Question running a stress test software exited without stopping it made computer run hotter.

tHuser123

Reputable
Mar 22, 2017
hi i was running a videocard stress test software and you know how it makes the computer run hotter. well I had the software opened only for a few seconds and i exited the software without stopping it and my computer didnt cool back down? how to fix? my cpu and gpu was idle at 30c now they idle at 40c. and when i play some games they reach around 70c. i cant play some games becuase of overheating.

my specs are
i7 4770k 3.5 ghz
8gb ram
gtx 960 2gb
750w psu
windows 10 pro

Last edited:

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
What stress test? Go in task manager and make sure it isn't running anymore. Assuming you didn't install some sort of malware that's now hiding in the background, it won't be affecting your temps anymore.

How long did you run the test, and how long after you closed it did you looks at idle temps?

tHuser123

Reputable
Mar 22, 2017
What stress test? Go in task manager and make sure it isn't running anymore. Assuming you didn't install some sort of malware that's now hiding in the background, it won't be affecting your temps anymore.

How long did you run the test, and how long after you closed it did you looks at idle temps?

I was running a software called Video Card Stability Test from the website http://www.freestone-group.com/. its not on my pc right now as I did a reset and it also did not fix the problem. I only ran the stress test software for a couple of seconds before closing it without stopping it, which may have caused the problem. how to fix?

Last edited:

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Are your ambient temps the same? When did you last check that your idle temps were in the 30s? Were you doing the same thing on the PC prior to both times you checked the idle temps, i.e. was the computer idling for an extended period of time before you checked in both cases?

I'm guessing there's some other explanation for what you're seeing at that the test you ran isn't related.

tHuser123

Reputable
Mar 22, 2017
it occurred right after I exited the software without stopping it and I had it open only for a few seconds. and my computer stayed hot and didn't cool back down. before that the idle temps was 30c. now they at 40c with cpu an gpu. how to fix?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Is your room the same temp is was before? Have you since checked your temps after letting your computer idle (or just be turned off) for 10+ minutes?

Depending on your ambient temps, idle temps in the 40s aren't a problem. There probably isn't anything to fix here.

I think the 'overheating' may be coincidental to your stress test and not actually related. To be sure, confirm that software is fully uninstalled and also look thru your installed programs and see if any other software was installed along side that you can uninstall as well. You should also run Malwarebytes (free) to confirm you have no malware running, and finally reset the BIOS to confirm no settings were changed.

tHuser123

Reputable
Mar 22, 2017
Is your room the same temp is was before? Have you since checked your temps after letting your computer idle (or just be turned off) for 10+ minutes?

Depending on your ambient temps, idle temps in the 40s aren't a problem. There probably isn't anything to fix here.
i think my room temps was same as before. my temps used to be at 30c idle now they at 40c idle. when I try playing some games temps can reach 70c or more. when I let it idle temps stays at 40c.when wake from sleep temps will go back to 40c. i cant play games because of overheating. please help me fix. my idle temps use to be way cooler at 30c and not 40c and can spike up to 50c just opening a web page. yes there is something to fix as my computer got hotter.

tHuser123

Reputable
Mar 22, 2017
I think the 'overheating' may be coincidental to your stress test and not actually related. To be sure, confirm that software is fully uninstalled and also look thru your installed programs and see if any other software was installed along side that you can uninstall as well. You should also run Malwarebytes (free) to confirm you have no malware running, and finally reset the BIOS to confirm no settings were changed.
yes I reset my pc and the software isn't installed anymore. but reseting pc still didn't fix the problem. bios was also reset and that also didn't fix the problem. yes it was running the stress test software as I opened it for a few seconds and closed it without stopping it and my computer didn't cool back down and remained hot.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
i think my room temps was same as before. my temps used to be at 30c idle now they at 40c idle. when I try playing some games temps can reach 70c or more. when I let it idle temps stays at 40c.when wake from sleep temps will go back to 40c. i cant play games because of overheating. please help me fix. my idle temps use to be way cooler at 30c and not 40c and can spike up to 50c just opening a web page. yes there is something to fix as my computer got hotter.
70C under load is totally fine. What makes you think you're overheating? Having the temperature spike for a moment when you open your browser of load a page isn't really unusual either. Modern CPUs will typically ramp up their speed quickly to respond to sudden demand (like loading a new webpage) to accomplish the task as quickly as possible and then return to idle.

Could try doing a clean install of Windows rather than just a reset if you really want. And/or adjust your fan profiles.

This was asked before, what was the time period between you realizing the software was still running and you turned off your computer or stopped the software from running? Best to also try a cold boot. unplug your computer, press the start button for 5 seconds, wait 10 minutes, pull your graphics card the reinsert, then plug your computer back in and restart the computer.

Also check inside the case that all dust is removed, including the PSU intake , vents and fans.

Also asked, did you check the Task Manager to see if the program, even after the reset, is still running?

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS