run the CPU fan separated from heatsink?

zdenkers

Commendable
Oct 12, 2016
So iʻm looking at purchasing the following setup http://pcpartpicker.com/list/wFLw3F but iʻm wondering about cooling, i really want to have a decent noise level. So i was thinking i could likely remove the reeven coolerʻs fan and use a nice quiet high airflow high static pressure fan as an intake fan over top of the heatsink, since there is some ventilation directly above the heatsink placement. The question is how much detriment should i expect to see in cooling performance for the cpu. Overall i would expect to see a decrease in internal temperature and required fan speed, but iʻm concerned that i wonʻt be forcing enough air into the heatsink at that point. There would be a roughly 5-10 mm gap from the fan to the heat sink. i know i can make a fan mount to the case just not sure how i would mount a 120mm fan to a heatsink designed for a 100mm fan.

To reiterate my question is how bad would it be to have the heatsink fan positioned 5-10mm further from the heatsink than its normal position directly mounted to the heatsink.

Solution

I like that idea. The intake air will exit someplace. and, if you put a filter on the intake, your case will stay cleaner. One problem is that the included fan is not deep, only 100 x 12mm.
That is not good for high airflow.
If you get insufficient airflow, try replacing the intake fan with a conventional 120 x 25mm fan which will still be quiet with considerably more airflow.
$5-7 will buy you one.

zdenkers

Commendable
Oct 12, 2016

No I am saying the increased overall airflow of having a larger fan that is engineered to push more cfm at a higher static pressure could be better, the question is what % of the 20-30% increase in cooling is going to be lost on the heatsink by the 5-10mm gap between it and the heatsink?

zdenkers

Commendable
Oct 12, 2016
Well decided i am going to create a duct that the fan mounts inside of that directs the airflow onto the heatsink allowing me to direct the air exactly how i want.

I like that idea. The intake air will exit someplace. and, if you put a filter on the intake, your case will stay cleaner. One problem is that the included fan is not deep, only 100 x 12mm.
That is not good for high airflow.
If you get insufficient airflow, try replacing the intake fan with a conventional 120 x 25mm fan which will still be quiet with considerably more airflow.
$5-7 will buy you one.

Solution