running DDR4 memory at 3200MHZ with just XMP enabled

DukiNuki

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
hey guys

im about to grab G.SKILL 16GB (2 x 8GB) Ripjaws V Series DDR4 3200Mhz

and the motherboard is : MSI Z170A KRAIT GAMING

can i run the memories at 3200Mhz with XMP enabled and without overclocking any other part or manual memory overclock or overheating and damaging the memory sticks or the cpu it self ?

simply : how easy is it to run 3200MHZ memories on that board ? just by enabling XMP ?

Solution
That is what XMP is for. It should work, but if it doesn't post again and someone can walk you through setting it up manually, increasing the voltage to make it work, etc.

DukiNuki

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
i read XMP profiles are safe and are there to make your RAM run on the settings it came with . i'm gonna go with it and enable XMP hopping not to damage any part because im not sure if its 100% safe , i guess its safer than manual CPU OC. thanks alot :D

marcoshmc

Reputable
Dec 1, 2015

Eximo can you help me please? I have a problem, and found this thread while looking for a solution. I have the exact same board as his and the same ram except 2x4GB. I enabled xmp and everything was fine, was able to play games, run windows, all good. Then i got some strange errors while trying to install a couple of games. The installer stopped working stuff. But strangely when i deactivated xmp (just to try out) i was able to install both games perfectly. After that i tried to turn the xmp back on. I was able to boot the pc and everything was fine. Then i was installing "Xbox 360 controller driver" and in the end it asked for restart and i pressed to do it. Surprise, got a blue screen (something about memory management) and after that couldnt boot, everytime i got blue screens with different errors, either something about kernel or checksum.

I dont have anything overclocked except for the enabled xmp. Do you have any ideas on how to fix it? Or what may be causing this... Ram or mobo? Even cpu? Thank you

My current specs:
MSI Z170A GAMING PRO
Intel i5 6600K
G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB) Ripjaws V Series DDR4 3200Mhz
Asus Turbo GTX960 2GB

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
May need a bit of an OC on the CPU, while the mobo is fine for most any data rate, the real primary factor in what you can run (DRAM wise) is the CPU (specifically the MC (memory controller) in the CPU. With Skylake CPUs you often may need a CPU OC from around 2800 on up, dependinng on how good your individual CPU/MC is...it's a silicon lottery thing