Running 60Hz but can do 144Hz

Status
Not open for further replies.

veodi

Reputable
Mar 2, 2015
Hi guys,

So I have run into a problem, I built a new pc recently with a MSI Nvidia GTX970 GPU and my monitor is an AOC G2770P, I typed into the search on windows 8.1 didiag.exe which shows my computer components but also what my monitor is running at. I saw my monitor says it is running "current display mode: 1920 x 1080 (32bit) (60Hz)" I went on a search as I know my monitor does 144Hz at full HD (it was part of the reason me choosing the monitor as well as the 1ms response time) after a quick search I went to resolution from the desktop, advanced settings, monitor and tried to change my refresh rate to 144Hz, however there are no other options other than 60Hz and lower!
I messed around with the resolutions to see if this would allow a higher/lower rate but I couldn't get any higher than 60Hz at 1920x1080. I checked my drivers and my monitors driver is currently at 1.0.0.0 which I couldn't find a higher version (might be missing something here) and my GPU driver is up to date.
So I have to questions...
Why is my monitor running at 60Hz max when it can do more and is there a fix for this?
Also why does it say 32bit when I have a 64x computer?

p.s. I am using a HDMI cable

If you need more information please go ahead and ask, any help will be amazing. I know this is a bit nit picky but I want to get the most out of my monitor which I must say was fairly pricey and my computer.

Solution
Your Hdmi does not support 144hz, it only supports 60hz. For 144hz you need to use either a displayport cable or dual link dvi port. Hdmi 2.0 I believe will but I doubt you're using hdmi 2.0.

veodi

Reputable
Mar 2, 2015

Ah sir, I think you have answered my question with this statement!

May I pick your brain and ask if you know why you can't use HDMI to get 144Hz and what is the main difference between HDMI and DVI that enables this?

As for the 32bit, I did not realise it was for the colour I thought it was a representation of my computer spec but that has me less worried, is there such thing as 64bit colour and how do you get it?

veodi

Reputable
Mar 2, 2015

What would be the best way to tell my monitor and GPU would support HDMI2.0 and allow me to get 144Hz at 1080p?
I don't want to go out my way to get one if they don't support it, I haven't seen any information about them supporting it.
Sorry for the brain picking :p

I am sure your monitor does not.
http://www.pcgameware.co.uk/reviews/monitor-reviews/aoc-g2770pqu-27-144hz-gaming-monitor-review/
Specifics that 144hz is DVI/DP only.
So it's probably rocking hdmi 1.3 or 1.4

If the monitor or your video card had hdmi 2.0 it would probably be advertised as such.

Status
Not open for further replies.