RuneScape Developer Working on Sci-Fi MMORPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
Wow, I forgot all about Runescape. I used to play it in grade 5, got to a pretty high level as I recall. Thanks for the post, I nostalgia'ed.

baracubra

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
Its a pity the RS graphics overhaul came so late...I would have died for it bck in grade 5 when me and all my buds were in RS rage...It came just a tad bit too late, only enough for me to log in after years of not playing and smile/frown

Runescape isn't a graphical joke that it used to be with the overhaul, but I think it came a bit too late. Everyone I know still thinks people play with those blocky, paint-themed characters when in reality its quite decent. I just don't have time for that anymore, that's all.

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
This looks really nice, I wonder if they are going to have the graphics processed on the users PC.

The quote "allowing gamers to play on almost any PC with an Internet connection." makes me think not.

However I know that Runescape does use your PC when you crank the graphics up, and also maybe even when you have them down. Since one time I was playing it on a Netbook on lowest settings yet I was running 100% CPU usage (not fully sure it was 100%).

I think the best idea would to have very scalable graphics settings and have it run on the users PC. Then have a feature where you pay extra then "Members" which makes them do all the processing. Since if I play this I want to think that I am saving some money because I put the money into good hardware.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]the_punkinator[/nom]This looks really nice, I wonder if they are going to have the graphics processed on the users PC. The quote "allowing gamers to play on almost any PC with an Internet connection." makes me think not.However I know that Runescape does use your PC when you crank the graphics up, and also maybe even when you have them down. Since one time I was playing it on a Netbook on lowest settings yet I was running 100% CPU usage (not fully sure it was 100%).I think the best idea would to have very scalable graphics settings and have it run on the users PC. Then have a feature where you pay extra then "Members" which makes them do all the processing. Since if I play this I want to think that I am saving some money because I put the money into good hardware.[/citation]

Don't you know? ALL OF JAGEX's games are client-side rendered..
ALL of them ARE rendered on the User's pc. how would you make a MMORPG all server-rendered when you sometimes have to render images for 200 000 users.. it just wouldnt work.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I used to play RS all day, and my brother still plays this 18 hours a day. Doesnt come out of the room even to eat. As addictive as these games are, I wont be interested because the last time I got into an MMO, I got 3 Fs in college. dont want to suffer that again.

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010

Ok fine, however I certainly wouldn't say it "just wouldn't work" considering Runescape servers have what a max of 2000 players? That certainly isn't impossible especially before the updated graphics. Instead it is just highly "impractical" because of bandwidth and server load.

The only reason I said anything is because quote "allowing gamers to play on almost any PC with an Internet connection.", how is "almost any PC" going to run a game with such graphics? My Netbook lags with Runescape on lowest settings.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I played a little Runescape about 5 years ago, it was OK at the time. If the graphics have gotten a lot better I might check out this new one (I love science fiction).

fatfatr

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
Wow...This is the "mechscape" jagex has been working on? Nice to hear the news, I've been waiting for this since last year. Going to sign up for the beta :D

spiralsun1

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
Runescape is by far the best MMORPG out there. It takes the longest to level and has such massive content that I have been playing nearly 5 years almost every day and have not maxed out my lvl yet or done even half the quests. It takes a lot of thought and there is a lot of risk to it (losing expensive stuff if you make mistakes, etc.) -- which makes it pretty adrenaline-charged for an MMORPG. Takes a lot of planning and thought to do it well, because many of the skills build on each other if you do them right. Runescape was supposed to be for ages over 13, but a lot of younger kids play because it has a limited free game on some of the servers. Most of the serious players I have played with are adults though. It is really not a kids game. It is way harder than WOW.

If Stellar Dawn is half the game Runescape is, it will be a hit! I cant wait!

spiralsun1

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
Runescape is by far the best MMORPG out there. It takes the longest to level and has such massive content that I have been playing nearly 5 years almost every day and have not maxed out my lvl yet or done even half the quests. It takes a lot of thought and there is a lot of risk to it (losing expensive stuff if you make mistakes, etc.) -- which makes it pretty adrenaline-charged for an MMORPG. Takes a lot of planning and thought to do it well, because many of the skills build on each other if you do them right. Runescape was supposed to be for ages over 13, but a lot of younger kids play because it has a limited free game on some of the servers. Most of the serious players I have played with are adults though. It is really not a kids game. It is way harder than WOW.

If Stellar Dawn is half the game Runescape is, it will be a hit! I cant wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS