[SOLVED] Running a 3930k with a 3070 ti: can overclock overcome bottleneck?

Sep 2, 2021
I game at 1080p on a 144hz monitor.

I have a 3060ti right now debating moving up to a 3070 ti. I know based on the limited data a stock 3930k will severly bottleneck a 3070 ti, but I wish there was some data on how bad it would be bottled with an overclocked processor. Right now I'm able to clock in around 4.3 gHZ and considering spending big on a aio cooler like an NZXT Z73 (unfortunately ML360 subzero isn't supported for LGA 2011 :() to hit the high 4s or even past 5 gHZ. I have a rampage iv extreme and 1200w asus cooler.

Not sure if this overclock would make much of a difference, especially considering pci 2.0 bus speeds. Unfortunately there doesn't seem like there's much reliable data out there. In about a year's time I plan on spending big on a flagship cpu/gpu whenever it comes out, but I don't mind spending some money now if the differences could be significant. More specifically, would an overclock between 4.7-5.3 gHZ reduce the bottlenecking on the 3070ti to the point that it will still be a significant difference compared to the 3060 ti?

Thanks!

Solution
The increase in performance will scale with the percentage increase in boost clock speed due to the overclock. I'll tell you right now that there is no way in hell you'll ever get your 3930k to overclock past 5.0 GHz, ain't going to happen.

The 3930k was released back in 2011, ten years ago, on the 32 nm process. Since then, Intel has had 8 different generations of CPUs and has migrated to the 22 nm process and then the 14 nm process and made numerous architectural improvements along the way which increase the IPC (instructions per clock) meaning that a 5.0 GHz CPU core from 2021 is significantly more powerful than a 5.0 GHz core from ten years ago.

In essence, you cannot overclock your way out of your CPU bottleneck, you need to...

EyyMunchian

Honorable
Dec 28, 2016

I have a 3060ti right now debating moving up to a 3070 ti. I know based on the limited data a stock 3930k will severly bottleneck a 3070 ti, but I wish there was some data on how bad it would be bottled with an overclocked processor. Right now I'm able to clock in around 4.3 gHZ and considering spending big on a aio cooler like an NZXT Z73 (unfortunately ML360 subzero isn't supported for LGA 2011 :() to hit the high 4s or even past 5 gHZ. I have a rampage iv extreme and 1200w asus cooler.

Not sure if this overclock would make much of a difference, especially considering pci 2.0 bus speeds. Unfortunately there doesn't seem like there's much reliable data out there. In about a year's time I plan on spending big on a flagship cpu/gpu whenever it comes out, but I don't mind spending some money now if the differences could be significant. More specifically, would an overclock between 4.7-5.3 gHZ reduce the bottlenecking on the 3070ti to the point that it will still be a significant difference compared to the 3060 ti?

Thanks!
The bottleneck would still be pretty bad even if you did overclock it. Sure itll reduce it, but on hardware that old and outdated, not by much. How much can you beat out of a dead horse essentially? Overclocking a CPU doesn't give it significant performance enhancements. Just some small additional power. The smart move would be to get a cpu that on par with a 3060/3070. It'll cost some money considering youll also need a board and new ram. But buying the 3070ti you will see minimal performance boost even with the overclocked CPU. An overclock of 5.3GHZ would kill that CPU as well.

The increase in performance will scale with the percentage increase in boost clock speed due to the overclock. I'll tell you right now that there is no way in hell you'll ever get your 3930k to overclock past 5.0 GHz, ain't going to happen.

The 3930k was released back in 2011, ten years ago, on the 32 nm process. Since then, Intel has had 8 different generations of CPUs and has migrated to the 22 nm process and then the 14 nm process and made numerous architectural improvements along the way which increase the IPC (instructions per clock) meaning that a 5.0 GHz CPU core from 2021 is significantly more powerful than a 5.0 GHz core from ten years ago.

In essence, you cannot overclock your way out of your CPU bottleneck, you need to upgrade.

The best 'value' gaming build currently available is a i5-11400 paired with a B560 motherboard and 2 sticks of 8 GB DDR4 RAM. The increase in RAM speed and hugely improved IPC of the CPU (which boosts all the way to 4.4 GHz despite not being overclockable) will make a big difference. Price tag: $300-$400

If you want the best performance and don't mind spending more, a Ryzen 5800x combined with a X570 motherboard and 2 sticks of 8 GB DDR4 RAM running at 3600 MHz is what you'll want. $500+

Solution
ivy bridge is 22nm
2400Mhz RAM would help, but frankly that system is really EOL where getting more frames is concerned without it. Even then I'm pretty sure you would be better off getting a newer setup
Overclock as much as you can but eventually you'll need faster ram to get more frames.

So basically faster ram is the only step you can take when overclocking won't get you any further.

Pretty much all ddr3 1600 will hit at least 1866 so thats worth a lil effort.

3060ti is already too much for ol ivy bridge to handle, so unless you are gaming at 4K there isn't much use in a 3070ti upgrade.

Last edited:

johnsoner13

Respectable

Thanks!
If you have $300 to spend on a flashy overkill AIO, use that towards a new CPU/mobo/RAM

Reactions: Hellfire13