Runeword fun

After reading several posts here about Assassins and especially Dragon
Talon, I decided to start a char based mainly on this skill. Good going
so far (a bit tedious for me though, using a single skill only),
NoisyGirl made it through Nightmare without much trouble and is now old
enough (lvl 60) to replace Blood Crescent (this weapon was made for a
low level DT Assassin) with - Lawbringer.

Why Lawbringer? Lets check the stats:
- 20% Chance To Cast Level 15 Decripify On Striking. Just gravy if you
hit about 5 times a second. Almost every crowd gets immediatedly
decrepified. Add a Holy Freeze merc and Cloak of Shadows and you almost
never get hit.
- Level 16 Sanctuary Aura When Equipped
Oh it looks sooo nice. And +600% ed against Undeads help a lot if you
have to treat the Oblivion Knights with Blade Fury (yes, it works with
BF). Not to speak of the knockback, which keeps the nasty mana stealing
Wraith at bay.
- -50% Target Defense
I'm not sure if this works with kick attacks. If it does, it makes AR
management a lot easier.
- Adds 150-210 Fire Damage and 130-180 Cold Damage
With 5 hits per second, thats equals about 1.6k elemental damage per
second. Cool.
- 7% Life Stolen Per Hit
Works with Dragon Talon and helps a lot.
- +200-250 Defense Vs. Missile (varies), +10 To Dexterity, 75% Extra
Gold From Monsters
All usefull modifiers.
- Slain Monsters Rest In Peace
Oh no! No corpses left to blow up with Death Sentry!

While questing through Act 3 NM, I got so bored in having to target
every single critter that I invested my saved up skill points (around 25
at that time) straight into Death Sentry. So either I have wasted these
skill points or I have to look for a different weapon.

---
Hannes, back to the game trying to find out if Voice of Reason is a
replacement.

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 18:23:31 +0200, Hannes Brunner wrote:

> After reading several posts here about Assassins and especially Dragon
> Talon, I decided to start a char based mainly on this skill. Good going
> so far (a bit tedious for me though, using a single skill only),

I also use ShadowMaster, Venom, BoS, CoS, MB, and DS regularly.
But I do blame Blizzard for making the relation between damage
skills and monster life such that most chars can only afford one
main type of attack.

> NoisyGirl made it through Nightmare without much trouble and is now old
> enough (lvl 60) to replace Blood Crescent (this weapon was made for a
> low level DT Assassin) with - Lawbringer.

I actually love Skewer of Krinitz even more than Blood Crescent for
the low level kickers, but of course that depends on other gear.
IK gloves, belt, and (for a little while) boots are also nice
mid level gear for a kicker.

> Why Lawbringer? Lets check the stats:
> - 20% Chance To Cast Level 15 Decripify On Striking. Just gravy if you
> hit about 5 times a second. Almost every crowd gets immediatedly
> decrepified. Add a Holy Freeze merc and Cloak of Shadows and you almost
> never get hit.
> - Level 16 Sanctuary Aura When Equipped
> Oh it looks sooo nice. And +600% ed against Undeads help a lot if you
> have to treat the Oblivion Knights with Blade Fury (yes, it works with
> BF). Not to speak of the knockback, which keeps the nasty mana stealing
> Wraith at bay.
> - -50% Target Defense
> I'm not sure if this works with kick attacks. If it does, it makes AR
> management a lot easier.
> - Adds 150-210 Fire Damage and 130-180 Cold Damage
> With 5 hits per second, thats equals about 1.6k elemental damage per
> second. Cool.
> - 7% Life Stolen Per Hit
> Works with Dragon Talon and helps a lot.
> - +200-250 Defense Vs. Missile (varies), +10 To Dexterity, 75% Extra
> Gold From Monsters
> All usefull modifiers.

True enough. The 390 avg. elemental damage is close to
the 455 avg. from a Demon's Arch but is still dominated
by the 902 avg. elemental damage from a Gimmershred.
I also saved all my pennies to get a Lo to make Fortitude
armor which adds 300% physical damage to kicks (much more
than skill level part of DT itself, not to mention BF) and
other useful mods.

> - Slain Monsters Rest In Peace
> Oh no! No corpses left to blow up with Death Sentry!

Yep, that's a big drawback.

