Running CAT 6 in 1951 Home

gx12305

Reputable
Jan 19, 2016
Recently I’ve been wanting to run CAT 6 cable in some parts of my 1951 house. I DO NOT want to use power line adapters or coax adapters.
The previous owner already had holes drilled behind my modem for their speaker cable, Ethernet does fit through that hole. I was thinking for my first basement jack I would run it to my location and use a surface jack?
Another location that is more difficult is my bedroom on the 3rd floor. There is already some type of data low voltage hole cut out there, with a tiny hole in the faceplate. I opened that up to find a bunch of coax in there. I believe that this is the same wall that my modem is on. With making 1 hole would it be possible to fish the wire down and cut a box where it is?
Other rooms also have coax. Would it be possible to run the Ethernet down the coax jack to the basement where another switch would be?
I’m new to this so any help would be awesome!
Thanks

It's always possible to run cable, it's just a matter of how much work you have to do to run it. I'm planning to wire my house with CAT6A this winter. Most of the rooms should be relatively easy. You'll have to resolve to cut holes in your walls somewhere or accept that you'll have to run and hide the cables on the walls. They have some products that will make that easier. There is an episode of "Ask This Old House" where they install cable tracks disguised as crown molding. Youtube is a pretty good resource for learning the best way to run cables. Matt Risinger has a good video on his channel, I've been watching a lot of his stuff lately.

They do make a coax to ethernet adapter but it's pretty expensive and performs about the same as powerline, I asked the same thing since my house it wired for cable but I don't have cable service any more.

I am in the middle of doing this myself in my 1935 home, the biggest obstacle I have found in wiring the rooms, are structural issues

1. studs are not at a defined standard
2. a lot of walls have top stud closing wall off entirely
3. behind the sheetrock discovered the renovation done where done over the plaster of paris which is applied to old style lattice wood walls..
4. electrical wiring not at all where they should be running through walls (be careful drilling holes in wall)

so a lot of drilling is involved, and get yourself a "glow rod " it make thing simpler from hole in wall assuming at location where you want the ethernet wired, you push the rod up or down from hole at top of attic and the attach wire to it with electrical tape and pull it down or up as you need...
it saves TONS of time.

you can use pre done wiring just the plates you have on the wall will need the female/female adaptor
or you can buy wire by bulk and punch each wall plug yourself, personally this is not the option I opted for. why? because I am lazy.

here is a perfect example to how to and tools used : https://www.familyhandyman.com/electrical/wiring/fishing-electrical-wire-through-walls/view-all/

In-wall boxes or surface-mount don't matter the least, is just "finishing." Do what is aesthetically acceptable to you. Members already posted good info. Going to take some work, willing to drill, re-patch, probably need fishing tools, follow that excellent link and yes, spent quality time with youtube. Result will be worth it, no more dealing with WIFI limitations, and will reduce our daily posts of "I want modem in my room" by 0.0001% :D

My only advice is, no sharp bents, if u have to use any muscle to pull the cable, stop, u gotta do it another way.