Running a small server?

Jul 10, 2018
Ok, I have just set up an old computer as a dedicated server, and my brother is making a stink about the fact that it is slowing down his network. Is it actually slowing down his network? He is using WiFi, while the server is connected through Ethernet to the router.

Thank you-

Edit: sorry I forgot to make this clear, but the server is a small Minecraft server that only me and 2 other friends are using. It shouldn't put a huge load on our bandwith, should it?

Solution
OK, here's an easy test to confirm if the Minecraft server is slowing the connection.

With the network running as it normally does, run a few speed tests from different websites from a device that's wired to the router. Do the same from a device connected to WiFi. If the wired device gets close to the download and upload speed you pay for then the issue clearly isn't due to bandwidth.

I wouldn't be surprised if WiFi was the problem. Very rarely do you get the same speed from wireless as you do from wired.
Jul 10, 2018

Ok so a big part of this is I don't think that there is an actual decrease in network speed, I believe that my family just thinks that there is. I know that I have a Netgear router, but I am not physically there right now, so I can't give any specifics besides the fact that we have around a 200mbps allowance, sorry.

OK, here's an easy test to confirm if the Minecraft server is slowing the connection.

With the network running as it normally does, run a few speed tests from different websites from a device that's wired to the router. Do the same from a device connected to WiFi. If the wired device gets close to the download and upload speed you pay for then the issue clearly isn't due to bandwidth.

I wouldn't be surprised if WiFi was the problem. Very rarely do you get the same speed from wireless as you do from wired.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

Blind test for you and them.
Turn it on and off, and don't tell them which is when.

Can they tell an actual difference?