> While questing through Act 3 NM, I got so bored in having to target
> every single critter that I invested my saved up skill points (around 25
> at that time) straight into Death Sentry. So either I have wasted these
> skill points or I have to look for a different weapon.

If I was rich enough then I would like to try BF with "Famine" runeword in
a good ethereal weapon. For DT, I think either Gimmers or Stormlash is
the best choice.

Last2Know schrieb:
> On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 18:23:31 +0200, Hannes Brunner wrote:
>
>>After reading several posts here about Assassins and especially Dragon
>>Talon, I decided to start a char based mainly on this skill. Good going
>>so far (a bit tedious for me though, using a single skill only),
>
> I also use ShadowMaster, Venom, BoS, CoS, MB, and DS regularly.
> But I do blame Blizzard for making the relation between damage
> skills and monster life such that most chars can only afford one
> main type of attack.

I do that too in the meantime. But in her younger days, it simply wasn't
necessary.

>>NoisyGirl made it through Nightmare without much trouble and is now old
>>enough (lvl 60) to replace Blood Crescent (this weapon was made for a
>>low level DT Assassin) with - Lawbringer.
>
> I actually love Skewer of Krinitz even more than Blood Crescent for
> the low level kickers, but of course that depends on other gear.
> IK gloves, belt, and (for a little while) boots are also nice
> mid level gear for a kicker.

Right from the start, I gave mine complete Cleglaws. Some resists, 35%
CB, AR booster, knockback, slow and most important: mana leech. The
requirements for the sword are a bit high though.

>>Why Lawbringer? Lets check the stats:
>>- 20% Chance To Cast Level 15 Decripify On Striking. Just gravy if you
>>hit about 5 times a second. Almost every crowd gets immediatedly
>>decrepified. Add a Holy Freeze merc and Cloak of Shadows and you almost
>>never get hit.
>>- Level 16 Sanctuary Aura When Equipped
>>Oh it looks sooo nice. And +600% ed against Undeads help a lot if you
>>have to treat the Oblivion Knights with Blade Fury (yes, it works with
>>BF). Not to speak of the knockback, which keeps the nasty mana stealing
>>Wraith at bay.
>>- -50% Target Defense
>>I'm not sure if this works with kick attacks. If it does, it makes AR
>>management a lot easier.
>>- Adds 150-210 Fire Damage and 130-180 Cold Damage
>>With 5 hits per second, thats equals about 1.6k elemental damage per
>>second. Cool.
>>- 7% Life Stolen Per Hit
>>Works with Dragon Talon and helps a lot.
>>- +200-250 Defense Vs. Missile (varies), +10 To Dexterity, 75% Extra
>>Gold From Monsters
>>All usefull modifiers.
>
> True enough. The 390 avg. elemental damage is close to
> the 455 avg. from a Demon's Arch but is still dominated
> by the 902 avg. elemental damage from a Gimmershred.

NoisyGirl is lvl 69 now, just one away from Gimmershred. I will try
that. But I will miss both Decrepify and Sanctuary, I'm sure.

> I also saved all my pennies to get a Lo to make Fortitude
> armor which adds 300% physical damage to kicks (much more
> than skill level part of DT itself, not to mention BF) and
> other useful mods.

Man you are rich ;). I gave up the hunt for a LO a while ago. Getting to
that OHM for Chaos took long enough ...

>>- Slain Monsters Rest In Peace
>>Oh no! No corpses left to blow up with Death Sentry!
>
> Yep, that's a big drawback.

But still, I like Lawbringer. It seems to be designed for Dragon Tail,
lacking any damage modifier, which makes this runeword useless for most
other builds.

Right now, I'm thinking about doing a Hell solo run again like in the
old 1.09 days, with the restriction of not allowing any change in
equipment (except weapon switch).

---
Hannes

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 22:04:53 +0200, Hannes Brunner wrote:

> Last2Know schrieb:
>> On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 18:23:31 +0200, Hannes Brunner wrote:
>>
>>>After reading several posts here about Assassins and especially Dragon
>>>Talon, I decided to start a char based mainly on this skill. Good going
>>>so far (a bit tedious for me though, using a single skill only),
>>
>> I also use ShadowMaster, Venom, BoS, CoS, MB, and DS regularly.
>> But I do blame Blizzard for making the relation between damage
>> skills and monster life such that most chars can only afford one
>> main type of attack.
>
> I do that too in the meantime. But in her younger days, it simply wasn't
> necessary.

