[SOLVED] Running 4x8gb Corsair Vengeance in DOCP issues

clkd

Honorable
Nov 21, 2015
Hi, I have Asus ROG Strix e-gaming MBO with AMD 5900x and 4x8gb Corsair 3600 CL18 memory (2x cmw16gx4m2z3600c18). I know it is 2 kits but seems to be same die (Can't remember manufacturer but it is not micron or Samsung. It is A-die something). When I turn on DOCP profile in bios (1.35V 18-22-22-42) Windows boots but I get BSOD. Increasing Volatage to 1.4V seems more stable but I get a lot of errors on memtest test #8. Setting voltage to 1.465V with DOCP profile enabled and everything else on Auto seems to be the sweetspot, passing test #8 4 times without errors. I will leave it tonight running a full memtest test with 8 passes.to ensure it is error free.
Now for the question - is it ok to leave it on 1.465V for my configuration 24/7?
Also, can someone suggest a better way to adjust the bios settings to achieve 3600 speed? For example i managed to get 3533 speed with 1.4 or 1.45 (not sure anymore). Is this better or worse than 3600 @ 1.456V?
I dont have much experience tweaking RAM, since I always had default memory settings before building this new rig.
Appreciate the input!

Solution
Thank you for your detailed reply,

I have followed your steps, however, the calculator gives a Not supported error if I select anything other than Samsung Bdie. My memory is Nunya. I tried entering the values calculated for Samsung Bdie but memtest gave thousands of errors. FYI all 4 sticks of RAM show same info in Typhoon. Do you guys have any more ideas as to what I can try to do?
Import your HTML file to DRAM Calc, select Micron-A die then select Manual for PCB revision. Set 2 for ranks and 4 for dimms. Click calculate safe and it may give usable calculations. EDIT- I did the calculations myself based off what you had in the DRAM Calc screenshot. Dram Calculator won't go up to 3600 with Micron A-Die...
u coukd try cl20, that should give u stability at lower voltages
the thing about docp/xmp is that its tuned for one set of sticks, if u buy 2 separate sticks, docp/xmp will mostly not work
u can check this for some recommended ram settings

clkd

Honorable
Nov 21, 2015
u coukd try cl20, that should give u stability at lower voltages
the thing about docp/xmp is that its tuned for one set of sticks, if u buy 2 separate sticks, docp/xmp will mostly not work
u can check this for some recommended ram settings
I've already downloaded the calculator but my ram manufacturer is not in it so cannot calculate. The system seems to be runnimg well with current settings, I am just worried whether some damage will occur running this at higher voltage for the long run....

From what I read the safe limit is usually considered 1.450v but a few articles said 1.500v. Ultimately I don’t think there is a specific number, just what risk you are willing to accept.

Even mixing 2 kits of the same make and model are not guaranteed to work together, different kits like your are more likely to have issues. Also running 4 dimms is also more likely to have issues running RAM at higher speeds due the extra load on the memory controller. You are probably very lucky you have got it running as well as you have.

Take a look at the odd man out section of this https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...y-ram-and-xmp-profile-configurations.3398926/

I've already downloaded the calculator but my ram manufacturer is not in it so cannot calculate. The system seems to be runnimg well with current settings, I am just worried whether some damage will occur running this at higher voltage for the long run....
I did a quick calculaiton in DRAM Calc and the only A-Die chip supported with 4x8GB is Hynix AFR (A-Die) but only up to 3466.Although because you have Ryzen 5000, there is a small chance you might get a faster speed when DRAM Calc is updated to support Zen 3. You're unlikely notice a difference between 3466 and 3600, so I wouldn't worry about it. You should still get your module information though and to do that you will need to use Thaiphoon Burner 16.5 freeware to export the SPD info for import into DRAM Calc. http://www.softnology.biz/files.html

So basically you run Thaiphoon Burner as an admin, press the close button at the bottom of the product registration window, and then click the Read button to select one of the modules. If the modules show different values, you will need an export of both kits.

Next, click on the Report button, scroll to the bottom and click Show delays in nanoseconds.

Then click Export and select Complete HTML Report. Save it to the same folder as DRAM Calc to make it easy to find.

Open DRAM Calc and click Import XMP and select one of the report HTML files.

