Rundll32.exe nearly maxing my CPU out..

Status
Not open for further replies.

theburninator92

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013
I started noticing that my computer was starting to slowdown pretty bad at random random times, so naturally I pull up task manager, I find that Rundll32.exe is consuming anywhere from 50%-100% of my CPU, so far I've ran Bitdefender and Spybot S&D no viruses/malware detected, I also disabled my screen saver because if I leave it unattended for more than 20 minutes my screen goes blank (almost like it has gone into sleep mode or something) and I have to wiggle the mouse to wake it up that didn't help either.. Any ideas or tips for me here guys? Any help is greatly appreciated, please and thanks.

Solution

That looks to me like it is attempting to find solutions to queued error reports that result from crashed programs.

You can clean these up using the Disk Cleanup utility (scroll down and click all the checkboxes). That might help
what happened was your automatic update scan, thats supposed to run in the background and check your updates vs the servers got corrupted and now uses abnormal amounts of CPU. Basically, it developed a serious leak. No real way to fix it outside of a reinstall. But try this first Turn off automatic updates via by going to the run bar. Typing in 'msconfig' then search around till you find automatic updates and disable it.

theburninator92

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013
Turning off Automatic updates solved it, I may not even do a re-install if it keeps working this well, I'll just save a day once every couple of weeks to do updates not that difficult to do them manually. Thanks a ton for the help man, couldn't play meh games or anything for a while there lol...

theburninator92

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013
Hmm, it seems to be doing the exact same thing today even though automatic update is still turned off.. Was what you told me to do just a temporary fix until I did a reinstall or is it showing signs of a different problem?

Rundll32.exe is a program that allows for standardized launching of shared logic contained within DLL files. DLL stands for Dynamically Linked Library. DLLs contain program code that is dynamically linked into a program when it is run, as opposed to statically linked into a program when it is compiled. This allows for easy portability between operating systems provided that the interface is the same.

Rundll32.exe simply allows for named routines contained within DLLs to be launched without creating a program specifically to load and launch it. It's not uncommon for a few to run for a short period of time, nor for some to persist in the background. However, since it's a well known program name, malware occasionally masquerades with the same name. Under task manager you can enable the "Command Line" column to see exactly what was invoked for the process that's chewing up all your CPU time. You should see something along the lines of "C:\Windows\System32\rundll.exe <somefile.dll>,<some function name> [function arguments]".

If the task does not begin with "C:\Windows\System32\rundll.exe" then it may be malicious software that is simply trying to obscure itself by adopting the same name. Without knowing the dll and function, it's not possible to know what's causing the problem.

As a side note, you should reenable automatic windows updates

theburninator92

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013
"C:\Windows\System32\RunDll32.exe" "C:\Windows\system32\werconcpl.dll", LaunchErcAPP -queuerreporting Is what it says, and I re-enabled automatic updates as soon as I saw that it didn't permanently fix the problem.

That looks to me like it is attempting to find solutions to queued error reports that result from crashed programs.

You can clean these up using the Disk Cleanup utility (scroll down and click all the checkboxes). That might help

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.