Question Running 2 dual channel kits on a dual channel motherboard

Jun 11, 2019
Planning of building a PC with an Asrock B450 Pro motherboard. It has 4 DIMM slots and is rated for dual channel memory. I wanna start out with 8gb of dual channel ram, but plan to upgrade to 16gb of ram in the future. Can i add the exact dual channel ram kit as the first one and fill out the remaining DIMM slots? Im not expecting quad channel speeds, im just wondering if there will be any compatibility issues or if the second ram kit wont even be detected at all.

Thanks in advance y'all

This has literally been asked here THOUSANDS of times. Yes, you can, but there are NO guarantees that two different kits won't have one or two sticks that don't want to play nice with the others. The reason why you want to do it is understandable. The fact that it could turn out in you pulling your hair out doesn't change though. :)

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/amd-ram-compatibility.3210050/#post-19785792

Last edited:
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
ryzen seems to be more particular about ram than Intel.

If you do buy more disparate sticks, they should be the same speed, voltage and cas numbers.
Even then your chances of working are less than 100%

What is your plan "B" if the new stick/s do not work?

Ram is cheap enough these days, I suggest buying your 2 x 8gb kit up front.

If you buy 8gb now and later want 16gb, my suggestion is to buy a 2 x 8gb kit that matches your current specs.
Then, try adding in your old 8gb,
If it works, good; you now have extra ram.
If not, sell the old ram or keep it as a spare.