winXP, Vista, Win7, Win8, win9 etc. programs. The prediction of somekind of MS-"Crome OS" style OS is more likely. Office and many other smaller programs goes to the Cloud (you can use same programs with your phone, tablet, desktop etc.) but there will be a client that can run programs locally. It kind of makes sense when considering how much information there are in the cloud at this moment. But I will never believe that some big company will put its company secrects to a cloud server that is hosted by another company... There will be local content allso. When considering that so many coverment is spying on internet, some critical information will newer be put in the cloud!
Grain and salt, grain and salt... but these can be true, if we just forget the posibility that win10, will be completelly cloud based! It may actually connect windows, winRT and winP platforms in the cloud level though!

FrankInKY

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
Microsoft is determined that I will never buy another of their OSs again. I feel kind of hurt, wasn't the thousands of bucks I spent on their software enough?...or was it too much...yeah that must be it, they decided I had spent too much of my money on MS DOS, Word, OSs 3.1, 95, 98, 2K, Xp (and even one regrettable purchase of VISTA) and multiple versions of Visual Studio. So they started making OSs they know I'll never buy, to save me money!

Yeah, that must be it...

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Windows Phone is definitely the best mobile platform on the market. Easy to develop for, OS itself is faster and more efficient, UI is excellent on a touch screen. Anything you develop for Windows Phone can be used on Windows RT, Windows 8, and XBox360 pretty easily.
For applications I don't see why you would not develop it from the ground up for Windows Phone/RT since it will go across all of Microsoft's product range automatically. Only problem is 3D games that I don't see moving off x86 versions of windows anytime soon.

So the rumor is Windows 9 is a refinement of Windows 8 and Windows 10 will be cloud based....sounds like Windows 7 will be my last Microsoft OS.
Windows 8 sucks, so they will polish it and have a shiny turd called Windows 9.
Windows 10? Why do companies seem to think I would want to store my files on their servers. I have as much interest in the cloud as a politician has in telling the truth.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
@back_by_demand: Industry awards mean jack if the users find it crap. I've been using a Lumia 620 since April, if it ran Android 4.x i would have loved it, currently just waiting to replace it with something Silvermont based.

Status
Not open for further replies.