Runes, runes and more runes

Hello all,

I have been seeing more and more players with really exotic weapons bearing
some really freaky runes.

1) Where are y'all getting these runes??
2) Where are y'all getting these weapons?
3) How can I get my grubby little hands on some too?

Thanks

Vito

1. Bots, which gather runes and items for trading.
2. PayPal... and EBay or any of several sites selling items.

At least on Hardcore Ladder I believe these are their techniques. I do NOT
want to think they're duping on that realm. Now that I think of it, I
believe the runes ARE duped on the sites selling them.

BadCo

"Red Wizard" <polgara64@videotron.ca> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> I have been seeing more and more players with really exotic weapons
> bearing some really freaky runes.
>
> 1) Where are y'all getting these runes??
> 2) Where are y'all getting these weapons?
> 3) How can I get my grubby little hands on some too?
>
> Thanks
>
> Vito

Hi,

"Red Wizard" <polgara64@videotron.ca> wrote in

> 1) Where are y'all getting these runes??
> 2) Where are y'all getting these weapons?
> 3) How can I get my grubby little hands on some too?

if you don't cheat or use duped runes, there are still some ways to get
runes up to GUL.
Hell Hellforge first drop gives one rune from HEL to GUL. So your chance
is 1 to 11 to get a GUL.
Hell Countess can drop up to IST rune from her special rune drop (1-3
runes) with a chance of 1:1600 for IST.

So you can safely assume that most runes above GUL offered on B-net are
cheated or duped. And items with runewords requiring these runes are
mostly cheated, too.

So you can do several hundred Countess runs and hope for some good runes.
Or rush some chars to Hell Hellforge hunting for that GUL.

As I only play SP, I tried most of the high-end runewords with cheated
runes, but found that these runewords mostly are over-rated.
The highest runeword item I have is a Delirium helmet (LEM, IST, IO)
which is really great.

Regards,

Oliver

"Oliver Wenzel" <ouuch@t-online.de> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> "Red Wizard" <polgara64@videotron.ca> wrote in
>
> > 1) Where are y'all getting these runes??
> > 2) Where are y'all getting these weapons?
> > 3) How can I get my grubby little hands on some too?
>
> if you don't cheat or use duped runes, there are still some ways to
get
> runes up to GUL.
> Hell Hellforge first drop gives one rune from HEL to GUL. So your
chance
> is 1 to 11 to get a GUL.
> Hell Countess can drop up to IST rune from her special rune drop
(1-3
> runes) with a chance of 1:1600 for IST.
>
> So you can safely assume that most runes above GUL offered on B-net
are
> cheated or duped. And items with runewords requiring these runes are
> mostly cheated, too.

Not necessarily. There are people who can rush a mule character up to
Hell Hellforge in a time of minutes rather than hours (especially by
cooperation/leeching). And once you've gotten to high-level runes, you
only need TWO of the high level (plus one gem) to cube up to a yet
higher one.

> So you can do several hundred Countess runs and hope for some good
runes.
> Or rush some chars to Hell Hellforge hunting for that GUL.

And in either case, cube them up with gems - gems are NOT difficult to
come by. Two GULs will get you a VEX, four will get you the next one
above that (OHM I believe). Admittedly it takes 256 to get a ZOD. But
then, this number will always be reduced by the very occasional chance
of getting a high-end rune from a monster drop.

And by the way, Hell Countess can in fact drop up to LO - yes, she
gets up to an IST, maximum, from her "special rune drop", but she has
also a "standard" drop which could drop an item dependent on her
level... and if it gets the chance of that item being a rune (rather
than a unique, set, rare or magical item or gold), then that rune can
be as high as a LO, at a truly vanishingly small chance. Or so I hear.

Jonathan.

Hi,

"Jonathan Ellis" <jonathan@franz-liszt.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in

> "Oliver Wenzel" <ouuch@t-online.de> wrote in message

>> So you can safely assume that most runes above GUL offered on B-net
> are
>> cheated or duped. And items with runewords requiring these runes are
>> mostly cheated, too.
>
> Not necessarily. There are people who can rush a mule character up to
> Hell Hellforge in a time of minutes rather than hours (especially by
> cooperation/leeching). And once you've gotten to high-level runes, you
> only need TWO of the high level (plus one gem) to cube up to a yet
> higher one.

oh well, I gotta read up on this. I needed about three days to get my
current char to level 61, so I guess I could rush him to Hell Hellforge in
about another 4-6 hours. To cube up to a LO, you need 8 GUL runes. With the
1:11 chance of a GUL drop, that's only 88 Hellforge runs.
Double this number for each rune above LO, and you only need 256 GUL to
cube a ZOD. And that means close to 3000 Hellforge runs.

