Status
Not open for further replies.
G

ok thats all good, but where can i get one
ive been holding off on building a new computer for 4 months for this cpu

whitey_rolls

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2010
There won't be any shortages because they won't be a hot product, based on the benchmarks they really aren't much better than SB and they are hotter.

G

[citation][nom]frozonic[/nom]i havent seen the temperature charts but using the same CPU cooler i really doubt they are hotter, they have a smaller fabrication process and lower power consumption.... doesnt that mean that they are cooler?[/citation]
Check this out
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5763/undervolting-and-overclocking-on-ivy-bridge
Part of the reason they're as hot or even hotter is because the chip has been shrunk to a smaller area meaning less area to dissipate heat.

i7-3920XM Extreme Edition flagship
intel fu#ks their uneducated laptop costumer with those names, all they do is trow a higher number and the letter "X" and that makes it "Extreme" so dummys with no knowledge pay 500$ more for their laptops and all they get is "Extremely ripped" by an "Extreme" 100Mhz boost in their CPUs....
Well, this isn't true. :pfff: The extreme edition features an unlocked multiplier which allows overclocking. That's why some of the higher end laptops with much better cooling allows 4ghz laptops :) For an example, that new alienware with liquid cooling would allow a 4ghz overclock easily, not that I would ever get an alienware...I just don't like people stating/assuming and spreading wrong information!

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]sonofliberty08[/nom]Ivy sounds like an intel version of bulldozer[/citation]
That was harsh.

Ivy Bridge is a good chip family. To insinuate that it's a failure is a little pre-mature.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Although I really wanted to try and hold out for Ivy Bridge, I'm glad I pulled the trigger on Sandy Bridge, now that the reviews have been released.
I ended up getting a 2500k that runs at 5Ghz on 1.35v (CM Hyper 212+, Max temp 62c)
Hopefully it will be a while before I need to upgrade :p

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
[citation][nom]bear95[/nom]Check this outhttp://www.anandtech.com/show/5763 [...] ivy-bridgePart of the reason they're as hot or even hotter is because the chip has been shrunk to a smaller area meaning less area to dissipate heat.[/citation]

You (and the 4 people that "liked" that comment) have no idea what you're talking about.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]frozonic[/nom]Ivy bridge might not be a real "Upgrade" from sandy bridge, but it is at least 5-8% faster than current SB cpus and it a smaller litography, less power cosumption, integrated PCI E 3.0 and maybe more overclocking room, and for the same price as older SB it is a nice "update", altough i wasnt worth the wait IB is good for someone looking to build a pc from now on. anyways, its newer technology[/citation]

Actually no. Sandy Bridge is better at overclocking then Ivy Bridge is, just read Tom's review on the 3770k.

At least 5% to 8% better isn't worth 300 dollars for an upgrade, you're completely wasting your money upgrading to Ivy Bridge clock for clock if you already have a Sandy Bridge cpu.

As for PCI-E 3.0 no single graphics card yet aren't close to passing the bandwidth of PCI-E 2.0 limit, even the highend latest graphics cards in a corssfire setup can't aren't able to go past PCI-E 2.0's bandwidth limit. You would need something on the lines of a triple crossfire config with 3 highend graphics cards to be able to finally get over PCI-E 2.0's bandwidth limit and for 99% of pc gamers out there that doesn't have 6 grand or so to throw around on an exotic gaming pc system to have such specs then PCI-E 3.0 at this point is more marketing gimmick then anything that the actual gamer can't truly take advantage of.

frostyfireball

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
This whole IB being only a minor improvement overall, if graphics are ignored, is a great opportunity for AMD to get something halfway competitive with Piledriver. Hopefully it turns out properly and we get another Phenom -> PhenomII upgrade.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
ivy bridge uses less power to while offering slightly more performance, this means that most of the performance boost will happen on the mobile side, as they can do a 30- 50% performance across the board and still stay within the same TDP

ismaeljrp

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
[citation][nom]bear95[/nom]Check this outhttp://www.anandtech.com/show/5763 [...] ivy-bridgePart of the reason they're as hot or even hotter is because the chip has been shrunk to a smaller area meaning less area to dissipate heat.[/citation]

They are hotter in relation to voltage applied.
Meaning, a 1.3v IB is much hotter than a 1.3v SB.

The thing people are missing is, IB does not need as much voltage as SB to achieve the same overclock.

a 1.1v IB is 4.5ghz..... with SB you need at least 1.3v to achieve that.

Therefore all this worry about IB running hot is absolute nonsense.

What is getting some enthusiast upset, is that it has a low ceiling for overclocking.

ismaeljrp

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
[citation][nom]frostyfireball[/nom]This whole IB being only a minor improvement overall, if graphics are ignored, is a great opportunity for AMD to get something halfway competitive with Piledriver. Hopefully it turns out properly and we get another Phenom -> PhenomII upgrade.[/citation]

Yes I really hope we do see that type of improvement. Phenom II was awesomely competetive...Problem was they dragged it on for far too long instead of making a new architecture earlier. Now , they're back to playing catchup, after looking like they were already catching up when they released PH II

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]ismaeljrp[/nom]a 1.1v IB is 4.5ghz..... with SB you need at least 1.3v to achieve that.[/citation]

Silicon Lottery. Some require more, some require less. Mine runs fine @ 4.5Ghz with only 1.25v.

kuaimanganeu

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
As for PCI-E 3.0 no single graphics card yet aren't close to passing the bandwidth of PCI-E 2.0 limit, even the highend latest graphics cards in a corssfire setup can't aren't able to go past PCI-E 2.0's bandwidth limit.
g.gif

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
[citation][nom]frostyfireball[/nom]This whole IB being only a minor improvement overall, if graphics are ignored, is a great opportunity for AMD to get something halfway competitive with Piledriver. Hopefully it turns out properly and we get another Phenom -> PhenomII upgrade.[/citation]
At best piledriver will be able to compete with the generation before SB.

trumpeter1994

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
Keep in mind that Tom's compared the 2700k to the 3770k, the 2700k is a binned 2600k and so it is much more likely to handle massive overclocks. The 3770k however is not binned so they may have gotten an underperformer. nobody knows but regardless it seems a bit early to make assumptions in general, besides reviewed chips often got shipped from one reviewer to the next. I think it will be interesting what the consumers can pull out of ivy bridge.

brett1042002

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
[citation][nom]sonofliberty08[/nom]Ivy sounds like an intel version of bulldozer[/citation]

At least Ivy is a small step up in performance from SB. Bulldozer was a total step backwards from Thuban/Deneb.

Status
Not open for further replies.