Question Running a tablet's audio through computer's headphones. (using USB audio adapter)

zarquan314

Commendable
Oct 31, 2018
I want to use my tablet to watch videos while I play my fullscreen computer game. I want both sounds to come out of my headphones, but I don't want to deal with an external mixer because I am not necessarily near an outlet and I prefer a higher degree of portability. My solution is to buy a USB audio adapter with audio input, plug my tablet in to it with an aux cable, then set my computer to "Listen to device." I had an old one of these lying around, and it worked great (low latency and good sound quality). Unfortunately, the sound card I have and the ones I find on Amazon are either one channel microphone in or they don't say. I would rather not buy a bunch of sound cards to find one with 2 channel microphone/line in.

Are there any USB sound cards/adapters with 2 channel line in or microphone (with an aux cable)?

I don't know how to search for it because they all have 2 channel audio out, which gets caught in the search if I try to add 2 channel line in or stereo in to the search. If you do know of one or know how to find one, I would like to know what keywords you used.

If I am approaching this problem incorrectly, I would also like to know, but I think this is the simplest solution. I hear basic audio mergers can damage my ports.

(Here are some other ideas I've tried and have rejected)
I got Splashtop Wired xDisplay to use the tablet as a second monitor, but it has annoying latency issues (~500 ms) as well as framerate and occasional image quality issues which annoyed me. (Still a great app if you need a portable monitor)
I tried using a Linux virtual machine as a bluetooth speaker inside my computer. Unfortunately, it had wildly inconsistent latency (as low as 500 ms and as high as 2000 ms), but good sound quality. Also consumed a lot of computer resources and reduced game performance.
I tried using my built in microphone port, but it seems it is forcing "audio enhancements" that wreck the audio quality to single out voices that I can't disable in the Sounds menus.

zarquan314

Commendable
Oct 31, 2018
See, now that I asked the question, I remembered I have a VHS capture device (that captures the RCA outputs of a VHS player). This means if I convert the AUX to RCA and then run the RCA in to the capture device, I can get what I want. I now have a solution set up, but this is kind of bulky, and I would prefer a solution that does not have 3 different lengths of rather beefy cord right next to me that makes me feel like a miniature spaghetti monster. Plus, I would prefer to not to use the capture device for this, as I don't want to damage it over time by using it regularly.

But now that I thought of the key phrase "Capture Device," I was able to find a device.

If anyone else is coming here trying to find a solution and you don't mind the cables, you can look up RCA to USB Capture Device. I personally am using the one in the link below, but I don't need the video input component.

https://www.amazon.com/August-VGB100-External-Composite-Transfer/dp/B008F0SARC/ref=sr_1_3?crid=318VVJ62MOK27&keywords=august+capture+card&qid=1551854569&s=gateway&sprefix=august+capture+,aps,206&sr=8-3

If you want a simpler device, the next link has a headphone cable that can be used. I haven't tried it, but is has good ratings.

https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Audio-Capture-Windows-10-11/dp/B019T9KS04/ref=sr_1_7?crid=2YAYDBDAQ7ZFQ&keywords=rca+to+usb+capture+card&qid=1551855046&s=gateway&sprefix=rca+to+usb+Capture+,aps,202&sr=8-7

Last edited: