Run pc on battery

MasterPCbuilder

Reputable
Nov 14, 2015
I just want to build a laptop with desktop components. I don't care that it will be thick and hard to build. I just want to be one of the few non OEMs to build a laptop. Because that is mostly what I see on other forms. Ok, with that out of the way, I will explain. I said explained above what my goal was, so now I will go more in depth. I would like to build a laptop using a metal suitcase, and desktop components, along with a battery. would like to get it to peak at 95w without using an atom CPU. Here's a link to the pcpartpicker build: http://goo.gl/VlmN3K
I just want to try this out. I mainly need help with the battery aspect of it. Mainly, finding a battery with suitable capacity to run at least 45 minutes - 90 min. As well as finding one with accommodating output. Also, is there some kind of adapter as a standard laptop battery to a wall outlet? Thanks

Solution
I think you should just buy a rasberry pi and play with that. You'll learn a lot about how your battery needs will work and there are tons of guides on them. Then once you have a better idea you can change up the hardware.
Why are you not using Thin Mini ITX form factor?

You should also be using an SFX powersupply at the largest.
That said, i thought you wanted it to run off of a battery? That makes your PSU null and void.
You're not going to take a DC battery, use a converter to get it to AC, and then have the PSU convert it back? Doesn't make any sense at all.

Look at PicoPSUs and laptop bricks.

USAFRet

Titan

Using a desktop PSU kills the battery concept.
Also, you have to power the monitor off that same battery.

Getting 1 hour out of those parts will cost at least 30 lbs in battery power.

I think you should just buy a rasberry pi and play with that. You'll learn a lot about how your battery needs will work and there are tons of guides on them. Then once you have a better idea you can change up the hardware.

Solution

MasterPCbuilder

Reputable
Nov 14, 2015

Well, any suggestions?

USAFRet

Titan

Yes.
Start with a laptop.
Disassemble it.
Mount it inside that aluminum suitcase.
Done.

MasterPCbuilder

Reputable
Nov 14, 2015

Well, my entire goal is to run a desktop off of battery power.

MasterPCbuilder

Reputable
Nov 14, 2015

I like this solution, but the raspberry pi, while versatile, is not customizable in terms of hardware. But I guess I'll look into it and give you some feedback.

MasterPCbuilder

Reputable
Nov 14, 2015

Ok, so I looked at the pi. 1gb of ram, and not to mind the arm cpu, I'm not sure that will run windows. I have an friend who had a pc with 2gb of ram, and an atom processor. He could barely run 5 tabs on chrome! I remember this one video I found a few years ago. I'll try to find it and link it here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq5nrHz9I94