Zen 3 is not supported yet in DRAM Calc 1.7.3, you will need to just select Zen 2 and X570. Set ranks to 2, because 4x8GB is dual rank and make sure you select 4 DIMMs.

Click Safe to calculate and you will likely get something close to what I got. You can try using these values, but you are better off using your own module information imported.

KMC9l9j.png

clkd

Honorable
Nov 21, 2015

I have followed your steps, however, the calculator gives a Not supported error if I select anything other than Samsung Bdie. My memory is Nunya. I tried entering the values calculated for Samsung Bdie but memtest gave thousands of errors. FYI all 4 sticks of RAM show same info in Typhoon. Do you guys have any more ideas as to what I can try to do?

Screenshots of Typhoon and Ryzen calculator:
View: https://imgur.com/gDDqVlK

View: https://imgur.com/MYoHmWK

Import your HTML file to DRAM Calc, select Micron-A die then select Manual for PCB revision. Set 2 for ranks and 4 for dimms. Click calculate safe and it may give usable calculations. EDIT- I did the calculations myself based off what you had in the DRAM Calc screenshot. Dram Calculator won't go up to 3600 with Micron A-Die with 2x8 or 4x8, so there isn't much you can about that. Honestly, I would just return the ram and get some known Samsung B-die, because even the cheaper B-die on an A0 PCB is better than this. If you want to keep the ram you should try running the 3200 CL14 timings, because it will be a little faster than 3600 CL18.

EDIT 2 - If 3200 CL14 doesn't work, just try using 3200 CL16-18-18-18-36-56-448 1.35v or the timings for the 3466 CL16.

3466 CL16

NnyuvhY.png

3200 CL14

mcVE8E7.png

Last edited:
Solution

clkd

Honorable
Nov 21, 2015
Wow, thanks for doing all of this for me. The smart thing would be to return the RAM and get another one, however, my whole PC RGB is run through iCUE so I am stuck with Corsair RAM. The worst thing is, these say optimized for Ryzen on the box. :ROFLMAO:
So useless RGB lighting is, unfortunately, being put in front of common sense and good advice. Also, I bought the RAM online, and sending it back would result in a long time before getting a refund or replacement, meaning extra downtime and I barely survived waiting 3 monthss for my 3070...
I will try to play around with the settings a little bit more and maybe try and get CL14@3200 but to be honest, my PC seems to be running fine now with CL18 3600 @ 1.465V - temperatures at about 55C. Would there even be a measurable difference between the two?

Wow, thanks for doing all of this for me. The smart thing would be to return the RAM and get another one, however, my whole PC RGB is run through iCUE so I am stuck with Corsair RAM. The worst thing is, these say optimized for Ryzen on the box. :ROFLMAO:
So useless RGB lighting is, unfortunately, being put in front of common sense and good advice. Also, I bought the RAM online, and sending it back would result in a long time before getting a refund or replacement, meaning extra downtime and I barely survived waiting 3 monthss for my 3070...
I will try to play around with the settings a little bit more and maybe try and get CL14@3200 but to be honest, my PC seems to be running fine now with CL18 3600 @ 1.465V - temperatures at about 55C. Would there even be a measurable difference between the two?
I personally wouldn't run the kits at 1.46v for daily operation. I know I would barely notice a difference in performance between 3200 and 3600. I would use safer voltage like 1.35-1.4v, for stability and longevity over faster speed that doesn't really make the gamer run any better than about 5-10fps. If I'm already getting 120-140fps, 5-10fps wont really matter to me personally.

clkd

Honorable
Nov 21, 2015
I personally wouldn't run the kits at 1.46v for daily operation. I know I would barely notice a difference in performance between 3200 and 3600. I would use safer voltage like 1.35-1.4v, for stability and longevity over faster speed that doesn't really make the gamer run any better than about 5-10fps. If I'm already getting 120-140fps, 5-10fps wont really matter to me personally.
Once again, thank you for all the help. I have played around a bit and have managed to set it up using your 3200 CL14 settings with increased voltage @ 1.39V. I think this is pretty good and will leave it on these settings. Speed will be as fast, or even faster than 3600 CL18 with the voltage at a much safer level although the temperatures seem to be a bit higher than 3600 @ 1.465V but that might be the system fans running slower than before