Rumoured AMD Radeon HD 8000 Specifications Leak Online

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The 9970 Volcanic Islands part was rumoured to have 4000+SP not the 8970 so it was correct on the 2000+

johnb0118

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
"the HD 8970 will be based on the Curacao XT core, which will carry 2304 stream processors, 144 TMUs, 48 ROPs, a core clock speed of 1100 MHz, and 6 GB of GDDR5 memory running over a 384-bit memory interface at an effective speed of 7.0 GHz."
AMD's website has had the information up about the 8970 for some time now. (http://www.amd.com/us/Documents/AMD_Radeon_HD_8970_Feature_Summary.pdf)
The PDF on AMD's website detailing this GPU is the following:
2048 Stream Processors - 256 less than this article states
128 TMU's - 16 less than this article states
32 ROPs - 16 less than this article states
clock speed of 1000 MHz (1050 MHz Boost) - 50-100 MHz less than what this article states
3GB GDDR5 Memory - 3GB less than what this article states
I am all for having a GPU with the specs listed in this article, but AMD's website with the official specs are what I'm going by. At least this article isn't getting my hopes up about the imagined Radeon 9970 with 4096 stream processors. That was a big ass tease that turned out to be completely false. Damn, Tom, you're worse than my wife!

You don't think in the wacky world of OEM vs Mainline that these can be subject to change, so they add 300 stream processors, throw in more Rastor operations etc etc, this is not revolutionary and since the 8970OEM is actually like 4 months old it stated in the original review that it was a rehashed 7970 designed for OEMs only.

jwcalla

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
Seems a bit suspicious that "someone" posts a "rumor" like this just as NVIDIA is releasing their new line of products.

well you know the usual. keep feeding people with non-existent parts that suppose to beat competitor product so they don't pull the trigger to get competitor product. or at the very least to calm the fanboi and tell them they do have product in the pipeline to punch the competitor to pulp :D

anyway joiking aside since there are no words from amd themselves to confirm anything new this year i firmly believe amd does not have anything better than Tahiti XT that currently powering 7970Ghz and amd owned reference 7990.

My conspiracy theory is that AMD got Nvidia to run for the hills and abandon GTX600 series and throw another generation at the now aging Tahiti (Tahiti and Cape Verde released officialy back end of 2011, but is older than that) now AMD knows that Nvidia has nowhere to go until Q4 2014, if they release something close to the rumoured HD9970 and forgo on the HD8000 series, then it will basically see a HD9850 competing against the GTX770, the 9970 in theory should be well faster than the Titan without any need for hessitation, and we know that AMD has working prototypes of stacked VRAM along with a super secret GCN 2.0 and improved Zero Core....this is why we like rumours, they are fun but marely speculatory.

I highly disagree with those who think 3gb vram is more than enough.
IMHO 3gb vram is the bare bare minimum for real high end gaming. Triple 1440p monitors will easily cross this barrier on almost every post 2011 game made, especially true for the benchmark games we see today, bf3, crysis 3, skyrim etc.
skyrim alone can easily cross 6gb when modded to the full potential.

Michael Wolfe

Honorable
May 14, 2013
Why the hell would anyone even presume AMD would skip a series moniker? It's just a number, why would they give a flying frak?
The only series moniker they skipped was any potential HD3000 series since they had intended to use odd-numbered series for mobile platforms, but they were still settling into there new numbering scheme. They have settled into a numbering scheme. They will hold to it. A moniker number doesn't change how well it'll perform. They have no reason to skip HD8000 since it's just a number. Get over it already, please.

Because the word has been around since December last year, do try and keep up!

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/2105/

czerro

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
I'm gonna call BS on the validity of this 'leak'. Is GDDR5 dirt cheap all of a sudden? 6GB on the high-end and 5GB (that's a weird number) on the upper-middle? It's a waste of resource and money and won't impact the performance of the card beyond 2 GB for 99 percent of uses. Save that 6GB for the business class CAD stuff that MIGHT be able to take advantage of it...
I'm going to call BS, top-tier MAY have 4GB but that's kinda overkill but where you would have to go from 2GB...or 3.2GB but it's not a nice round number and doesn't sound very impressive.

mcHotsauce1

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2013
just look at the specs for this computer i saw on tigerdirect and see that the HD8000 series is going to happen.
tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=8034465&sku=A180-G1200
;)

lemon07r

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
To all those people saying they are skipping the 8000 series NO THEY ARE NOT, doesn't mean I believe the specs leaked are accurate (in fact I highly doubt them). BUT AMD said everything being released this year (2013) will be under the 8000 series! Thats all the 8000 means, its just their way of naming things, whether or not if it will be gcn 2.0 remains unkown, if they do skip the 8000 series IT MEANS NO NEW AMD CARDS THIS YEAR. Now thats highly unlikely given current standing, more then likely they will release the new 8000 cards around the time battlefield 4 is released (as rumored, seeing as amd is working closely with ea this wouldn't be surprising) or around Christmas (this wouldn't be their first time!) like they promised! (they promised a Q4 release after clearing up that AMD's next line of graphics cards would be released THIS YEAR EVEN THOUGH it is delayed). What bugs me though are the people saying no 8000 series because they are oem lol, those are different from the actual 8000 series, the only reason they are labled as oem, BECAUSE they are oems from this year!! Again this is just apart of AMD's naming scheme (not the most sensible one imo).
Sources:
http://techreport.com/review/24368/fate-of-amd-sea-islands-obscured-in-the-fog
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6751/amd-reiterates-2013-gpu-plans-sea-islands-beyond
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Radeon-Delay-GeForce-HD8000,20979.html
(I had one more source but I cant find the article with interview that proves 8000 is just naming scheme for this years video cards)

Status
Not open for further replies.