Rumor: Xbox Infinity Will Have Blu-ray, DVR

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Not sure what the resolution on this thing would be, but if it was only 720p I probably wouldn't mind. Most games these days have amazing visuals but lackluster gameplay. If they can improve the latter, it would be far more important.

LordConrad

Distinguished
I prefer the high-density physical media, like Blu-ray. Plenty of storage space on a single disc, and when you're done with a game you can trade it in. Don't forget that many people still can't get, or can't afford, high speed internet. Game companies won't give up all those sales by switching to a download-only ecosystem.

G

And already outdated in my book, my current pc already blows it away and its not even out yet. i7 at 4.5 16gb ddr3, 2 x 256 ssd drives, 2 x 4gb gtx 680s in sli, 2560 x 1600 res ips display. Yeh not interested. Kiddies can have it.

StinkySnake

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
Yeah but if they packed all that in to a console solider, the cost would be through the roof. There is a reason why consoles slow down game development over all, its because they can't be updated for years at a time, and when R&D is done, the hardware they produce them with is already out of date.

At least with the Xbox 720, hopefully it will come with a CPU that can be unlocked as its needed. Don't count on SSD's they are still to expensive.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
8GB of RAM... mother of god(if it is true). At least much better than Nintendo Wii U. I still cant make any sense out of it why Nintendo decide to have 1GB RAM when 2GB RAM/4GB RAM is only $5/$15 more.

StinkySnake

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
[citation][nom]kracker[/nom]Ok niice. ...What's the price?[/citation]

Some places have it estimated at as high as $499 when it's released, other places have the as low as $299.

Dangi

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
[citation][nom]spentshells[/nom]Sony must be making a killing licensing Blueray[/citation]
That's why I would go with HD DVD, no need for a license, more capacity for each layer and also is a way better than BD if you plan to use as an anticopying device, at least in Europe there is no HD DVD writer or any HD DVD at all

[citation][nom]xpeh[/nom]I have a feeling that it might be 600+[/citation]
my bet is $600 even, and they will take a loss per console sold for the first 2 years

My other guesses?
+x86+ARM hybrid, x86 for games and such, ARM for the OS environment for low power non-game use. Quad core x86, duel core ARM.
+4GB of RAM. I am sure it could be 8GB... but as consoles use ram so much more efficiently I don't think they will 'need' the extra 4GB. Or put another way, game machines running much higher resolutions/settings/textures, and running multiple programs rarely go past 4GB of ram in use, so I think they would see 8GB of ram as a waste on a console where ram is use more effectively than on a normal PC... but then again, ram is cheap.
+1080p 30fps graphics, with hardware capable of doing at least 2x AA and AF, and with 1-2GB of GDDR. Console will be 'capable' of doing 4K, but in the same way that the current gen are 'capable' of 1080p... yes, the pixels are there, but they sacrifice a lot to do it.
+A modified WinRT for the OS, which will live in embedded 'tamper proof' flash media, and run on the ARM cores to make modding a royal pain. IE10 preinstalled, along with the win8 mail/people/messaging/skype softwares so that it can be used as the 'family PC' instead of just a console. This will be the Microsoft PC, Surface will cover the tablet/laptop space, and a phone will come out as well with the MS branding before the end of 2013.
+160GB-1TB HDD options, with capability for SSD down the line, but not at launch. Skydrive storage will be pushed as a backup feature of the console, with all games being available to be re-downloaded in the event of a console failure, or if you run out of space.
+Blue Ray drivefor media consumption only, and games will be DL only. I hope I am wrong, but MS and sony have both expressed their opinions on the subject, and it would not be a dealbreaker for 90% of current users anyways.
+Due to the shared win8 core OS, there will be a wide range of devices supported so that you can use this as your college/family desktop computer to do some work on, as well as your main game console
+Again, games will be DL only, and due to the ARM+WinRT nature of the system you will be locked into installing software via the official store only to prevent things like Steam sales events from eating any profits.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
so soldier, if a console had those specifications equivalent to your current rig it will cost well over a grand.

Silly thought, of course everybody knows consoles will always be generation(s) behind PC and albeit cursed. But seriously, if you want more games then you will need to embrace the sales of consoles at an affordable price. We'll have next to nothing of games for PC's if consoles were too dear.

Realistically that's how the gaming industry is operating now unfortunately, but at least PC gamers are still able to play those games.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]soldier2013[/nom]And already outdated in my book, my current pc already blows it away and its not even out yet. i7 at 4.5 16gb ddr3, 2 x 256 ssd drives, 2 x 4gb gtx 680s in sli, 2560 x 1600 res ips display. Yeh not interested. Kiddies can have it.[/citation]

And you think Microsoft can sell that for like $400 ? People will not spend $1500 for a console with your above specs. Microsoft subsidizes its consoles and I doubt they want to subsidize $1000 to meet your specs.

cmcghee358

Distinguished
[citation][nom]soldier2013[/nom]And already outdated in my book, my current pc already blows it away and its not even out yet. i7 at 4.5 16gb ddr3, 2 x 256 ssd drives, 2 x 4gb gtx 680s in sli, 2560 x 1600 res ips display. Yeh not interested. Kiddies can have it.[/citation]

So you spent $4000 on a PC and you're trying to find some medium in which your bragging doesn't sound like bragging. Subtle.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
So the XBOX Infinity may have a DVR? I think we sort of figured that .

I'm all for integrating the Kinect 2 with the Xbox Infinity. I can't wait to see the specs on this thing. It'll dictate my next PC build since I'm primarily a PC gamer.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]spentshells[/nom]Sony must be making a killing licensing Blueray[/citation]
Well the still have to recoup the $8billion+ they bribed studios with to drop HD-DVD (a better standard from the start).

Status
Not open for further replies.