Question Running a Virtual Soundcard on a Virtual Machine

Jun 17, 2021
Hi all, first post - wondering if you can help.

I need to set up a virtual soundcard on a virtual machine (in hyperV) and send the audio thru our network via Cat5.

We have looked at DanteVS and a Neutrik box, but Dante want a MINIMUM OF 200 on the Virtual Machine version...!

Does anyone have a similar solution that could work? Thanks in advance.

Jun 17, 2021
Thanks for your replies :)

Is a real sound card not an option?

Not on a VM, no. We have an incoming audio stream (3.5mm jack) which needs to go into a box which can then be connected to our network. The Virtual Soundcard software (running on Server2016) needs to pick this up from the network, will be compressed/whatever they do to it on the software, and then will broadcast it from the server to a streaming site. I appreciate the explanation might not give a clear idea of what we need :/

Qemu and Dosbox would do the virtualisation I think, just not sure how they'd work with the hardware we'd need. Hoping for a solution that comes as a pair, like Dante VS - which would do this (with a Neutrik box) but that's a no go for now due to their licensing policy.

It's possible with HyperV we just need some software with a physical box that connects to the network.

So the 3.5 jack lives in a different space and the VM has to pick up the signal as an audio signal?! Why?! Do you need that specialized of an editing on that source?
Does the audio tool you want to use only take input from a sound card?
Why can't you just take the stream of the audio and edit that instead of the real audio input?!

TRENDING THREADS