Running a Nvidia Quadro with my GTX 970

SirRadget

Honorable
May 4, 2014
Hey all, I do a lot of video rendering through Sony Vegas 13 and a few other programs.
Though most of these programs don't recognize my GTX 970 because they're not supported quite yet, and Sony will probably take another 5+ years to make it so.

Anyways, rendering videos takes forever for me since it renders through my processor.
Which is an Intel I5 4570 @ 3.8Ghz, and no I don't plan on upgrading it.

Here's what I want to know.
I was thinking on buying a Nvidia Quadro, maybe a Nvidia Quadro 5000.
I want to use my GTX 970 purely just for gaming, nothing else. Though I would like to know if I could put the Quadro in and have the just for rendering.(I know some programs like Sony Vegas have an option to select a certain GPU for rendering).

Is this possible to do?

PC Specs:
Asus Z87-A motherboard
Intel I5 4570 CPU
GTX 970 GPU
16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Ram
750watt thermaltake toughpower 80+ Gold PSU

Solution
You can use both graphics cards in the same system. If you only have one monitor, then connecting it to the gaming card will let all games use it. I would think that the compute tasks should be able to select the Quadro card even if it isn't the primary card in the system.
You can use both graphics cards in the same system. If you only have one monitor, then connecting it to the gaming card will let all games use it. I would think that the compute tasks should be able to select the Quadro card even if it isn't the primary card in the system.

Solution
Being plugged into the gpu doesn't mean they will use the gpu. In windows the gpu connected to the primary monitor will be used. This is how I switch with different gpus is by switching which monitor is primary and have different gpus connected to each. The game can run on another monitor connected to a different gpu and it will always use the primary monitor's gpu for any work being done. All work is done on the primary gpu regardless of monitor connection unless the software can choose gpu or supports multi gpu. The other gpu is used as a pass through but full screen games only go to the primary monitor so you can only open it in windowed on another monitor.

If the monitors are only plugged into the 970, then there should never be a need to switch between things because the primary display is always on the GTX 970. Therefor, all fullscreen games (IE how almost everyone plays almost all games) will run on the 970 without any tweaking. Windowed mode should also still be the 970 by default even if you can force the game to use the Quadro. I was just keeping things simple xD