Running a bit hot

TheG0at

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Hi,

Ok so I took my comp apart to install the 960 Evo and while I had it open I cleaned the dust from my radiator and fans but when I put everything back together it started overheating. At idle I was in the range of 45-50c at stock clock, before I added the M.2 I was idling at 27-30c at 4.5ghz. I thought maybe I accidentally hit the tubes from the water cooler and messed up the paste from the block so I cleaned the paste off and added some new paste but the only paste I could get w/o having to order it was some stuff from Best Buy called TG-7.

So now I'm oc'd to 4.6ghz and I'm idling in the range of 35-40c which still seems a little hot compared to what i had it at before. My pump rpm is about 3150-3200 and my fans are at 2800

Am I ok or is this hot? Any ideas or comments are appreciated.

Kunra Zether

Reputable
Jun 25, 2016
My 6500 idles at 28c stock without oc through blck. Since you replaced the paste and it reduced your ideal temps I'm going to say that maybe that particular paste may have a curing time. M.2 can run warm on its own is it on the back of the Mobo where it's not getting air flow and possibly heating the cpu through the Mobo although I would feel this would be unlikely. What did it use to idle at before? Usually it's best to see how well a liquid CPU cooler is working when it's at load rather then idle aswell. What was the ambient room temperature before and after that can also have an affect. Do you plug your CPU pump into the CPU fan header if so you need to make sure it's not set to variable speeds and is at max in the bios so it's not causing the pump speed to fluctuate you want that to be at a constant. Also check your fan profiles for you radiator and did you possibly change the direction that they were flowing is exhaust to intake or vice versa.

TheG0at

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012

The M.2 drive is near the bottom of the mobo under the bottom gfx card.
My cpu used to idle at 27-30c oc'd to 4.5. Yesterday after I replaced the thermal paste I did a stress test and my temps at 100% load were 80-85c and playing Arma 3 King of the Hill it was 60-65c.
My water pump is plugged into the water pump header and it's at 100% all the time.

After I submitted this thread I tried to start up Battlefield 1 and the music started to hang and lag and my monitor froze it wouldn't turn off I had to unplug it, when I plugged it back in my screen was back on my BF was frozen and when I tried to end it in task manager my screen went black only thing I could do was restart the computer but I restarted my screen was on but black so I restarted it again this time it posted but when Windows was loading in my mouse was super laggy and the windows music was hanging and lagging but eventually that all went away and here I am.

When I first put my system back together after installing the M.2 it was over heating pretty bad infact at one point I couldn't even get my comp to post it just kept reseting and when it did post it said cpu overheating error press f1 to enter setup, so I would and it would just go to a black screen and I had to Clr-Cmos just to be able to get back to my bios. I have a scary feeling that through the over heating i messed up my cpu.

Kunra Zether

Reputable
Jun 25, 2016
Unless you actually removed the CPU I don't think you could have damaged it. Possibly to much thermal paste. But I think the problem lyes in the m.2 it's the only change and the system worked fine before it was installed correct? So what I would do is make sure that you have the latest bios installed for your motherboard and make sure the drivers for the m.2 are up-to-date. Next alot of motherboard lose function of some ports when the m.2 is in use. Could be pcie lanes or SATA Express ports and sometimes​ SATA ports aswell so you wanna make sure your not using any of thoughs. If all else fails try removing the m.2 and see if everything returns to normal if it does then you know at least that the underlying cause is the m.2. my Mobo has the option to use m.2 but I've read that alot of people are running into issues like yours or not being able to boot their PC's . So I'm waiting until the technology matures myself. This is about the extent of what I could come up with I'm sorry if it doesn't help much.