Rumored Samsung Galaxy S4 Specs, Set for March 15 Debut

Status
Not open for further replies.

halcyon

Splendid
Can't help but like that render. Look forward to seeing what kind of voodoo Samsung has been whipp'n up.

Oh...Apple is gonna HATE this beast...makes me smile just thinking about it.

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
They didnt fix some of my biggest issues with the S3... charger plug on bottom and power button on side. I always accidentally hit the power/volume on my S3.

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]Sounds good but could use:-Octo-core-More RAM (2x)-Better Battery[/citation]
More cores does not help without threaded software to make actual use of them.
More RAM is a toughie since current 8Gbit chips are already stacked dies so jumping to 4GB would require twice as many RAM ICs until 8Gbit dies materialize.
Better battery is easier said than done in such constrained environments.

Personally, I would be more interested in reducing power than increasing battery size/capacity since phones and tablets tend to get uncomfortably warm around their SoC area when under prolonged load, which I personally find very annoying. If you could magically cram a 50Wh battery in a phone to feed a 10W SoC/APU, the phone would still be useless as a gaming/computing device since it would become unbearably hot when under non-trivial sustained load... unless you do not mind having to slap a HSF on your phone!

prabjot8

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]Sounds good but could use:-Octo-core-More RAM (2x)-Better Battery[/citation]
nah I think 2 gb of ram is more than enough for a phone. Its not like your going to be playing hardcore games or something.

jimmyjohnz

Honorable
May 14, 2012
If it really does get those specs, then the S4 is going to be a monster of a phone. Hopefully the price tag doesn't get any more monstrous though.

Uberragen21

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
Only problem I see is the front mounted speakers right next to the mic. Can you say feedback? Obviously it would only cause feedback when using the speaker phone, but that can be a major problem if the rendered pics above are accurate.

[citation][nom]therabiddeer[/nom]They didnt fix some of my biggest issues with the S3... charger plug on bottom and power button on side. I always accidentally hit the power/volume on my S3.[/citation]

may i ask where you would want those placed? i am ok with them, to each his own of course. But i agree that i sometimes push them accidentally.

bigger battery is nice, i don't mind a heavier phone as long as it has good battery. Being too light makes the phone feel cheap, imo.

the image looks good though, more classy than the s3, and own an s3

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]Cons29[/nom]may i ask where you would want those placed? i am ok with them, to each his own of course. But i agree that i sometimes push them accidentally.bigger battery is nice, i don't mind a heavier phone as long as it has good battery. Being too light makes the phone feel cheap, imo.the image looks good though, more classy than the s3, and own an s3[/citation]
My Droid X had the power button on the top, smaller volume buttons on the side which I managed to not push ever (harder to push in) and a charge plug on the lower left side. I loved that setup and never hit any buttons on accident. It also let me prop it up in my car for GPS with the charge plug on the side.

The power plug on the bottom is bad design because you can turn a phone left or right so having it plugged in on the side doesnt effect anything. However, you cant turn a phone upside down (at least not that I am aware)... so plug on bottom limits choices when sitting the phone down.

RabidFace

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
God I hope this render is the actual phone. All premium phones should be made out of aluminum. As much as I love my S3, and it's in a case, I wish it was metal.

I love the stereo speakers on the front as well. I just can't believe I just got my S3 4 months ago and now this is coming out. Oh well, in 20 months I get my upgrade :p

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
i am really interested in the battery life. and how easy will it be to remove the Samsung bloatware from it. whould be nice if they'd follow Sony and be a bit more forth comming with the source code this time around. all jn all the render loooks great, hopeing for a mini version with similar specs.

expressionate

Honorable
Jan 19, 2013
Yes, the power button need too be placed somewhere else.
I keep pressing the volume buttons whilst putting the phone to sleep mode.
At the top right make sense.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
[citation][nom]RabidFace[/nom]God I hope this render is the actual phone. All premium phones should be made out of aluminum. As much as I love my S3, and it's in a case, I wish it was metal. I love the stereo speakers on the front as well. I just can't believe I just got my S3 4 months ago and now this is coming out. Oh well, in 20 months I get my upgrade[/citation]
There really is no advantages of a metal casing. It adds weight and doesn't protect the phone since plastic absorbs shock much better then metal. I wish Samsung went with their brushed aluminium plastic casing they have on their SSD devices. It feels good, is lightweight, and also looks gorgeous.