>> So you can do several hundred Countess runs and hope for some good
> runes.
>> Or rush some chars to Hell Hellforge hunting for that GUL.
>
> And in either case, cube them up with gems - gems are NOT difficult to
> come by. Two GULs will get you a VEX, four will get you the next one
> above that (OHM I believe). Admittedly it takes 256 to get a ZOD. But
> then, this number will always be reduced by the very occasional chance
> of getting a high-end rune from a monster drop.

Not everybody can get to Hell Hellforge in a few minutes. If I'd really
press it, I guess I could get 2 mules there in one day (8-12 horus). That
is still 88/2 = 44 days to get a LO rune.

Anyhow, there are only 2 runewords above GUL rune that I'd really want:

Chains of Honor armor = DOL, UM, BER, IST
Fortitude armor = EL, SOL, DOL, LO

I already have one VEX, so I just need another 3 to cube up to LO.

Regards,

Oliver

Enigma is great!
Beast is good for the fanaticm aura.
Hoto
CTA
these are all good runewords that many chars use!

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 08:11:29 +0200, Oliver Wenzel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> "Jonathan Ellis" <jonathan@franz-liszt.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
>

>> "Oliver Wenzel" <ouuch@t-online.de> wrote in message
>
>>> So you can safely assume that most runes above GUL offered on B-net
>> are
>>> cheated or duped. And items with runewords requiring these runes are
>>> mostly cheated, too.

I don't think that one can safely assume this about duping.
The notion of "cheating" is a little vague in this context.
If someone rushes mules then are the runes from their
Forge cheats?
If someone runs a bot that gathers items and then trades those
items for runes, then they are cheating but
the runes they end up with might have been found legitimately.

Runes are used as currency on realms. One
can assume that someone with a mule full of high runes didn't
find them all by themselves but that doesn't imply that that they
cheated to get them or that the runes themselves are not
legitimate. I bet a lot of those runes were found by random
people who then traded away for a few characters full of good
gear.

>> Not necessarily. There are people who can rush a mule character up to
>> Hell Hellforge in a time of minutes rather than hours (especially by
>> cooperation/leeching). And once you've gotten to high-level runes, you
>> only need TWO of the high level (plus one gem) to cube up to a yet
>> higher one.
>
> oh well, I gotta read up on this. I needed about three days to get my
> current char to level 61, so I guess I could rush him to Hell Hellforge in
> about another 4-6 hours. To cube up to a LO, you need 8 GUL runes. With the
> 1:11 chance of a GUL drop, that's only 88 Hellforge runs.
> Double this number for each rune above LO, and you only need 256 GUL to
> cube a ZOD. And that means close to 3000 Hellforge runs.

Two techniques that seem to be used for forge are self-rushing a
bunch of mules, and also some people make chars in Classic to avoid
the extra act and then convert those chars to LOD when they are ready
for HellForge on hell level.

Hi,

The Shadow <a@b.com> wrote in news:Khs1e.3098$Nm3.2998@fe11.lga:

> Enigma is great!
> Beast is good for the fanaticm aura.
> Hoto
> CTA
> these are all good runewords that many chars use!

For JAH and BER Enigma is a bad joke. Most of my chars have an ammu with
teleport charges, so only the +2 all skills and MF would interest me. No
decent defense, no resists and no Crushing Blow..

CtA needs IST and OHM and also is way too expensive for pre-buffing. If
your char needs Battle Orders to survive, you are doing something wrong.
And the rest of the mods don't make it a really good main weapon.

HotO is a good caster weapon if you happen to have a VEX. I have a VEX
and could make one, but, once again, I haven't had the need to do so.

Looking at BEAST, it would make an ideal Druid werewolf weapon.
Especially the 40%IAS would get it to 5fpa in a Feral Axe. Leven 13
Grizzly is just great. But as I yet have to see a rune above VEX...

The highest rune I've put in a runeword so far is an IST for Delirium
helmet. And I really would have big problems without that thing.

Regards,

Oliver

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 11:53:45 +0200, Oliver Wenzel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The Shadow <a@b.com> wrote in news:Khs1e.3098$Nm3.2998@fe11.lga:
>
>> Enigma is great!
>> Beast is good for the fanaticm aura.
>> Hoto
>> CTA
>> these are all good runewords that many chars use!
>>

> For JAH and BER Enigma is a bad joke. Most of my chars have an ammu with
> teleport charges, so only the +2 all skills and MF would interest me. No
> decent defense, no resists and no Crushing Blow..

I would love to have an Enigma, though whether I would use it on
any melee char is another question. One feature you didn't mention
is the huge strength bonus. Also, a teleport ammy is typically
not optimal in terms of other features.