Sure. The DT kicker wearing Sigon boots is definitely overpowered
in the first 3/4 of norm level. If one plays with a team, in
areas like the A2 tombs, the kicker with BoS can ofjust run.

>>>NoisyGirl made it through Nightmare without much trouble and is now old
>>>enough (lvl 60) to replace Blood Crescent (this weapon was made for a
>>>low level DT Assassin) with - Lawbringer.
>>
>> I actually love Skewer of Krinitz even more than Blood Crescent for
>> the low level kickers, but of course that depends on other gear.
>> IK gloves, belt, and (for a little while) boots are also nice
>> mid level gear for a kicker.
>
> Right from the start, I gave mine complete Cleglaws. Some resists, 35%
> CB, AR booster, knockback, slow and most important: mana leech. The
> requirements for the sword are a bit high though.

Cleglaws is nice for BF (deadly strike works there), though its not
too long before some nasty ethereal war hammer or battle hammer
gives better overall BF damage.
I consider the gloves to be a decent end game item with BF because
of the knockback and slow. DT itself already gives knockback,
and of course, the 30% block on the shield is not too desirable
for melee.

>>>Why Lawbringer? Lets check the stats:
>>>- 20% Chance To Cast Level 15 Decripify On Striking. Just gravy if you
>>>hit about 5 times a second. Almost every crowd gets immediatedly
>>>decrepified. Add a Holy Freeze merc and Cloak of Shadows and you almost
>>>never get hit.
>>>- Level 16 Sanctuary Aura When Equipped
>>>Oh it looks sooo nice. And +600% ed against Undeads help a lot if you
>>>have to treat the Oblivion Knights with Blade Fury (yes, it works with
>>>BF). Not to speak of the knockback, which keeps the nasty mana stealing
>>>Wraith at bay.
>>>- -50% Target Defense
>>>I'm not sure if this works with kick attacks. If it does, it makes AR
>>>management a lot easier.
>>>- Adds 150-210 Fire Damage and 130-180 Cold Damage
>>>With 5 hits per second, thats equals about 1.6k elemental damage per
>>>second. Cool.
>>>- 7% Life Stolen Per Hit
>>>Works with Dragon Talon and helps a lot.
>>>- +200-250 Defense Vs. Missile (varies), +10 To Dexterity, 75% Extra
>>>Gold From Monsters
>>>All usefull modifiers.
>>
>> True enough. The 390 avg. elemental damage is close to
>> the 455 avg. from a Demon's Arch but is still dominated
>> by the 902 avg. elemental damage from a Gimmershred.
>
> NoisyGirl is lvl 69 now, just one away from Gimmershred. I will try
> that. But I will miss both Decrepify and Sanctuary, I'm sure.
>
>> I also saved all my pennies to get a Lo to make Fortitude
>> armor which adds 300% physical damage to kicks (much more
>> than skill level part of DT itself, not to mention BF) and
>> other useful mods.
>
> Man you are rich ;). I gave up the hunt for a LO a while ago. Getting to
> that OHM for Chaos took long enough ...

All the high runes are not that expensive on USWSC these days
(Ist + 2UM last I checked).
I end up mainly playing solo late at night, after my kid goes
to sleep, so I mostly only play my untwinked chars in HC, SP,
or ladder resets. In fact though, my kicker hasn't died yet
to the best of my recollection (certainly not on hell level).

>>>- Slain Monsters Rest In Peace
>>>Oh no! No corpses left to blow up with Death Sentry!
>>
>> Yep, that's a big drawback.
>
> But still, I like Lawbringer. It seems to be designed for Dragon Tail,
> lacking any damage modifier, which makes this runeword useless for most
> other builds.

It's hard to figure Blizzard, but they probably thought of it as
a poor melee'rs solution to PIs and OKs.

> Right now, I'm thinking about doing a Hell solo run again like in the
> old 1.09 days, with the restriction of not allowing any change in
> equipment (except weapon switch).

My DT girl is actually the most twinked char I've ever played.
Gimmers, Fort, Upped Gores, Guillaumes, SS, SoE, low end Maras,
make it relatively easy to travel through hell 1.09 style.
I'm using a BA merc so I don't actually need to change gear
for using BF (not sure if that is what you meant above).

