Run from solid state store on mech drive

zeusmiester

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
I am going to build a system (actually many of them) I would like to have two drives in this system. one a very fast reasonably large (100 gig) plus VERY fast solid state hard drive and the other a very fast and very large (10 or 2 Teri) mechanical drive. My question is how do I setup the prefetch or cache or whatever to run the operating system and my recent history of programs off of the solid state and have the mechanical drive there with everything on it in case I choose to something new into the recent history list by running some program once. also have oldest bumped off solid state, when space becomes an issue, but still keep it on mechanical hard drive. I think that this system will appear to run faster except the first time you run a program. I think this would be useful for instance on a system that plays the same online game everyday. Or works with the same complicated drawing in auto-cad for weeks. I have my own ideas about how to do this, but I thought I might throw this out there to what it sounds like when it hits the wall.

zeusmiester

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
Here is the proof read versison
I am going to build a system (actually many of them) I would like to have two drives in this system. one a very fast reasonably large (100 gig) plus solid state hard drive and the other a very fast and very large (1 or 2 Teri) mechanical drive. My question is how do I setup the prefetch or cache or whatever to run the operating system (win7) and my recent history of programs off of the solid state and have the mechanical drive there with everything on it in case I choose to put something new into the recent history list by opening a file or running some program once. also have oldest files bumped off solid state, when space becomes an issue, but still keep it on mechanical hard drive. I think that this system will appear to run faster except the first time you run a program. I think this would be useful for instance on a system that plays the same online game everyday. Or works with the same complicated drawing in auto-cad for weeks. I have my own ideas about how to do this, but I thought I might throw this out there to see what it sounds like when it hits the wall.

Windows 7 does that for you.

If you're playing the same game online every day install it on the SSD. No reason to leave your SSD 70% empty. Same for the majority of items you use every day like your web browser - install on the SSD.

The way I do mine, is to install as usual on SSD, once at desktop as first user, enable the admin account.

Login as admin, delete the user, now edit the registry to ensure profiles etc are stored on HDD, setup pagefile on HDD.

Create a new admin user and reboot for changes to take effect.

Now login as user, disable admin account.

Now anything a user does, temp files etc will get saved on HDD, keeping SSD for apps and windows.

I did post more complete guide.