Runner Error/Windows XP

For the last 3-4 days, everytime I turn the computer on I am getting the
followng: a long, rectangular box with the words "Runner Error" in the upper
left corner, with the following statement "Could not load the target dll
(C:\Program Files\Back Web\BackWeb Client\6.2.3.66\Program\BackWeb.dll",
error code 126). I have McAfee Security Suite installed, but Firewall is
disabled because I am using the built in firewall. I have tried going thru
the My Computer route and get as far the \Program\ folder with no success. I
can't find anything about an error code 126.
--
His Servant

Hi,

The general thought on this is to get rid of BackWeb! Some consider it
spyware I don't really know it myself.

If you don't use (or don't know you use!) BackWeb then remove it - otherwise
the error will persist, sorry.

I hope this helps.

Let us know how you get on.

Jason

"Mac Man" wrote:

> For the last 3-4 days, everytime I turn the computer on I am getting the
> followng: a long, rectangular box with the words "Runner Error" in the upper
> left corner, with the following statement "Could not load the target dll
> (C:\Program Files\Back Web\BackWeb Client\6.2.3.66\Program\BackWeb.dll",
> error code 126). I have McAfee Security Suite installed, but Firewall is
> disabled because I am using the built in firewall. I have tried going thru
> the My Computer route and get as far the \Program\ folder with no success. I
> can't find anything about an error code 126.
> --
> His Servant

One thing I've done is that in my McAfee Security Suite, Priv Svc, Security
Settings I have Blocked both BackWeb-137903 and RealNetworks Event Launcher.
Within Add/Remove Programs Backweb is not listed; of course then my comments
about My Computer apply. When I do get to the end of the string I wind up
with some folders, or whatever (you can tell I'm still a neophyte) and I am
very hesitant on deleting anything on the premise I might ret ride of
something important.
any other suggestions?

"Jason G" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The general thought on this is to get rid of BackWeb! Some consider it
> spyware I don't really know it myself.
>
> If you don't use (or don't know you use!) BackWeb then remove it - otherwise
> the error will persist, sorry.
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> Let us know how you get on.
>
> Jason
>

> "Mac Man" wrote:
>
> > For the last 3-4 days, everytime I turn the computer on I am getting the
> > followng: a long, rectangular box with the words "Runner Error" in the upper
> > left corner, with the following statement "Could not load the target dll
> > (C:\Program Files\Back Web\BackWeb Client\6.2.3.66\Program\BackWeb.dll",
> > error code 126). I have McAfee Security Suite installed, but Firewall is
> > disabled because I am using the built in firewall. I have tried going thru
> > the My Computer route and get as far the \Program\ folder with no success. I
> > can't find anything about an error code 126.
> > --
> > His Servant

Hi again,

I can certainly back up some of what Shehan said (quite a comprehensive
post!) and I would suggest that LavaSoft's Adaware is probably as good a
Spy/Adware remover as many - Shehan provided a link to the German site so
heres the US version:

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

Its a good idea to read through any instructions that they provide - and run
the software once, let it do its thing (make sure that you select all that it
recommends you 'remove') and then restart and do it all again. Don't be too
alarmed if it finds 100s of items as most will proably just be cookies.

Good luck & keep us posted!

Jason

Mac Man wrote:
> This is actually a response to Jason and Shenan. My big concern,
> since my knowledge is still so limited, is whether or not multiple
> spyware scanning programs will create problems for me in the running
> of different programs--i.e., Outloot Express and getting connected to
> the Internet. As an example, the McAfee Personal Firewall Plus
> caused the POP3 Server listing under Properties/Acct's/Tools to
> continually change to an IP address whenever I "Turned Off" or
> "Restarted". At the direction of my local ISP, I disabled the
> McAfee Firewall, ensuring that the built-in firewall was enabled, and
> I haven't had the same problem since. I also experienced the same
> problem when I first began to use the computer and Norton was the
> scanning program. You can understand why my hesitancy. I can
> appreciate Shenan's comments; maybe one or the other of you can shed
> some light on the "why" of what I just related to you. Thanx for
> your help.

The spyware programs I listed are only ran when YOU want them to. They do
not run int the background and are used by me in a business as well as
personal environment. The immunizations *may* cause one or two web sites
you have to stop working, but you can simply go into your IE settings and
remove their "ban" from there personally, if that happens. I have only had
ONE incident in a few thousand machines. (Meaning one person who used one
web page out of the thousands blocked.) The should not, in any way,
interfere with your normal use of the computer - but will prevent you from
getting some nasty slow-downs and problems.

As for why McAffee would cause such an issue - I do not know - that one
sounds a little strange. Did you have both the ICF/Windows Firewall and
McAffee's going at the same time? I've had so few problems with Norton, AVG
and Avast! that I cannot even think of one right now. But I do know you
should not run more than one firewall at a time and Windows P's firewall is
better for most people because they just don't want to be bothered every
time their computer tries to get out on the internet.

--
<- Shenan ->