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 18:24:39 -0500, Last2Know wrote:

> Sure. The DT kicker wearing Sigon boots is definitely overpowered
> in the first 3/4 of norm level. If one plays with a team, in
> areas like the A2 tombs, the kicker with BoS can ofjust run.

Not sure what happened to my post above. Last phrase was meant
to be: "the kicker with BoS can often fight and kill faster
than other party members can run."

Hi,

Hannes Brunner <bruhan12@web.de> wrote in news:3d4jrnF6nbs9pU1
@individual.net:

> NoisyGirl made it through Nightmare without much trouble and is now old
> enough (lvl 60) to replace Blood Crescent (this weapon was made for a
> low level DT Assassin) with - Lawbringer.

well, my Assy is a level short of 60 and has LawBringer on weapon switch. I
just use it with Blade Fury to activate the Decrep, though. And I've only
very rarely seen a monster with immunities not broken by Decrep..

Main weapon currently is Obedience/Insight thresher's, on swap with her
might merc. Insight gives me unlimited mana and also is a lot cheaper to
repair than Obedience.

> Why Lawbringer? Lets check the stats:
> - 20% Chance To Cast Level 15 Decripify On Striking. Just gravy if you
> hit about 5 times a second. Almost every crowd gets immediatedly
> decrepified. Add a Holy Freeze merc and Cloak of Shadows and you almost
> never get hit.

You don't need a Holy Sneeze guy with a high level CoS. One point in Mind
Blast is a good replacement for HF.

> While questing through Act 3 NM, I got so bored in having to target
> every single critter that I invested my saved up skill points (around 25
> at that time) straight into Death Sentry. So either I have wasted these
> skill points or I have to look for a different weapon.

And I already wonder if my 5 points in DS already are too much.

But a question, though. Does Dragon Talon reduce Durability of your weapon?
As it is a kicking attack, it should only reduce your boots durability? So
you could use an ethereal weapon for BF and DT?

Regards,

Oliver

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 22:55:53 +0200, Oliver Wenzel wrote:

> Does Dragon Talon reduce Durability of your weapon?

No.

> As it is a kicking attack, it should only reduce your boots durability?

The boot durability goes down, but I'm not clear if it is from
kicking or from monster damage. It goes down very slowly, not
like a regular weapon.

>So
> you could use an ethereal weapon for BF and DT?

Yes, ethereal weapon is preferred for BF and not
harmful for DT (may even help with lower requirements).

Last2Know schrieb:

<snip>

>>Right now, I'm thinking about doing a Hell solo run again like in the
>>old 1.09 days, with the restriction of not allowing any change in
>>equipment (except weapon switch).
>
> My DT girl is actually the most twinked char I've ever played.
> Gimmers, Fort, Upped Gores, Guillaumes, SS, SoE, low end Maras,
> make it relatively easy to travel through hell 1.09 style.
> I'm using a BA merc so I don't actually need to change gear
> for using BF (not sure if that is what you meant above).

In 1.09, I tried to bring a few HC chars through Hell solo. To make it
harder beside choosing weird builds, I added further restrictions. One
was not to allow any change in gear. So I had to decide for my equipment
before entering Hell. If you add the rule that you have to kill every
nasty boss found on the way, that gear restrictions starts to make
sense. For example, when I played the melee sorc, I had to be aware of
the famous MSLEBs, which made wearing a Thundergods Vigor a must.

BTW the stories are still online and can be found here:
www.hannes-brunner.de/d2
I might open a 1.10 section their soon :).

---
Hannes

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 11:54:53 +0200, Hannes Brunner wrote:

> In 1.09, I tried to bring a few HC chars through Hell solo. To make it
> harder beside choosing weird builds, I added further restrictions. One
> was not to allow any change in gear. So I had to decide for my equipment
> before entering Hell. If you add the rule that you have to kill every
> nasty boss found on the way, that gear restrictions starts to make
> sense. For example, when I played the melee sorc, I had to be aware of
> the famous MSLEBs, which made wearing a Thundergods Vigor a must.
>
> BTW the stories are still online and can be found here:
> www.hannes-brunner.de/d2
> I might open a 1.10 section their soon :).

