RunDLL errors at startup

trundley

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Can anyone help me?

I've just managed to remove the most part of the PCEU virus and im left with a RunDLL error at startup that i assume is looking for the .exe to run the virus but i dont know how to remove the action that causes the runDLL to occur.

Heres the file path im given when it looks for the file.

"c:\users\username\appdata\local\temp\temp\glom0_og.exe"

Any help? Thanks.

look under msconfig to see what loaded in start up. most time the virus will drop something in start up.
also do a regesit and search for glom)_og.exe and delete anything there. then reboot and you should be fine. I would also google the remove the virus to see if it dropped anything else into your registry.

trundley

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Just done a search of the registry via "regedit" in the start menu and the only thing it found in the registry was "taskbarGlomLevel"

I've just looked in msconfig and found that the 2 items in the startup tab that has rundll in its name is for the bluetooth on my laptop and the other is "ctfmon" which is safe via a google search.

Will restart after malwarebytes has finished scanning. I cant stop it from scanning my steam file so it will take a while. Its scanned 227800 objects but found nothing yet.

trundley

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Ah, i just cancelled it and it completed a quick scan with 2 found threats. Deleted both. Going to do a quick one with hitman pro 3.5 then Ccleaner for registry then will restart.

EDIT: No joy, its still there. System restore may well be the answer if no-one has any ideas.

couprie

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012
This might be easier than you thought.

Go to your start menu, All Programs and then Startup. There's probably an icon there that is called something like mgtmon (something with mon, i don't remember the full name) which is actually a rundll shortcut to start that glom0-og.exe file. Simply remove it from your startup group and you're done.

trundley

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012

You sir, are a life saver. I don't know why i didnt suspect it earlier! I just went into msconfig and the startup tab to disable it and no error!!

Winner.

RedLodgeComputers

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
Perfect solution HP Pav Laptop Entertain Edit. WinVista SP3 scanned with NOD32 and found in specifeid location, msconfig/startup "ctfmon" removed it and problem solved!! Saved me MANY Hours of time!! Thanks :bounce:

ntrsvic

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012

I just dealt with a similar problem with "Live Security Professional" and when I got it cleaned up, I had a similar runDLL error (toatdo.dat). Taking Couprie's advice, I found "msconfig" in my start up file. Clicking on it caused my runDLL error to repeat. So, I deleted it and all was good.