> CtA needs IST and OHM and also is way too expensive for pre-buffing. If
> your char needs Battle Orders to survive, you are doing something wrong.
> And the rest of the mods don't make it a really good main weapon.

'Needs to survive' is sort of an adhoc predicate. Any char will
increase their chance of surviving longer if they have more hit points,
and if they didn't need the extra hit points then they could have
used less points in vitality and more in strength or dex.

> HotO is a good caster weapon if you happen to have a VEX. I have a VEX
> and could make one, but, once again, I haven't had the need to do so.
>
> Looking at BEAST, it would make an ideal Druid werewolf weapon.
> Especially the 40%IAS would get it to 5fpa in a Feral Axe. Leven 13
> Grizzly is just great. But as I yet have to see a rune above VEX...
>
> The highest rune I've put in a runeword so far is an IST for Delirium
> helmet. And I really would have big problems without that thing.

Do you think Delirium is a lot better than a Shako/Harlequin Crest?

rwb

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2005

~misfit~ wrote:
> Last2Know wrote:
> > On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 08:11:29 +0200, Oliver Wenzel wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> "Jonathan Ellis" <jonathan@franz-liszt.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in

> Interesting tip about the Classic thing. Does that do away with the
clvl
> requirement for completing a difficulty (lvl 20 for ancients etc.)?
>
> Cheers,
> --
> ~misfit~

There are no ancients in classic no act 5 at all. Just rush the
caracter past Diablo. Then convert over to LOD and do the forge thing.
If you want to try it out I can give you access to a few classic
caracters
I have built to do this funtion. Just give me a valid e-mail address
and I will send the password and account name to you. I am currently
not useing my Diablo accounts so someone needs to use them.
Robert (clcrw west Bethanie Wow (uldame))

Hi,

Last2Know <grokkalot@yahoo.com> wrote in

> On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 11:53:45 +0200, Oliver Wenzel wrote:
>
>> For JAH and BER Enigma is a bad joke. Most of my chars have an ammu
>> with teleport charges, so only the +2 all skills and MF would
>> interest me. No decent defense, no resists and no Crushing Blow..
>
> I would love to have an Enigma, though whether I would use it on
> any melee char is another question. One feature you didn't mention
> is the huge strength bonus. Also, a teleport ammy is typically
> not optimal in terms of other features.

so, what good is that strength bonus on a caster? Upgraded Vipermagi has
about the same defense, just one +skill less and up to +45 all resists when
socketed with an UM rune. And a caster will love the 30%FCR as well.

>> CtA needs IST and OHM and also is way too expensive for pre-buffing.
>> If your char needs Battle Orders to survive, you are doing something
>> wrong. And the rest of the mods don't make it a really good main
>> weapon.
>
> 'Needs to survive' is sort of an adhoc predicate. Any char will
> increase their chance of surviving longer if they have more hit
> points, and if they didn't need the extra hit points then they could
> have used less points in vitality and more in strength or dex.

I just believe if you can't survive without this extra life and skill
level, your char build or playing tactics are somehow wrong. I have no PvP
experience, but I guess this extra power might be needed there.

>> The highest rune I've put in a runeword so far is an IST for Delirium
>> helmet. And I really would have big problems without that thing.
>
> Do you think Delirium is a lot better than a Shako/Harlequin Crest?

Delirium really rocks on a merc that has sufficient life leech elsewhere. A
necro will hate it, but my ThrowBarbs, my Pally and now my WW Druid just
love it.
My Druid's Might merc will have BoneHew, Duress armor and Delirium. At
level 70 he doesn't have that 196 STR, but HEL and AMN take care of that
and give 7% life leech.
Most monsters on-screen will be either confused or terrored and fighting
each other or running away. Easy pickings. And even in morphed state your
merc will rarely die.
My preferred mix up to now was Delirium on the merc and Harlequin with UM
on my char. But my Druid just won't let go of his Jalal's Mane..

Regards,

Oliver

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 23:31:35 +0200, Oliver Wenzel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Last2Know <grokkalot@yahoo.com> wrote in
>
>> On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 11:53:45 +0200, Oliver Wenzel wrote:
>>
>>> For JAH and BER Enigma is a bad joke. Most of my chars have an ammu
>>> with teleport charges, so only the +2 all skills and MF would
>>> interest me. No decent defense, no resists and no Crushing Blow..
>>
>> I would love to have an Enigma, though whether I would use it on
>> any melee char is another question. One feature you didn't mention
>> is the huge strength bonus. Also, a teleport ammy is typically
>> not optimal in terms of other features.
>
> so, what good is that strength bonus on a caster? Upgraded Vipermagi has
> about the same defense, just one +skill less and up to +45 all resists when
> socketed with an UM rune. And a caster will love the 30%FCR as well.