Also, is the Exynos 5450 their big.little octo core processor? Or is it the overclocked quad core 5250 processor? I personally want it to just be a higher clocked quad core processor. 2.0ghz amazing :D

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]iKyunG[/nom]There really is no advantages of a metal casing. It adds weight and doesn't protect the phone since plastic absorbs shock much better then metal. I wish Samsung went with their brushed aluminium plastic casing they have on their SSD devices.[/citation]

Why go with the brushed-aluminium looking plastic if metal has not advantage? Why try to make it look like metal? Are you implying that some like the look of metal so they should just continue to fake it...or is it an interesting attempt to have the best of both worlds?

I'm not gonna lie, I wish they used aircraft-grade aluminium. I like the feel of metal, besides that it costs more and lends itself to a more premium feel. I prefer metal over plastic in my cars, computers, audio gear, watches, keys, on and on...I just like metal.
Silly me.

...but Samsung is not gonna use metal. Plastic is cheaper and, therefore, they prefer it and only use metal when they absolutely need to. Strangely, they did use metal on the stand of my $3,500 TV when lower-priced models use plastic...weird. Anywho, those that drop their phones often prefer plastic as it absorbs impacts more readily (I keep my phones in a case typically and I don't drop them (or plan to) so I don't really identify with the I-want-plastic-cause-I'm-gonna-drop-my-phone-but-I-don't-want-to-use-a-case lot).

Yes, all that prefer plastic will, again, be handsomely rewarded I'm sure. To me, metal is a more premium material (I'd much prefer to wear metal jewelry than plastic...but that may be just me) ...and, therefore, is applicable to higher-end products, but yes, it costs a little more.

Again, silly me. ...and apologies to all for my coffee-induced rant (as I look at my Note II and all its plastic with much affection).

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
Metal may fell more premium but most people put their phone in a case.
I have a flip cover to protect my Note 2 screen. I see many iphone cases that have a hole in them so one can see the logo. I think that is quite funny.

I will be getting this phone for the wife by summer when her S2 is up for replacement. I wonder if I can use the S2 without it being active. It would make an excellent media player, camera, and toy for my six year old.

It would be a shame to recycle a phone as good as the S2. People pay $300 for an ipod and the S2 is bigger and has a better screen.

This is only a render, remember folks how the renders of SGS3 looked like, vs. the actual phone?
If the internal specs stand, however, I will get one of these. My SGS2 got a new lease on life with JB, but even so, it started showing it's age.

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
[citation][nom]Thunderfox[/nom]An Exynos with LTE, finally? So the US can get the same phone as the rest of the world?[/citation]
I think that the S3 and note 2 are Exynos 4 series. In Canada anyways.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
[citation][nom]keither5150[/nom]I think that the S3 and note 2 are Exynos 4 series. In Canada anyways.[/citation]
Not sure about canada, but in the US the S3 is a Krait chip. Samsung used a Snapdragon because they support LTE, which is more available in the US than elsewhere.

G

@ halcyon

There's quite a bit wrong with your post. I'm not trying to be condescending, because most people have these misconceptions, but I see it in every other forum (mostly from apple fanboys) and it's getting somewhat annoying.

There is no such thing as "aircraft grade aluminium". It doesn't really mean anything (I design jet engines, so you'll have to trust me on that one).

If anything, they are trying to make planes out of plastic nowadays (which they call "advanced polymers" or even sometimes "composites" etc... because it sounds cool, but really, it's mostly plastic).

Most plastics aren't even cheaper than metal, on a per pound basis. You can be sure that the plastic in your cellphone costs more than an equivalent mass of steel or aluminium. And then there's plastics like Kevlar and Lexan, which blow aluminium and steel out of the water in terms of both strength and price.

Yeah, metal does look better according to some (myself included), but it's not more durable, expensive, stronger or inherently more premium than metal.

So please don't drink the Apple "Aluminium comes straight from the space age and is the best metal ever" kool aid. You're an android user, you're better than that. They make beer cans out of aluminium.

Status
Not open for further replies.