Interesting! Some of your "further restrictions" (e.g.
below lvl 50 or no vitality points) present much more of a
challenge than no gear changes. :)

Hi,

"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@hooya.co.nz> wrote in

> Hannes Brunner wrote:
>>
>> But still, I like Lawbringer. It seems to be designed for Dragon
>> Tail, lacking any damage modifier, which makes this runeword useless
>> for most other builds.
>
> Except it's cheap enough to use as a switch weapon for the decrep,
> particularly for use against PIs. Switch, hit until decrep kicks in,
> switch back and hit like hell. Rinse and repeat if needed.

I'm doing this right now. Now if I had an ethereal thresher, I'd put
Insight in it and use as main weapon. No mana problems, high damage and
easy to replace rune-wise.

Regards,

Oliver

In article <d4lp90$63e$01$1@news.t-online.com>,
Oliver Wenzel <ouuch@t-online.de> wrote:

[snip]

>I'm doing this right now. Now if I had an ethereal thresher, I'd put
>Insight in it and use as main weapon. No mana problems, high damage and
>easy to replace rune-wise.

So what are you going to do when the durability on this thresher runs out?

As far as I know, unsocketing it, and then resocketing it with Insight,
doesn't replenish the durability.

Also, ethereal 4 socket Threshers trade for about Um - Mal+Um (not sure
about the exact price) on B.Net. So that's quite an expensive weapon you
have there...?

Regards,

Patrick.

"Patrick Vervoorn" <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote in
message news:489e2$426e6cd0$82a1d3bf$18744@news1.tudelft.nl...
> In article <d4lp90$63e$01$1@news.t-online.com>,
> Oliver Wenzel <ouuch@t-online.de> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> >I'm doing this right now. Now if I had an ethereal thresher, I'd put
> >Insight in it and use as main weapon. No mana problems, high damage and
> >easy to replace rune-wise.
>
> So what are you going to do when the durability on this thresher runs out?

> >easy to replace rune-wise.

I assume he'd just make another :)

short

Hi,

Patrick Vervoorn <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote in

> In article <d4lp90$63e$01$1@news.t-online.com>,
> Oliver Wenzel <ouuch@t-online.de> wrote:
>
>>I'm doing this right now. Now if I had an ethereal thresher, I'd put
>>Insight in it and use as main weapon. No mana problems, high damage
>>and easy to replace rune-wise.
>
> So what are you going to do when the durability on this thresher runs
> out?
>
> As far as I know, unsocketing it, and then resocketing it with
> Insight, doesn't replenish the durability.
>
> Also, ethereal 4 socket Threshers trade for about Um - Mal+Um (not
> sure about the exact price) on B.Net. So that's quite an expensive
> weapon you have there...?

well, I don't have an ethereal Thresher yet. But I'll see how long my
normal Thresher lasts.. And if it holds long enough to find a replacement
ethereal Tresher (or two), I'll just plug in a new set of runes...
Kicking and Blade Fury shouldn't wear out Durability, so I guess it'll
last quite some time.

Regards,

Oliver

In article <426e7da8$1_1@127.0.0.1>, short <shorts@zoominternet.net> wrote:

>"Patrick Vervoorn" <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote in
>message news:489e2$426e6cd0$82a1d3bf$18744@news1.tudelft.nl...
>> In article <d4lp90$63e$01$1@news.t-online.com>,
>> Oliver Wenzel <ouuch@t-online.de> wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> >I'm doing this right now. Now if I had an ethereal thresher, I'd put
>> >Insight in it and use as main weapon. No mana problems, high damage and
>> >easy to replace rune-wise.
>>
>> So what are you going to do when the durability on this thresher runs out?
>
>> >easy to replace rune-wise.
>
>I assume he'd just make another :)

Well, yes, but the runes are not the problem, the availability of 5
socketed ethereal threshers is' the regular price for a plain one seems to
be about Um, and that's going to be a tad expensive to replace if you just
plain whack monsters with that ethereal Thresher.

However, as Oliver already answered, he's going to use this ethereal
Thresher on an assassin, with skills which do not affect the durability of
his weapon, so it should last quite some time.

Once it has reached 1 durability, it's time to move it to a merc
somewhere. ;)

Regards,

Patrick.

Latest posts