Whether the Enigma is better than the Vipermagi depends on other
gear. If the Enigma is made in a low strength armor then using
its strength bonus, all those stat points are available for
vitality. Of course a breast plate enigma will also have much
lower defense than an upgraded Vipermagi too. Whether the FCR
makes a difference depends on the build and on whether it hits
different FCR breakpoints. The Enigma would be particularly good
for a Summoning Necro who doesn't need FCR and can use teleport
to bring all his minions to a given spot at the same time. All
the other mods of Enigma - 45% FRW, Damage reduced, damage goes
to mana, MF - are useful as well.

>>> CtA needs IST and OHM and also is way too expensive for pre-buffing.
>>> If your char needs Battle Orders to survive, you are doing something
>>> wrong. And the rest of the mods don't make it a really good main
>>> weapon.
>>
>> 'Needs to survive' is sort of an adhoc predicate. Any char will
>> increase their chance of surviving longer if they have more hit points,
>> and if they didn't need the extra hit points then they could have used
>> less points in vitality and more in strength or dex.
>
> I just believe if you can't survive without this extra life and skill
> level, your char build or playing tactics are somehow wrong. I have no
> PvP experience, but I guess this extra power might be needed there.

People play different chars with different goals. For some underpowered
builds, survival is the goal. Others want to see how quickly
and easily they can proceed through difficult areas. Others want to
reach a very high char level where any death becomes a big setback
even in SC. And of course death is the end of the story in HC, where
play progresses already at a slower pace. The point is that having
more vitality and mana helps with many different goals.

>>> The highest rune I've put in a runeword so far is an IST for Delirium
>>> helmet. And I really would have big problems without that thing.
>>
>> Do you think Delirium is a lot better than a Shako/Harlequin Crest?
>>
> Delirium really rocks on a merc that has sufficient life leech

(and resists).
Okay, that makes sense to me.

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 12:12:54 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

> Last2Know wrote:
>> On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 08:11:29 +0200, Oliver Wenzel wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> "Jonathan Ellis" <jonathan@franz-liszt.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in

>> I don't think that one can safely assume this about duping.
>> The notion of "cheating" is a little vague in this context.
>> If someone rushes mules then are the runes from their
>> Forge cheats?
>
> Not in my opinion, they worked for them

They didn't work as hard as someone who leveled each char
individually. What is "cheating" anyway? One definition
would be gaining an advantage by not following the rules
governing the activity. One could argue that there is no
rule against rushing mules, but its clear that Blizzard took
steps to prevent that and failed (perhaps they don't mind
people buying extra copies of their game). By the same
token, they tried and failed to stop bots. Perhaps they
tried and failed to stop selling of items on Ebay.

>> If someone runs a bot that gathers items and then trades those
>> items for runes, then they are cheating but
>> the runes they end up with might have been found legitimately.
>
> But they weren't.

What I meant above is those particular runes they have in
their stash were found legitimately by somebody. They
weren't dupes or found by the bots themselves in this example.
I'm illustrating a counterexample for someone who claims they
must be dupes because nobody could find all those runes
themselves.

> Interesting tip about the Classic thing. Does that do away with the clvl
> requirement for completing a difficulty (lvl 20 for ancients etc.)?

No ancients in Classic. I don't think there any level requirements.

"Oliver Wenzel" <ouuch@t-online.de> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> "Red Wizard" <polgara64@videotron.ca> wrote in
>
> > 1) Where are y'all getting these runes??
> > 2) Where are y'all getting these weapons?
> > 3) How can I get my grubby little hands on some too?
>
> if you don't cheat or use duped runes, there are still some ways to get
> runes up to GUL.
> Hell Hellforge first drop gives one rune from HEL to GUL. So your chance
> is 1 to 11 to get a GUL.

Are you sure that it is linear? From what I have had drop it seems the low
runes drop a lot more often than the high ones, at least at nightmare that I
rush to all the time.

Hi,

"john graesser" <graesser@tca.net> wrote in

> "Oliver Wenzel" <ouuch@t-online.de> wrote in message

>> Hell Hellforge first drop gives one rune from HEL to GUL. So your
>> chance is 1 to 11 to get a GUL.
>
> Are you sure that it is linear? From what I have had drop it seems the
> low runes drop a lot more often than the high ones, at least at
> nightmare that I rush to all the time.

not 100% sure, but all what I've read points to this 1:11 chance. But like
with all statistical things, this will be an average over thousands of
Hellforge runs.

Regards,

Oliver