[SOLVED] Running additional GPU

kylett

Commendable
Nov 12, 2018
I am currently running a geforce windforce 2070 and I was looking at getting a 2nd GPU. I can get a 3070 or 3080 for pretty much the same price as 2070 so it doesnt seem worth it to buy another 2070. From what I have been reading I won't be able to run 2 different GPU's in SLI and will need to run them independently. Which would be a better to just get another 2070 or go a better card and run them independently, I mostly game and do things on my second monitor, ie twitch streams or youtube and discord. I also do a little bit of crypto mining which i would benefit from getting a second GPU.

Solution
I am currently running a geforce windforce 2070 and I was looking at getting a 2nd GPU. I can get a 3070 or 3080 for pretty much the same price as 2070 so it doesnt seem worth it to buy another 2070. From what I have been reading I won't be able to run 2 different GPU's in SLI and will need to run them independently. Which would be a better to just get another 2070 or go a better card and run them independently, I mostly game and do things on my second monitor, ie twitch streams or youtube and discord. I also do a little bit of crypto mining which i would benefit from getting a second GPU.

SLI/Crossfire is basically dead in 2021 anyway. It's not worth considering in any case when talking about gaming. Things like monitoring...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

SLI/Crossfire is basically dead in 2021 anyway. It's not worth considering in any case when talking about gaming. Things like monitoring streams and discord don't really get any benefit from a second GPU as opposed to simply driving a second monitor. These things take practically nothing to run. There's a reason you can monitor streams and discord on an Intel HD 2000.

You may get a benefit in cryptomining, but that's your risk to decide on. Lots of people jumped on the bandwagon in 2017/2018, calculating their return on investment by simply taking their initial profitability and multiplying it by time, which is exactly how amateur investors lose their money in a wide range of fields.

Reactions: oovuvwevwe
Solution