Run or Extract All?

SpeedTrainer

Honorable
Mar 19, 2016
I just installed Windows 7 and I am downloading some applications for it like my web browser, antivirus, etc... After clicking download, I get a box that says:

This application may depend on other compressed files in this folder. For the application to run properly it is recommended that you first extract all files.

I have the option to Extract All or Run. I did a google search for what to pick and everyone says Extract All. Wouldn't it just be better to run it and have one less thing saved on my computer? Or is there more to it than just that? Thanks.

Solution
You can try Run no harm in that but most of the time it won't work. The reason it won't work is most installers aren't capable of reading from compressed folders so when they search for the installation data they can't find it.
You can try Run no harm in that but most of the time it won't work. The reason it won't work is most installers aren't capable of reading from compressed folders so when they search for the installation data they can't find it.

Solution

SpeedTrainer

Honorable
Mar 19, 2016

Okay. So do you think it is better to try Run first and if it fails then Extract All or just go straight to Extract All? Not sure if Extract All has any other benefit besides possibly saving myself a few minutes if Run doesn't work.

Personally I just go straight with extract all just because there are like 3 things that actually run the first time without extracting.

There is no benefit outside of saving a few seconds if run doesn't work though So it is just personal choice on that one.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
And trying Run first has no benefit other than saving yourself a few seconds to extract.

You can just delete the folder created by extracting after installation is complete.