[SOLVED] Running Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM with Ryzen 5 2600

Feb 12, 2020
I have a machine running:

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX / 3000MHz / 15-17-17-35 / CMK16GX4M2B3000C15

Machine runs fine until I start playing a game. I load up Division 2 and it plays for a short time, then BSOD crashes to IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

I have updated the BIOS to the newest version as their was an update involving RAM compatibility.
I have noticed that there is some problem in the BIOS settings with it reading the DRAM at the frequency intended.

Question: Should I replace the RAM in hopes of fixing this issue, or should I just run the RAM at a lower frequency? I'm kinda at a loss.

Solution
The Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM can be shipped to you with Samsung B-die or Hynix.

I have some experience with that RAM and none of the Hynix I tried overclocked over 2933MHz using XMP. You have to do it manually and test.

The Samsung B-die has no issues. The Hynix one is just giving issues all around.
Feb 12, 2020
Turn on XMP to 3000mhz. Run memtest x86.
See if ram passes or fails.

So last night I did testing with the A-XMP profiles. Both profile 1 and 2 are not allowing me to run at 3000MHz.
Profile 1 runs at 2800MHz and Profile 2 at 29XXMHz. On both profiles, it showed the correct timings for the RAM installed, where as before it was set to Auto. I set it to run A-XMP Profile 1.
I also changed the DRAM frequency to match Profile 1 at 2800MHz.

I was able to run Division 2 for longer than I've been able to and the machine never crashed... It's just not running at 3000MHz.

I happened to notice on the Corsair website for RAM compatible with Ryzen that the specific C15 RAM I have is not listed. This will be the first time I have ever ran into this issue.

Doing the BIOS update didn't help with the BSOD, but it did help with allowing the A-XMP profile to run at a higher MHz than previously. I will continue testing and run that Memtest86 tonight.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2020
Well, I swapped over to A-XMP Profile 2 running at 2933MHz with the correct timing. Setting DRAM Frequency to match the 2933MHz.
About 5-10 minutes into the Division 2, the computer BSOD again. THIS time it was a Memory_Management error.

I am currently writing Memtest86 to a USB to hopefully get more information. I haven't continued with running Profile 2 at 2800MHz yet, so we will see.

Feb 12, 2020
Yeah, I think it's just cause the RAM was intended to run with an Intel CPU and the RAM I am using is unsupported by Ryzen due to the timing. I am running smooth at 2800MHz on Profile 1, but any higher and it loses it's mind. I'll b e mindful of that when purchasing RAM for a Ryzen build.

It won't run at 2933MHz. It just crashes again. The board is rated afor working with higher then 3000MHz. Problem is the RAM and CPU aren't perfect friends.

My old ram says Z270 compatible on the box and worked with all 3 Ryzen CPUs I have tried. It isn't even supposed to be supported by my board as it is not on the memory support list (QVL).

Ram can be touchy sometimes, however.

Look at your motherboards supported ram list (QVL) and try a kit from that list.

The Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM can be shipped to you with Samsung B-die or Hynix.

I have some experience with that RAM and none of the Hynix I tried overclocked over 2933MHz using XMP. You have to do it manually and test.

The Samsung B-die has no issues. The Hynix one is just giving issues all around.

Solution
Feb 12, 2020

I'll try this out and see.